Guest viewing is limited

THR Ray's Right THR Recovery

Week 8 milestone, normal as she goes. I dragged the pressure washer out and did my steps, stoop, driveway and front brick. I didn't even notice the new hip. I need to roll it around back and do the upper and lower decks but I'd need to lift it up onto the lower deck from the ground, about 2 1/2'. I am sure I can do it, but will defer that for a couple more weeks to be super safe.
 
I won't bury the lede: Meralgia paresthetica. Anyone else with anterior THR have this and does it generally resolve over time?

...

My recovery had been going pretty well, I thought, until this. I only took the narco pain meds for a day and a half but now I may have to use them again, at least at night. Ugh. Maybe the anterior approach really isn't the best way to go. IDK.
...
Have your symptoms fully resolved? How long did it take for the numbness and burning to go away?
 
The widespread burning sensation did resolve fairly quickly, but I still have a good bit of skin numbness here approaching week 9 post-op. Hard to tell if it is improving or not because, if so, it is very gradual. I do get a zinger on the nerve once in awhile but no big deal.

I won't bury the lede: Meralgia paresthetica. Anyone else with anterior THR have this and does it generally resolve over time?

...

My recovery had been going pretty well, I thought, until this. I only took the narco pain meds for a day and a half but now I may have to use them again, at least at night. Ugh. Maybe the anterior approach really isn't the best way to go. IDK.
...
Have your symptoms fully resolved? How long did it take for the numbness and burning to go away?
 
I still have a good bit of skin numbness
I am almost 12 weeks post-op and I still have some numbness and pain with pressure to the areas around the incision and and upper thigh. My experience from 11 years ago was that it took a very long time for that to resolve.
 
but I still have a good bit of skin numbness here approaching week 9 post-op.

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Ray!
 
  • Useful
Reactions: Pep
Ray, Do you remember how many days post-op you started driving? I'm talking short drives-@ 5 miles,15 minutes.

Like you, I had a Right Anterior THR and your recovery and mine seem to track similarly.
 
I took a pain pill last night and was able to sleep a little better. Still had the lateral burning sensation come and go, especially early. But sleep is sleep. Burning again some today, too, especially walking right after getting up. Hopefully this will resolve over time.

Later I also got out for my first drive, about 10 miles. No problems getting in or driving, although that was far enough. I could brake with my right operated leg if I needed to but mostly used the left. I also made a grocery store run, using a small cart as a walker. I am not ready for the Boston Marathon but I got this done easily enough... but that was plenty for the day. Now to watch the finish of the Boston marathon.
NVM

This was April 15- only 5 days post op? or 4? I'm at 12 now. My brother is getting tired of driving me around LOL
 
Yes, Apr 15, from April 10 surgery. I could have driven sooner if I had to. Everyone is different and fortunately I didn't have what some folks here describe as "log leg". But since this was my right leg I did use the left foot braking technique the first few drives in my vehicle with auto transmission. I wasn't able to drive my manual trans sports car for a few more weeks, mostly because it is just too low to get in with a post-op hip.

I took a pain pill last night and was able to sleep a little better. Still had the lateral burning sensation come and go, especially early. But sleep is sleep. Burning again some today, too, especially walking right after getting up. Hopefully this will resolve over time.

Later I also got out for my first drive, about 10 miles. No problems getting in or driving, although that was far enough. I could brake with my right operated leg if I needed to but mostly used the left. I also made a grocery store run, using a small cart as a walker. I am not ready for the Boston Marathon but I got this done easily enough... but that was plenty for the day. Now to watch the finish of the Boston marathon.
NVM

This was April 15- only 5 days post op? or 4? I'm at 12 now. My brother is getting tired of driving me around LOL
 
Last edited:
@Pep raylo is correct in saying everyone is different. The important things here are that you are following your post op instructions for driving, are off narcotics, and can suddenly brake with strength and confidence, especially with right sided surgeries. I had very specific instructions when I was discharged home regarding these items. Please err on the side of caution when resuming driving, for everyone's safety. Blessings.
 
I couldn't wait any longer so just past week 9 today I headed out for a bike ride. I rode 21 miles on the C&O Towpath along the Potomac River. Hot and humid already. Oof. The hip did just fine and was far from the most limiting factor. That would be my triceps from supporting my weight on the handlebars and my lack of endurance. The last few miles I was running out of gas. But it felt great to be rolling again. I am going to get out and do this sort of ride a couple or few times a week, but will stay off the roads for awhile where it is a little more risky.

Some photos:

Trail at Point of Rocks
IMG_5544.JPG


Lock house
IMG_5545.JPG


Monocacy River Aqueduct in Dickerson where I start
IMG_5546.JPG


Monocacy Aqueduct
IMG_5547.JPG
 
Go Ray! What a beautiful bike trail!!!

If I was you, I might re-think riding roads and stick to trails. As RNI saw an active 72 yo gentleman, hard core cyclist- with all the gear and whatnot- completely sidelined by a compound fracture from bike accident going downhill down a curve, slipped in the sand, and IIRC, there were some parked cars. Think how hard it would be to go from your present mobility level to severely limited in an instant.

At my age, I've decided a bit of caution is warranted. My own personal wake up call: I love to boogie board in the ocean. One time in California surf a few years ago, I attempted a large wave and was thrown headfirst into the sand and felt a jolt from my head down my spine. Very scary! For a split second I thought I had broken my neck and paralyzed myself. That can happen in shorebreak surf. Ever since, I am very respectful of the waves. If they are large, powerful, and or shorebreak, I defer and wait for a smaller gentler wave. Not worth the risk.

Mobility Rocks! That's why we got these hips replaced, right?
So we can keep right on going as long as possible! :catdance:
 
It is the C&O towpath and goes like 175 miles.

I have been riding my local roads for 30+ years and know them like the back of my hand so I am not worried about crashing on my own, just the cars. I have never been hit but, yes, that could be life changing. But I probably will get back out there at some point, maybe in the fall.

I had a very similar surfing accident in 2010. I grew up in the ocean and we used to body surf during tropical storms down in FL. So, on a vacation to the OBX in 2010 I decided to go body surfing on a red flag day and got pounded. I wasn't totally used to the sandbar setup and a huge wave whacked me good. Head into the bottom, but that wasn't the worst of it. It ripped my left shoulder subscapularis muscle clean off so I could not internally rotate that shoulder. Got it surgically repaired when we got home from the beach. I don't body surf anymore. Well, at least not on red flag days.

I also have a motorcycle I probably should get rid off. LOL.


Go Ray! What a beautiful bike trail!!!

If I was you, I might re-think riding roads and stick to trails. As RNI saw an active 72 yo gentleman, hard core cyclist- with all the gear and whatnot- completely sidelined by a compound fracture from bike accident going downhill down a curve, slipped in the sand, and IIRC, there were some parked cars. Think how hard it would be to go from your present mobility level to severely limited in an instant.

At my age, I've decided a bit of caution is warranted. My own personal wake up call: I love to boogie board in the ocean. One time in California surf a few years ago, I attempted a large wave and was thrown headfirst into the sand and felt a jolt from my head down my spine. Very scary! For a split second I thought I had broken my neck and paralyzed myself. That can happen in shorebreak surf. Ever since, I am very respectful of the waves. If they are large, powerful, and or shorebreak, I defer and wait for a smaller gentler wave. Not worth the risk.

Mobility Rocks! That's why we got these hips replaced, right?
So we can keep right on going as long as possible! :catdance:
 
Last edited:
@raylo Awesome! I recognize those places in your photos. Yes, it got a little steamy here, and there's more on the way next week. Good for you for getting out there. I'm going to start bike shopping soon, looking ahead to when I can ride again at the end of summer. If I do a test ride in the parking lot, it's not really riding, is it? :) :-) (:

The hip did just fine and was far from the most limiting factor. That would be my triceps from supporting my weight on the handlebars and my lack of endurance.

I can relate. I'm still limiting myself to my trainer, and the only thing that bothers me is my back. It's not bad, but I can tell that I lost the core strength I need for riding.
 
Yeah, I have done nothing longer than an hour on the trainer and today took me a bit beyond that. And my trainer setup is more upright so doesn't work those other muscles you need for a real bike. I remember the day where 20 miles wasn't even worth getting out of bed for, but now is a good workout! LOL.

Have fun bike shopping. What are you looking for? But be careful, strange parking lots might be worse than a real ride.

@raylo Awesome! I recognize those places in your photos. Yes, it got a little steamy here, and there's more on the way next week. Good for you for getting out there. I'm going to start bike shopping soon, looking ahead to when I can ride again at the end of summer. If I do a test ride in the parking lot, it's not really riding, is it? :) :-) (:

The hip did just fine and was far from the most limiting factor. That would be my triceps from supporting my weight on the handlebars and my lack of endurance.

I can relate. I'm still limiting myself to my trainer, and the only thing that bothers me is my back. It's not bad, but I can tell that I lost the core strength I need for riding.
 
....I don't body surf anymore. Well, at least not on red flag days.

I also have a motorcycle I probably should get rid off. LOL.

Adrenaline junkie much? :loll:
 
Oh, maybe moderately. I never take crazy risks with any of it, for instance I don't jump my mounting bike, especially now with artificial joints. And I never did anything really crazy like sky diving, hang gliding or base jumping! Those people are nutz. LOL.

....I don't body surf anymore. Well, at least not on red flag days.

I also have a motorcycle I probably should get rid off. LOL.

Adrenaline junkie much? :loll:
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Pep
Have fun bike shopping. What are you looking for? But be careful, strange parking lots might be worse than a real ride.
A new mountain bike. I bought my current one over a decade ago, and I'm sure they have improved a lot since then. Have no idea about any specifics yet.

I bought my road bike (a Parlee) around 2011 or so. Still has rim brakes and doesn't have electronic shifting, but I'm still happy with it. Lots of Chris King on that bike. My gravel bike (Salsa Warbird) is relatively new, so that's a keeper. My other bikes are more or less utility bikes or rain bikes or retro bikes.
 
Every day is a good day to ride! Trail and bike look great out there! Little bike shopping never hurt anything but your wallet
 
I kinda need a new MTB, too since I have converted my old Stumpjumper FSR and Cannondale F1000 to mid drive e-bikes. Both are a hoot to ride and on the road can still get decent exercise... just go a lot faster! I really like Pivot and Ibis and I might even have one except I am right between L and XL and can never decide which size to get. But IDK, I really don't have room for another bike here and, TBH, east coast MTBing isn't the best. Mud, roots, rocks, humidity, bugs. And I am getting too old to crash. LOL.

As for my road bike it is a 2003 LiteSpeed with untold miles on it... still with rim brakes but now wearing 11-speed mechanical Dura-Ace. Disk brakes don't make a whole lot of sense for road bikes, to me anyway. Those DA rim brakes have tons of power and are dead simple. The GRX disks on the gravel bike in the photos really aren't any better.

Have fun bike shopping. What are you looking for? But be careful, strange parking lots might be worse than a real ride.
A new mountain bike. I bought my current one over a decade ago, and I'm sure they have improved a lot since then. Have no idea about any specifics yet.

I bought my road bike (a Parlee) around 2011 or so. Still has rim brakes and doesn't have electronic shifting, but I'm still happy with it. Lots of Chris King on that bike. My gravel bike (Salsa Warbird) is relatively new, so that's a keeper. My other bikes are more or less utility bikes or rain bikes or retro bikes.
 
Another day, another ride... same trail slightly different location. Not sure when I will have another chance to ride and the heat next week may force me to stay indoors again so I had to do it. Today I rode the part from Point of Rocks to Harpers Ferry and back, 25 miles round trip. I actually felt better and stronger than yesterday. I intended to get a photo of Harpers Ferry up on the bluff, but the foliage from the other side of the river was too dense and I didn't want to leave my bike and climb up the footbridge. But here are a few photos. Beautiful day, but upper 80s and humid. Summer is coming big time.


The Appalachian Trail intersects the C&O Tow Path at Weverton and shares it for about 3 miles.
IMG_5551.JPG


Some river rapids.
IMG_5548.JPG
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom