TKR R TKR journey

Nothing like an enjoyable two mile walk with a nice view along the way. :walking:Good for you!
So fulfilling also to be able to do the "normal" things with loved ones again, like breakfast away from home together, or being there for extra curricular activities. I am happy for you! Sorry you landed in the ODIC, hopefully it won't happen again.
I had a video visit with the oncology team yesterday who basically said goodbye forever, nothing else needed (I had a “tumor” - clump of abnormal cells inside my femur - removed at the same time as the TKR) which was great!
What a blessing and such wonderful news! All the best as you continue on your healing journey. Thanks for taking the time to share all of your great progress. :)
 
Hello! Back for a 20 week update. I am getting stronger, and the right knee (surg knee) is already now actually better than the other which is kind of amazing to me because I know the right is absolutely not anywhere near fully healed. We went out trick or treating with our 11 yr old son and his buddies last night. I saw other parents who said “oh wow, you’re getting around fine now!” I walked, stood, chatted for 2.5 hours! I used ice and Advil before bed and feel great today. My son even said “mom, this is the most you’ve walked in a long time!” I still get weird pains and twinges and clicks. Trying to block that stuff out as best I can. Sadly the things that help my right knee in PT (quad extension for example) really irritate my left knee. I’m going to try an HA injection for the left in a few weeks. I still read bonesmart posts everyday!
 
Great update, @almostready? !

I totally relate to the left knee feeling worse as the right knee improves. Same thing happened to me after my first TKR. But, I found as my right knee got stronger and was able to take its share of the load, leftie felt some relief. Hope the same happens for you!
 
Hello, and happy Thanksgiving to those in the US. Well, with all the cooking and cleaning (ie standing), my 5.5 month old knee feels stiff and swollen. Frustrating! Just wondering if standing and cooking ever feels easy and at what point for others out there?
 
Yes, it's very real, and yes it gets better!

When my first TKR was 4.5 months old I was volunteering at a fundraiser for our area disaster center.

I was having overall a GREAT recovery - ROM super, no swelling, etc - but as I was helping set up, welcome people, etc., standing 45 minutes at a time was awful and I had to keep plopping onto the nearest chair and try to sneak in some elevation!
 
Compression type braces help me with that, a lot. Have you tried one yet?
I've got a simple copper infused one, a cheapish Walmart one, and an expensive Bauerfeind brace. They each seem to provide different levels of support and comfort, but the Bauerfeind is without question my favorite one (See the attached picture).
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] R TKR journey
    Screenshot_20241201_075248_Chrome.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom