Guest viewing is limited

TKR R TKR journey

It's understandable to worry - we have all been there - yet I really have to ask how many of those friends had knee replacements?
It's only been two months and both swelling and tightness are very normal in the first few months.

Are you continuing to ice while elevating toes over nose, 45 minutes, at least twice a day?

The bike used briefly with no resistance will probably help - it definitely reduced swelling after my ACL graft surgery.

Another thing to consider is lymphatic drainage self massage. Staffer @CricketHip is our resident maven and I expect she'll chime in!
 
Thanks for the support @Jockette

While I’m on a roll, can I just vent about a few other comments I got at this gathering…
“At least you’re having a relaxing summer!”
“I bet it’s been nice to watch movies and read books. I’d love that.”
“I’m sure you’d be fine at a concert.”

Just blowing off steam, thanks for listening.
 
@mendogal thank you
Yes, no TKRs out there at this gathering - just people who have heard of others distantly doing great.

I will give the bike and some more massage a try and see what happens.

I am still icing and elevating for several hours a day thanks to this site.
 
I think my mouth just hung open with no words!
That happened to me the first time I heard that kind of comment.

So, I was prepared the second time with the reply, "Have you ever had invasive surgery where the doctor used a saw and hammer to remove part of your body and replace it with a foreign object?" That time, it was their mouths that hung open! :heehee:
 
Thanks for the support @Jockette

While I’m on a roll, can I just vent about a few other comments I got at this gathering…
“At least you’re having a relaxing summer!”
“I bet it’s been nice to watch movies and read books. I’d love that.”
“I’m sure you’d be fine at a concert.”

Just blowing off steam, thanks for listening.
Along with “I’ve heard it’s all fine if you just keep up with the exercises “

It sounds like you’re doing really well! I’m five months out and walking quite well but still have swelling and soreness some days. And reslly couldn’t be on exercise bike for more than a minute without my hamstring tendons screaming. But it is all gradually improving so I’m practicing patience lol..
All the best to you.
 
I hope you're able to take a break from all that book reading, movie watching, concert going to actually relax and enjoy your special day, ya Slacker. :wink: :heehee: Happy Two Month Anniversary!

:fingersx:Fingers crossed you have a sense of humor and know I'm only kidding, lol
@almostready?
 
Hello! I am nine weeks out, and I have a large suture knot under my skin off to the side of the incision. It is “dissolvable” but OS says that still can take 18 months or more. I feel like a med student must have tied this giant knot! :skep: Anyway, I was getting some body work, and the practitioner said I could have the doctor go in and take it out - which seems kinda crazy - like open me up at the incision or just away from the incision to get this thing? I’ll obvs ask the surgeon when I see him in two weeks bc it bothers me. It pokes me when I am bending, and I can see a bump where the skin stretches over it. I showed my husband and said ewwwwww. Has anyone else had this and done something about it? Or just let it be…
 
Would people mind sharing how long it took to walk normally on a flat sidewalk? I’m very slow and hesitant. The uneven surface even though it’s flat feels hard to navigate compared to the floors inside the house.
Hi there.

I'm 12 wks post op this Tuesday. I'm still very nervous about walking. I'm OK on straight surfaces. Uneven ground I do worry will do it but very slow. As for going down an hill. It's like I can't bend me knee lol. I'm sure we will get there....just keep going x
 
Hi there, :wave:
A common scenario that you may, or may not experience yourself -

Sometimes instead of dissolving the sutures, your body will push a suture out. When this occurs it is referred to as “spitting” a stitch. It is common enough, and when a stitch does rise to the surface there will likely be an inflamed red spot. Your surgeon likely doesn't want to make an unnecessary incision because any break in the skin can lead to infection and you don't want that.
Best Wishes for your post op appt. in two weeks. Let us know how it goes. Happy Weekend! :SUNsmile:
@almostready?
 
Has anyone else had this and done something about it? Or just let it be…
I can relate -- I had one with my THR. It was at the very bottom of the incision, so I was very aware of it. And it made me crazy! However, the surgeon said to leave it alone and let it resolve on its own -- which it did eventually.

Do let us know what your surgeon says when you see him.
 
I had PT today - nothing new on flexion but I got a 0 on extension! She said she was glad I didn’t backslide on flexing after having to increase my activity so much this week with the family away and being responsible for hilly
dog walks.
 
Would anyone be able to share when and how you have used heat on your knee as part of your recovery process? I’d like to try it but don’t want to get inflamed…so far I’ve used it just once a day on the back of my knee prior to working on extension and am wondering if it might be okay to use on top too.
 
As long as you're not heating the incision area, a little moist heat to the "meat" of the thigh (quads) prior to a little exercise or stretching can be beneficial.
 
Hello - just had my doctor’s appt at 11 weeks. I can’t believe I won’t go back until the one year anniversary! Overall, everything continues to improve. I did a 20 min beginner Peloton ride today. I’m increasing strengthening exercises from PT. Sitting for awhile is not bothersome. Standing still causes stiffness and swelling. I have trouble walking down hills (local issue!). I still have a lot of clicking and snapping in the posterior/lateral area. I asked the surgeon about this. The overall answer was “it’ll get better” which of course I hope is true. My husband was in the room and came out more optimistic than me. I think I was hoping for something like “we’ll figure it out if it doesn’t get better.” I guess I will continue to practice patience. Did we all fail the patience class?? Range of motion is 0/133. He said I might get back to 145 someday since that is what the other knee is (which is different than what he said at the previous visit, but I’ll take it). The knot of suture under my skin is getting smaller, and he said it’ll prob go away by six months. Since my incision is now totally closed, I can go in the pool! Perfect timing for the weekend.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom