TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

I think gravity has something to do with your knee hurting more when you are on your side. The side of your knee that is up is pushing on the part of your knee that is down on the bed. I found I could not lay with my surgical leg on the bottom, it had to be on top and thrown over up on the bed. That's the only way I could lay on my side for a few months. It did get better.

Unfortunately, aches and pains for months are normal after this traumatic surgery. It takes quite a while before they go away, I'd say a year or more. They do diminish but are still there somewhat. Even now, I can have some discomfort when I overdo it. My OS told me not to expect to be pain-free, but better. That's what I am, and it's much better! Please try and be patient and try not to worry so much. As long as your knee isn't hot and red, there is usually nothing to worry about. Pain in different places is normal for months.
 
I asked her about the lymphatic message she said she didn’t know how to do that….I have an appointment next Tuesday, I may have to rethink that!
It is very easy for massage therapists to go too hard. I've had massages where I feel like I've been hit by a car the next day. If you go, it should be light pressure.
 
Our Goddaughters wedding tomorrow! Today I will be taking it extra easy to be nice and rested! I have to figure out how to transport my ice packs, I have a small cooler. Big event!
 
Wedding was good, a lot of walking, so today knee ouch…..also my SI back problem is screaming…….just waiting for me to turn that corner …..
 
so today knee ouch…..also my SI back problem is screaming…
Be sure to take it easy for the next week, to recover from the wedding. I’m sure there was more standing than what you usually do these days. Give PT a miss this week and just do ADLs, rest and elevate.
 
Will do! My knee hasn’t been this much on fire for a while. It’s almost to the point of taking a pain pill but I am not wanting to get back to taking them. I may need to rethink if knee doesn’t calm down tomorrow. But the wedding was fun, so I guess there was a trade off, lol!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Even with our bratty knees, we need and want to experience real life. If we have to rest for a few days afterward, so what, at least we have experienced real life! So, now is the time for you to baby that knee. It performed for you during the wedding and now it's time to give it a break.
 
Very stiff and hurts to bend. I am again sad and frustrated due to people at wedding made me feel I am very behind, asking me are you doing your workouts, etc….. I guess they’ve had people they know heal faster. At least 2 people gave me that opinion. Today marks 11 weeks out from the surgery. I have the energy but the knee doesn’t want to loosen up and stop hurting…… I am almost to 3 months…..oh how I wish I was healed!
 
The hardest part of my recovery was other people’s comments. :console2:

According to the thousands of members threads I’ve read on here, you are having a very normal recovery.
 
Thank you for your transparency. I thought I was going to be in the “20% club”! I just miss sleep, crazy pains and not feeling any confidence. I cry a lot and need to be reminded about marathon analogy! This is the first time I’ve read about what I’m going through. It’s hopeful. (two friends said they were off pain meds at 3 weeks, what’s wrong with me?!).
 
When was your surgery? I am sleeping better at 11 weeks, but still not as normal….it is very depressing, a lot of anxiety and a feeling this is it. Keep posting to BoneSmart ! This is the only place to have hope! I pray your recovery gets better!
 
It’s almost to the point of taking a pain pill but I am not wanting to get back to taking them.
Take the pain pill if you have them. You know that this was a temporary setback caused by overdoing it (worth it for sure). You won't reset the meds regimen, you'll just get some much needed comfort now.
I am again sad and frustrated due to people at wedding made me feel I am very behind, asking me are you doing your workouts, etc….. I guess they’ve had people they know heal faster.
We all hear about these patients who are back doing _____ (insert extreme sport here) by 4 weeks but we don't actually know (m)any. I venture that none of the folks expecting you to be further along have ever had joint replacement. If they did, they are unaware that every knee is different. You are right on time with your healing. Keep progressing at your pace and not some imagined timeline from those not informed. It gets better with time.
 
Thanks hawk2go for the encouragement! Not only am I dealing with the knee but I have SI joint pain which I have an appointment next Monday for an injection, plus tomorrow I see a chiropractor for adjustment and I have Achilles’ tendon problem and being treated for that. Has anyone have these many set backs? I can’t believe this……
 
When was your surgery? I am sleeping better at 11 weeks, but still not as normal….it is very depressing, a lot of anxiety and a feeling this is it. Keep posting to BoneSmart ! This is the only place to have hope! I pray your recovery gets better!
I was close To four months post op before mostly normal sleep stayed. Be patient, even though it’s very hard!

Marie
 
When was your surgery?
[Bonesmart.org] Questions 8 months from surgery


Look at where the highlight is. Everyone's post has this at the bottom. This is their signature and shows what and when their surgeries were.

I also had people ask me if I was doing my PT. I would grimace and shake my head, like the exercises were awful. Little did they know that I did no exercises or PT, just my daily activities. But, I didn't feel the need to explain this to everyone, so I didn't!

I had a lot of different aches and pains after this surgery. I blamed it on my walking differently, pushing different muscles that weren't used to it. It took time, but I did improve.
 
When was your surgery?
1663071574754.png


Look at where the highlight is. Everyone's post has this at the bottom. This is their signature and shows what and when their surgeries were.
as an FYI, if I read BS on my IPhone, that I do not see that info. If it matters, I get notifications via email, click the link and come here to read the post.

Marie
 
Sorry. I use only a laptop for my Bonesmart work.
 
Back
Top Bottom