Guest viewing is limited

TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

Problem is I like to party so I am going to have to reel myself in because I don’t want a set back!
No dancing on the tables this time, party girl!:dancy:

Do try to sit and elevate as often as you can (maybe not at the church, but certainly during the reception).
 
I’m very upset and scared…..again laying in bed and slightly moved to my left and my right surgical leg had pain in the back thigh up to my butt. Bi am now awake with the butt pain. I see back doc Monday, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this and if it is temporary? It’s weird that the pain starts in the back of the thigh and travels up to the butt, at least that is how it feels.
 
@Mickimouse
I have been reading my post op thread from 2018. At the 8 week mark my husband became ill and hospitalized. He had been my caretaker and did a fabulous job! Then I became his caretaker. For an 8 week old knee it was difficult. I was doing way more than I should have. The aches and pains were fast and furious. The knee that had been healing nicely was swollen and sore. My back..ugh. Hip bursitis...ugh.
Once I was able to go back to elevating and icing and resting the knee it subsided. I also iced my back and hip.
Your recent activity level sounds like mine did. You've earned yourself a place in the ODIC. Over Did It Club. Be gentle to your body and new knee. Hope you're feeling better after some rest!
 
Sure is a guessing game about how much activity is too much I have been backing off on activities, I am just concerned what the pain could be when tryin to lay on my side ( oh how I pray I could) or turning slightly to my left when in bed… I pray that goes away and is not permanent damage. That is what I am most concerned with.
 
Could this be what you're dealing with?
 
I am sure you have not done any permanent damage @Mickimouse . But you do need to back off all that activity and take your pain medication. You should not be tapering off medication while pushing ahead with more activity. It's all a balancing act.
 
Piriformis syndrome is what i have been thinking it could be…..unfortunately to help relieve it takes stretches I cannot do at the moment with this knee. I have looked into chiropractors and message therapist near me, I will be contacting. I have back doctor this morning to go over the MRI I had last week. I am on a med schedule of tramadol every 6 hrs, Tylenol every 6 hrs, Advil every 8 hrs and a muscle relaxer as needed. Gosh I feel like I should be more ahead of this game.
 
Hi Mickimouse. Slow and steady is the way forward. Don't beat yourself up and you will get there in the end. I'm 9 months down the line and every day I have little victories. Take care Jcx.
 
Well the back doctor said the MRI showed arthritis (of course) but things looked unremarkable and not even close to thinking of a surgery, thank the Lord! Refereeed me to pain specialist, said message therapy and water therapy would be good . So that is that story.

Now getting very concerned about the pain behind my knee and OS not getting back to me. Like I’ve been saying when I move my leg a certain way, or try to sleep on my side, oh my hurt. I also was messaging my knee and pushed on the back of my knee and yep there was the pain, and that shots up my leg. Could this be a bakers cyst? My hubby said I am reading too much internet, but I’m getting frustrated with my doctor not getting back to me with these concerns……thank God I can at least get some hep here! Anyone help! Thanks!
 
I suppose it could be a bakers cyst.


My hubby said I am reading too much internet, but I’m getting frustrated with my doctor not getting back to me with these concerns…
It’s hard not to research, I did the same thing. That’s how I found Bonesmart!
 
PT today and my ROM went down to 100 flexion, and knee is not swollen, ugh. I am now 10 weeks from my surgery. I am trying so hard not to be discouraged and depressed….I just thought I would be doing better by now. However, the PT did message my quad on surgery leg and part of my scare that looks the most healed. Glad she took an interest that I have pain/discomfort in the thigh / butt area. I really need to concentrate on my walking. I tend not to bend as much as I should, especially in the morning. I think I am making progress but if I am, very little, have to really think about it….I am just so tired of being sad
 
my ROM went down to 100 flexion, and knee is not swollen,
Although you don't see any swelling on the outside, there could still be inflammation inside the knee that is preventing you from bending. I know it's really hard to be patient, but remember that this is a year long recovery and at 10 weeks, you are less than 20% of the way through it.

.I am just so tired of being sad
We all go through post-op blues at different points in our recovery. When I got really low, my husband insisted we go out and do something fun, or he'd act silly to get me to laugh. It's amazing how much that helped.
 
Today I just can’t stop crying, I am so afraid I am going to be the 20% that the replacement left damage. Hubby says to buck up and stop crying, today the pain in thigh, side is hip and butt really bothersome. I don’t know why I can’t pull it together. I know it’s not good to be so upset physically. I’m just so scared. I have tried to pull back with the exercise but hubby insists if I don’t do the workouts I won’t get better. I understand he just doesn’t want to see me so upset.
 
Even though it’s been 10 (long) weeks, in the grand scheme of this recovery taking an average of a year, 10 weeks is still early.

10 weeks is also a prime time for the post op blues to hit:

If you are in pain, stop doing the exercises. Your knee gets plenty of important mobility just going about your day. My husband also felt like yours does, but eventually he respected my ability to choose for myself how I would rehab my knee, which was, without doing the list of exercises.

I cannot post the following enough:

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
Thank you everyone for your kindness and patience with me on this journey. Thinking about yesterday, at PT ( the therapist that was assigned to me from the beginning but has not been with me for the last 4 sessions) really bent my knee back very painfully at least 3 times. I’ve been in much pain in the knee and spot in butt since then. I will need to tell her next week not to do that again! I’ve had others while she was gone do bending, but very gentle and not to point of tears! I see a lot of people getting on with their lives at 6, 8 or 12 weeks and I wonder what is wrong with me? I still need my tramadol, muscle relaxers and over the counter pain relievers. I’m no where close to driving and I need to have the other knee done, ugh……I really wanted and thought I would have a positive experience by this time. So sad
 
There is nothing wrong with you. This is such a long journey, one that can test your patience. Please tell the physical therapist that you will NOT allow bending again unless they stop when you say stop. You’re the boss, not them. While you’re at it, tell your husband to stop. Have him read BS. It is not helping you by saying you need to do the workouts. You don’t need workouts, just gentle movement and ADL’s.

Marie
 
When I get through this, I hope I can give someone searching for answers the support I’ve been given here on BoneSmart! Thanks to all who have shared and God bless!
 
I stopped going to PT before I was 2 months post op. Since they continually bend your painful knee, which is causing your more pain and inflammation, stop going. They are not helping you. By now you certainly have enough knowledge of any exercises you want to do, that don’t hurt. And again, it’s not exercise, or forceful bending, that gets us our ROM back. We get our ROM back when the swelling goes down. Period. Your PT team is maintaining your pain, swelling and inflammation. The sooner you stop going to them, the sooner you will improve and feel better.
 
Amen! My knee was looking less swollen over the weekend, and now, looks swollen to me…..I have an apt with pain management next week for the pain in my rear, and I have a call out to a message therapist that in her reviews have help people after tkr with tight muscles….. you are so right, why is this bending to pain level the norm? Especially for those of us dealing with other factors where the pain doesn’t go away right after! Geez….
 
Back
Top Bottom