TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

I feel Jockette misinterpreted my response to Mickimouse. Pain management is KEY to allowing body to REST and RECOVER, not mask pain signals from too vigorous PT or exercise. I have been vigilant about recognizing my pain thresholds and taking appropriate pain meds to alleviate the resultant aftermath from PT sessions. I always related to my Physical Therapist my pain thresholds which she in turn, respected. I am happy to report that now in week 7 of recovery I am released from prescribed PT sessions, 12 in all. However I will continue on my own to do regular TKR recovery exercises, stretching to achieve more flexion, and additional walking distances. Allowing for days of rest is just as important as exercising, and mindfulness of one's pain thresholds is paramount for recovery.
 
I am trying to back off of the pain meds, so my workouts would not have much of any pain meds. I will be taking oxy one more day than I was switch to tramadol 50mg every 6 hours. My plan is taking before bed(I tend to have more pain at night) and is I am going to try to go without pain meds during the day meaning nothing while workout. Let’s see how it goes!
 
If Tylenol agrees with you, you might consider taking that for a while. I took it regularly for several months after my PKR.

The most effective way to take Tylenol is 2 x 500 mg tablets every 6 hours, to a total of 4,000 mg (4 doses) in 24 hours. You need to take it regularly, to keep up the levels in your bloodstream. If you just take the odd dose now and then, it's far less effective.

Check all other medications you're taking, to make sure there is no Tylenol/Acetaminophen/Paracetamol in them. If there is, scale back one or two of your regular Tylenol doses, so you stay within that safe 24 hour limit of 4,000 mg.
 
Jaycey how did you keep up with your PT having sciatica? I am cutting back on my workouts, did you stop PT altogether? What did your caretaker do to relieve your sciatica as mentioned in your feed above. Tomorrow is the MRI and appointment Monday for results. Will keep all posted. Again thank you all for helping me!
 
Did anyone get pain, almost like a pulled muscle type pain, in the back of the thigh while laying down in my back, and movement a certain way? Almost like a pain/spasm…it’s week 10 and this is a new one. Another healing pain?
 
You may have tight hamstrings, gentle stretching for that area may help. I have purchased a stretch strap like the one my Physical Therapist used. It came with a booklet for many applications for total body stretching.
 
Unfortunately, different aches and pains popping up during this recovery is normal. Did you do something different yesterday? If not, you could have moved in a way last night that your knee doesn't like. You can ice the back of your knee and thigh, too. If that doesn't help, you can try heat as long as it's not close to your healing knee. Heat can feed inflammation. You don't want to do that to your knee!
 
It’s the same pain I get when I’ve tried to lay on my side, but I was on my back. The only other thing I can think of is PT gave me some exercises for my back, squeeze a ball between both knees and some on the back clamshell stretches. I just don’t know what is normal or when I should contact the doctor ugh….. again, thanks to all for helping me through this
 
PT gave me some exercises for my back, squeeze a ball between both knees and some on the back clamshell stretches.

Since that is a new exercise, I bet that's your culprit. Stop doing those for a few weeks and see how you do.
 
Yep! Having a double whammy really is upsetting, knee and back pain. I feel like I will never get better my heart is breaking
 
But, you will get better. 99% of us that have been on Bonesmart got better! You will, too. Just remember, it won't be overnight. Did your knee get bad overnight? Nope, that arthritis came on gradually. Your healing won't take near as long as that developing arthritis did! Patience is the main muscle to exercise! :flwrysmile:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Again, thank you for giving me hope! It is just so strange that you feel like things are going in the right direction then a new pain comes along.
 
Hi,
My husband had a TKR earlier this year which caused him a lot of pain. The physio in the hospital wasn't happy with his flexion at all and threatened if it didn't improve he'd need to go back to surgery. This was in the first few days. Fortunately after discharge his new physio didn't agree and told him not to do too much that it would eventually improve.
He was unable to do the exercises recommended for some time which the physio was happy with.
He suffered a lot of pain which required many repeats of oxycodone. He also despaired and thought the pain wouldn't go away and thought he shouldn't have had it done. However at 11 weeks the pain seemed to disappear and he no longer required any pain medications and could walk without pain.
Going up and down stairs took a while until he could do it naturally.
Don't give up hope and hang in there.
 
Thank you for reassurance! Today my back and leg has been horrible……I am now on tramadol and just doesn’t seem to work as well as oxycodone but doctor had to stop giving that, Ohio has very strict opioid laws. I don’t think I am doing too much, but maybe I am..I only did my PT exercises once today, walked for 10 mins, but I did go on our pontoon boat with company for about 2 hours. Also I have noticed when I come down stairs very difficult. I am so looking forward to turning a corner soon!
 
For many of us, going downstairs takes quite a while. 2months post op is early days. It will get better. :console2:
 
I did go on our pontoon boat with company for about 2 hours.
Climbing in and out of a boat puts a lot of stress on a new knee. I have a kayak and I know!
When you are this painful, you should stop all exercises and excess activities until it settles down. That means just doing the around-the-house daily activities until you're feeling better.
 
Thanks Sistersinhim! We have a pontoon so easy to get on and off, but even though the boat is normally comfortable, but no matter where I go or do, my leg eventually will swell….so doing things makes me nervous because I seem to end up in pain. I have a very important wedding in two weeks (our Goddaughter is getting married) and going to be a long day. I differently will be taking it very easy leading up to that.
 
Be very careful at the wedding. Try to sit as much as you possibly can.

I had a big setback at 4 months post op, which took me a month to improve from. I would have thought that was far enough into my recovery for that not to happen.

Then, just as I started improving, at 5 months, my son got married. It was basically a 3 day event, all total, and 90 minutes from where I lived. Back and forth travel, way too much standing, etc. My whole leg was so upset. It took another month to improve, but set me back for several more months. At the reception I wasn’t able to sit enough and I wasn’t able to elevate. By the time I left the reception I was in so much pain!

So, be careful!
 
So true. Time on your feet and lots of sitting without being able to put your leg up can be an issue. Take every opportunity to sit and and if you can wrangle a break at some point to put your leg up, that could help too.
 
Fortunately where the reception is at a hotel that we are staying at, so from church go back to hotel , rest and ice, reception at 6. Also being there I can go to the room to rest and ice. Surgeons nurse said oh yes I’ll be fine for this wedding. Ugh! Problem is I like to party so I am going to have to reel myself in because I don’t want a set back!
 
Back
Top Bottom