TKR Question on pain and swelling six months post TKR

Oh, dear. I don't feel defeated at all. just trying to say I'm working hard not to over do, and that I was still icing. i'll have to work on my language. And here I am, a writer. I did find out today what it feels like to sit in a writing workshop for 2 hours. ouch! but otherwise all is well except my cap key.
She was responding not to you but to the person whose thread this is, and tagged that person in her reply.
 
@mendogal.yeah, I realized that this morning. sorry for the mixup.
 
Hi All, I am back at my own place. The ride back was an hour so that hurt. But my friends got me up to my apartment then my brother and sister n law came over and got me unpacked and settled in. It’s nice to have my own space but will adjust to being solo. I’m just going to remain hyper focused on icing elevating and walk breaks and block out not having my freedom for a couple more weeks. Lining up shows I want to watch etc. I think I’ll be ok.
 
@Onestepatatime so happy to hear you're back home! Its good you had family to help you get settled back in. Definitely keep concentrating on icing, elevating and walk breaks, they'll do you good. Definitely get you some goofy shows lined up, it will help keep your mind off being stuck in recovery and if you fall asleep, no great loss! :heehee:

Hoping this is the last recovery you need to go through for a really, really long time! You've definitely had more than your share of surgeries over this last few years. You know it gets boring but we're here if you want to reach out. Take care and get settled in for a good evening back at home. :friends:
 
What she said! Between our USA, Canada, Great Britain, and Australia members chances are good that at any hour you're bored, worried, need to vent, etc some folks will be here.
 
Hi, so I will take all you kind people up on that. I had a rough night alone, up 3 times in pain likely because yesterday was a physically demanding day getting back home. And then waking up alone here set me in an unexpectedly bad mood. Been weepy all morning. It’s a gorgeous day out and I wish I can get out and enjoy it. I live 4 blocks from the beach which is def too far to walk yet. I live in an apartment building so maybe I can shuffle outside to get some air later. A friend may come visit later. I feel like I better get my mood in order otherwise it will be a long few weeks.

Thanks for listening!
 
Mood swings are very common after major surgery. :console2:


Maybe when your friend comes later she can help you take a short walk.
 
I live 4 blocks from the beach which is def too far to walk yet.
I don’t love being on the beach but I do like looking at it. I check out a live webcam on the Grand Hotel in Ocean City, MD. I enjoy watching that, one time I saw someone surfing! Maybe something like this can hold you over until you can get there.
 
@Jockette thanks. I need a strategy when I start feeling sorry for myself like this morning. My friend offered to take me to an outdoor concert tonight but at two weeks post op if I keep my leg non elevated for more than 30 min it swells really bad. I hope by end of next week I can get out somewhere. This week I have PT 2x and a doctor appointment.
 
I agree an outdoor concert might be a lot, but since it’s outside, could you bring something to put your leg up on? Even so, at only 2 weeks post op, just getting there could do you in.

Hang in there! :console2:
 
At two weeks I wouldn't venture out past my back deck except for a post op ortho appointment!

At four weeks, while I was going outdoors on my quiet street with my walking stick, I wasn't comfortable - physically or mentally - to be out in truly public venues until six weeks.

But if you can get some fresh air with a friend - maybe a short ride to the beach with a full height folding chair if there's no seating there? - go for it!
 
I am sorry you're feeling a little sad. Hopefully the visit with a friend helped cheer you up.
But if you can get some fresh air with a friend - maybe a short ride to the beach with a full height folding chair if there's no seating there
If you do consider this, I suggest no walking on the sand...not yet anyway. Your gait changes while walking on sand. It's more of a workout because it is an unpredictable and uneven walking surface, which places increased
stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more.

A lawn chair and a cooler to put your feet on for "some" elevation?
 
@Onestepatatime hoping your friend popped in and helped brighten your mood. I so hate the emotional side of recovery. You know its just a phase and it will pass but it seems like its never going to end!

As @Jockette suggested watching a live webcam, I know there's one at the Hogs Breath down in Key West. Figure that can be quite amusing watching the goings on around Duvall St. Our friends have a time share down there so that's how I know about the live feed. I used to check in to it once in a while when I knew they were down there and text them that I was watching. They would get everyone to wave. I grew up on Lake Erie and I know that there is a local webcam that runs 24/7 showing what's happening on the lake. Really a serene thing to watch.
 
Thanks both. Two different friends stopped by which was very nice. I just felt weepy all day. Tomorrow will be a better day. I’ll put some structure to my day and do meditation exercises to manage stress and anxiety. I also have a home aid coming over bc I don’t feel steady showering alone and need some help. I remind myself I was not able to walk prior to surgery and was on crutches and now I can get better. Just takes time.
 
Not certain what your shower set up is, walk in with ledge to step over, or step over the side of the bath tub…or something totally different? Here are a few aids that may help with your shower situation. :fingersx:

Bathtub Grab Bar Safety Rail - Here
Slip Resistant Bath Step - HERE

Happy Monday…hope this helps. :)
@Onestepatatime
 
Thanks. I have the chair and grab bars it’s just my knee kinda buckles and I’d feel better if someone was here. I think I’ll be more secure soon.
 
Hello……first time posting but years of reading! I have had RTKR 2015, LTHR 2016, RTHR 2017, two brain procedures in 2021, LTKR Feb 12 this year (2024) and am waiting for both shoulder replacements to be booked first hopefully in Feb 2025! Hard to think I will have 7 replacements! My son calls me the Bionic Woman……lol

I feel so sorry to hear what you are going through. Having a joint replacement is HARD and often very painful. After keeping that ice machine going make sure you are getting the right pain med that works for you so you can continue doing your exercises which is very important. With my first replacement I had real problems finding a med that worked for my pain, the Pain management team suggested something different than the norm and luckily that worked! Also keep in mind each replacement is completely different at least all of mine have been. I kept a diary right from day 1 and that seemed to help me. I can now honestly say that both my hips feel completely normal, my first knee too. At the 4 month mark for this past replacement I am doing well, still have difficulty walking down stairs but know it will come with time. My surgeons told me to expect a year until you are feeling back to normal, I know it sounds like a long time but it is worth it.
Keep positive thoughts and get all the help you need to make this recovery time easier for you. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you will be happy you made the decision to have the replacement.
Good Luck!
 
@Laurlie
Thanks for coming out of the shadows and joining us here in support and encouragement of others. We're happy to have you and thankful that you returned time and again over the years!
Given your past history with joint replacement and upcoming surgeries, I invite you to start a thread and share a bit about your surgeries / recoveries for the benefit of others. Please join us!
Here is a handy link if you decide to join us - Starting a thread and posting

A great week to you! :)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom