TKR Question on pain and swelling six months post TKR

Thanks Layla not exactly sure what you mean? I usually stay away from anything social media related however if I read something here that I could comment on in a positive way I would be happy to do so.
 
@Laurlie thanks for writing and your words of encouragement. Sounds like you have been through your fair share! I’m trying to stay optimistic as it’s only two weeks. Now that I’m home alone it’s so frustrating every little thing takes so long. Like everyone else, I just want to get on with my life. In 4 years I’ve had seven surgeries. I’m tired and I want to travel, meet a nice guy and have fun.

This group is wonderful hope you decide to join in!
 
I’m almost 6 weeks post L.TKA. The first two weeks are a goofy, painful mess. My head was foggy and couldn’t sleep but short dozes. Pain med did not help me, just made me sleepy and have nightmares. Ice, NSAID, and elevating leg . Takes a while to find a tolerable position. Constant pain, worse with getting up, (I have long legs). You need a walker, ice machine, toilet extender with arms. And a cane. There are support pillows for knee surgery and this helps, but I was most comfortable in my tall bed with large sofa/floor pillows. Less issue standing up. I have 14 stairs to get to bed or shower and stayed on main floor first 3 days. Going up use your good leg first, going down use your surgery leg first. Gets easier over time. First two weeks are the worst. Better by third week and now improving slowing every week. Don’t beat up on yourself. This is a tough surgery!!
 
Thanks Layla not exactly sure what you mean?
Hi again, Laurlie
I was extending an invitation for you to join us by starting a thread where others may enjoy reading about your recovery, possibly learn from what you share and be inspired by your progress. No pressure, no worries.
Have a wonderful week!
 
Had first PT session today. Went ok. Bonus after was having a sandwich at the ocean after. I’m swollen and pooped now. I hired a meal service and the chef came today to cook a week of food. So now I have fresh nutritious meals. On a personal note had a disappointing thing happen. I’ve been seeing my ex bf again who I’ve known for 15 years. Before my surgery he said he would stay with me post op. He shifted and said he didn’t plan on being so busy next few weeks. He’s a teacher and school ended two weeks ago. Offered no reason or apology. Then said let’s get together when you feel better. Seriously?! This is how you find out people’s true colors. I don’t think I’ll be seeing him anymore.
 
Oh criminy... That's a real deep disappointment,
I'm sorry... to quote Maya Angelou... "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."
Hopefully good food and maybe another ocean outing will make for a better rest of the week.
 
Interesting...the chef prepared the meals at your home! Hopefully he cleaned up after all the meal prep also, lol. :wink:
It is unfortunate that you were let down by your friend. While disappointing, you learned you can not count on him when you're in need. Nonetheless hurtful though, I'm sorry. :console2:I hope you're resting, icing and sleep well tonite.
@Onestepatatime
 
Thanks both. Yes the chef cleaned everything up! Yeah sometimes it takes a surgery or tough life event to know who you can count on. My knee is so stiff and painful I’ve been icing and elevating for hours. Feels like today’s outing set me back a bit. Hope I sleep it off.
 
@Onestepatatime checking to see how you slept last night and how you're feeling today. I'm right there with you and the ice and elevating.

The chef coming and cooking a weeks worth of meals and cleaning everything up just sounds wonderful! Sorry that you're ex let you down. You are correct, it takes something like a major surgery or similar to let you know who your real friends are.

Hope you're feeling better today and things start to improve for you. :friends:
 
@Elf1 first how are you feeling? I had PT again and was literally in bed by 8:30 pm. Just exhausted. By end of the day my knee is so stiff it feels like it’s in a cast. Tomorrow is appointment with the surgeon. Now my ex said he wants to visit and help if I’m up for it. I asked for clarification and he said you know…if you are up and running. I said forget it, I need help from a friend or someone who really cares. Not the time now for “other stuff”. Oiy vey. How immature. Or he is clueless to the magnitude of this surgery. I think it will be a few months before I would think about dating again.
 
May I ask what exercises and how much you're doing in PT?
It's possibly "too much too soon" - especially if you're mostly solo at home. Paradoxically this can impair healing by increasing soft tissue trauma and joint inflammation.
 
@mendogal i am doing just gentle stretching at PT right now. Only had 2 sessions so far and they assured me they don’t believe in aggressive PT. I think my knee doesn’t like to be out and about yet, like being out for 2 hours for PT. My lounge doctor just arrived so hope that helps!
 
This is how you find out people’s true colors. I don’t think I’ll be seeing him anymore.
Boy, what a bum. I think that is a correct decision.
I think it will be a few months before I would think about dating again.
Please don't date that loaf, you can do much better than that self-centered man!
My lounge doctor just arrived so hope that helps!
I relied on my so much that I bought one for my recliner and, later on, one for my bed, so I wouldn't have to keep carrying it to both places. It is now kept in a special place in my closet!
 
@Onestepatatime I'm hanging in there. I need to practice what I preach as I have realized I'm a very impatient patient! :snork:. I see doc this coming Wednesday so plan to get a better picture of what this recovery is supposed to be like.

How'd things go with your doc today? Hoping you got a good report.

Definitely think you did the right thing as far as the ex is concerned. :friends:
 
I saw the surgeon today. He showed me a picture he took of my knee during surgery (how random) my cartilage was so far gone I had a crater in the knee that formed. He was pleased to see I could weight bear bc pre surgery I couldn’t bear weight and needed crutches. The only thing is he isn’t happy I’m at 65 degrees and said this is predictive of needing a MUA. He said I’m under medicating and need to manage pain better so I can work on bending. So we will see.
 
You're not even 3 weeks post op.

65 degrees is NOT unusual, and it's highly unlikely that adhesions are forming this quickly. It's much more likely, in our members' experiences, that the swelling is the cause of limited bending.

If you take enough pain meds in order to force your knee to bend more, you will paradoxically suffer a setback because you'll be increasing the swelling.

The "window of opportunity" to gain range of motion is a myth. Here's why.

Some of our members have shared charts of their progress regaining flexion. As you can see, for each, it returned slowly but surely.

Campervan’s ROM history
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months

Bertschb’s ROM history
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees
 
What is the general consensus on traveling post TKR? My mom wants the family to go on a cruise July 21st. That’s 7 weeks post op. I’d have to fly from NJ to Ft Lauderdale…stay in a hotel night before and then deal with boarding the ship etc. right now given my stiffness and pain I cannot imagine going. I’d be afraid I’d be miserable, and it’s not worth it.
 
Check out this thread and if you feel like tagging this member to ask her about her experience, she may or may not receive notifications. She hasn't been on the forum for about a month.
She went on a cruise at 9 weeks post op, but did not have to fly, as you will need to.
Start at post number 299
 
@Layla thanks. I had PT today and she said we need to work on the bend. No manual pressing but some of the stretches hurt across my knee. Not terrible though. Two hours later my leg swelled 2x its size. It’s not good. Hopefully will settle down tomorrow. Ugh
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom