THR question about having surgery post hip replacement

I should have known better than to say how great everything was yesterday when reporting on my progress!
Hi,
You question reminded me of so many of the posts that I have written to this group! My surgery was over a year ago, but every once in awhile, a jolt or the way I'm sitting, or something else, will lead to sensations in my hip area (or back area) sometimes I can't tell - that scare me - I don't know how many times I asked myself - OH, what did I do? I was just fine for SO long and now I've ruined everything by not being careful enough.

But whatever sensation I feel usually goes away after a few days; and everything goes back to normal. I think the most recent thing was my sitting too long with my legs crossed at my computer; when I got up, I felt a tightening in my hip area that scared me SO much. I was almost afraid to take another step so I knew I did something but didn't know what.

I've come to the conclusion that the hip I now have is wonderful, but it's not my original hip and sometimes we do things that puts strain on another part of the area that might cause us mild pain or feeling as if we set ourselves back. This group has helped me realize that it's all part of the healing process. Even if it's over a year, the body is still trying to get used to an artificial hip. I try not to take these things too seriously when they happen (not frequently) -

You'd know if there were any displacement of any kind because you would be in excruciating pain! Try not worry about the small setbacks (like I did)
 
All sounds familiar, when my restrictions were lifted with my left I was anxious to wash my feet. Bending and stretching in the shower gave a a tearing feeling and of course pain followed. No big deal and nothing that time and patience couldn't heal but at the time I thought I really screwed up. And that wasn't the first or the last odd feeling and pain I had with the left and though it was different similar issues with the right.
 
First thank you so much to everyone who has shared their stories! It really helps!
The horrifying scary feeling seems to have mostly subsided, though now I'm walking around with a certain level of anxiety all of the time of course.

My new question is this: I still have little lumps of scar tissue around the incision. They've gone down quite a bit but they are still there and tender to the touch. I"m thinking that when I did my toes the other day that I must have torn/pulled on that scar tissue, because they became *very* tender and sore the next day. They too are better now though still tender.
What do all of you think about the idea of massaging the scar tissue? I see it mentioned quite a bit but don't know anything about it.
btw - my surgeon saw these lumps when I had my 6 weeks checkup and he pronounced them normal for after-surgery and said they would go away with time. I guess much of them are from the retractors used during surgery.

So thoughts on "scar massage"?

Thanks in advance.
 
Just let nature take its course. No massaging needed. Yes this will disappear in time.
 
:hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary!
We’d love to hear how you‘re doing since we last heard from you. Hopefully you’re feeling stronger week by week and beginning to enjoy the things you love again without the pain of a deteriorating hip. Please update us as time allows.
Happy Autumn...hope yours is a good one! :SUNsmile:
@Funnypug
 
Hi Dear Layla,

Thank you so much for checking in.
Can't believe it's been 3 months since surgery! I just had my 12 week checkup and left feeling a little confused - they were trying to figure out what had possibly happened in the event I described above and there really isn't any way to know for sure, except for the surgeon assured me that the hip had not dislocated.
So it appears that I'm still supposed to be careful about getting into a position such as the one I was in, but was given no actual restrictions, and that's the part that confuses me! lol.
 
I was sitting in a chair with my foot up on the chair so I could reach it
We have had several members who reported pain positioning as you are describing early out of surgery. If you think about it, this position or even standing on one leg with your op leg up on something puts a lot of pressure on that new hip.

You might want to wait until you are further out from surgery before trying this again. It's not a lifelong restriction. But a temporary caution. Maybe wait until you are 6 months out?
 
Hi Jaycey,

Thank you for your thoughts - I guess we have to learn as we go. The weird thing was that I felt no pain at all during the time I was in that position, it wasn't until probably at least 30 minutes later that whatever happened, happened. They thought that perhaps one of the inner dissolvable sutures was pulled - or that I tore or stretched scar tissue. Whatever it was, it really took away my new confident feeling and now I'm very cautious about anything that seems to put stress at all in that area.

I'm going to carefully start some PT to help with gentle stretching, I seem to be stiffer than I should be by now - I agree with your idea of waiting longer to really attempt some of these moves.
 
Yes, gentle stretches will help with this stiffness. You are probably asking muscles and tendons to be much more active now. They will complain at first so be very gentle.
 
To all of you who are past this point in your recovery, I'm a little confused about what is "right" or "wrong". At my last app't the surgeon said that my range of motion is very limited and he recommended that I might want to do some PT. I am very leery of PT but I did go yesterday just to see what it was all about; I told the therapist that I was very cautious and didn't want anything extreme done.
They were gentle and did some mild stretching and gave me some basic exercises which I actually am already doing.
I wasn't comfortable there though because I felt that the cleanliness wasn't what I would want considering these times, and I don't really want to go back because of that. SO: my question is - to any of you who have been told you should be working on stretching and increasing range of motion - how did you specifically work on this? Did you find improvement just working on your own?? Will range of motion get better if I just keep doing everyday life things along with exercises and slowly trying to stretch a little bit each day?
I felt like was getting mixed messages from my surgeon and the NP who works with him - they said not to do certain things but it seemed random; and then also said not to live in fear. LOL - ever since my "episode" several weeks ago I have been really cautious...(by the way they couldn't figure out what might have happened at that time, the surgeon said I might have pulled out or loosened an inner suture.....
Sigh..I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance.
 
Three months is still early days. Walking and simple stretches are perfect for a new hip. No need for formal PT. You will continue to improve for quite awhile. Full recovery can take up to one year or more depending on how long you wait for your THR.
 
Firstly, if a moderator sees this can you please tell me how to keep using my original post surgery thread? I looked for it instead of starting a whole new one but couldn't figure out how to keep it on one thread! Help!

Anyway - does anyone have experience or knowledge about protocols/decisions regarding having a surgery post hip replacement? I had my total right hip replacement on July 2nd and now am finding out that I may have to have my gallbladder removed. I'm worried about risk of infection with invasive surgery - I asked my surgeon's office and was told just to tell my surgeon that I've had a hip replacement: this doesn't seem complete enough of an answer to me....though maybe it is and I'm just worried more than I should be.
I'm wondering about the possible need for more antibiotics than would usually be given - that's my biggest question.

Thanks in advance if anyone has experience in this area. I also did talk to the surgeon who would remove the gallbladder and he said he always gives antibiotics during the time of surgery and agreed that he would feel okay about possibly prescribing some for 3 days afterwards.
 
@Funnypug I merged your 2 threads for you. Here's instructions on How can I find my threads and posts?

I've had both hips replaced and had angioplasty and 2 stents several years ago. It's in my medical record that I had THR but I never really worried about infection from another procedure. Just be sure and let staff know about your replaced hip. Sounds like your surgeon is already on board with this. Please don't worry.
 
I did nothing but walk and activities of daily life for both my knee and hip with great results. Other than gentle stretches' I would just stick to those activities, that and time are what's required.
 
Hello @Funnypug
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I‘m sorry you’re looking at the possibility of gall bladder surgery. I’m sure they will take every precaution and you’ll do just fine. Please stop by and let us know how you’re doing afterward. We’re here and we care.
I hope you have a nice week!
 
Hello. 2 things in my experience:
1) I found my range of motion/strength improved with time, lots of time, by just doing normal day to day things. Just keep moving and adding normal things as your strength and stamina and courage allow. Patience and gentleness here in the beginning. It may be hard to believe right now, but soon you’ll start to forget about your hip. That time frame just keeps expanding. I’m basically back to everything I was able to do before this journey started.
2) Granted I’m almost 2 years post THR, I just had non-joint surgery without issue. All is well. I received preop antibiotics because that was their protocol for everyone. They were well aware of my THR. If your surgeon is not worried and plans to give you antibiotics, I wouldn’t worry either. Just remember to give yourself plenty of time to heal as you’ll still be doing some healing from your THR. Blessings for successful surgery.❤️
 
Having had 4 joints replaced within the last 2 years one 7 m0nths apart and the second 3 months apart ,iwouldsay they all qualify as major surgery, so I wouldn’t be worried about having your gallbladder removed. I am sure they will take all the necessary precautions to watch for any infections developing.
 
Thank you to everyone who has replied! It really does help to know that so many of you have had surgeries post THR and that there's no need to worry about getting any "special" antibiotics.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom