Bilateral THR Put2pasture is now garose2hip in recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi ........wanted to address the pain meds. I have severed allergies to so many drugs that they were literally afraid to give me anything, I can remember this so vividly, (don't freak out, it was only because of my allergies) that I was screaming in agony to knock me out as I was in recovery! I was saying the Lord's Prayer and Hail Mary's and begging to make it stop! I remember a nurse stroking my forehead and talking with another person that they had to do something..........that is all I remember other than coming to in the room. They kept me out for most of the day, pushing morphine, dauladin and antihistamine. Don't know what else made up the cocktail that day. Had lots of breakthrough pain, they had to stop the dauladin as I was itching, the gave me tordol, but they said it was hard on the kidneys, started giving me my oral morphine and iv morphine and zanaflex. It is hard to find a perfect happy place for me, lots of experimenting. I have found that cutting a full tablet and taking it every 6 hours vs. a full tablet every 12 helps manage severe break through. Ambien at night, Benadryl through out the day as is pollen season here also. My quads and knees hurts more than my hips actually. Ice till numb. My hips actually feel better when my knees are bent in half. Thanks for being there.
 
@GaRosehippy Congratulations on making it to the other side! Sorry about the issues while they sorted your meds but it sounds like you're doing great now. Good for you - I wish you a speedy, comfortable recovery.
 
@GaRosehippy I have read some threads where folks complain of new pain in one/both knees; and it seems
that when the OS does anterior, they really pull/push on the knee in the process of dislocating the orginal joint.
Your BTHR was anterior wasn't it? Just curious if that might be connected....
Gosh, well thanks for reporting the real deal with the pain and the meds on day one for you.
Everyone is different; AND you had two surgeries rather than just one.

I hope today and each day coming gets a little better for you; and I know it will. :SUNsmile:
 
Good morning! Hopefully you are allowing yourself the luxury of many naps and lots of ice. Gentle movement. Getting up to the bathroom is a workout! No pushing! The first week is all about sleeping off the trauma of the major surgery you just had. $25 is a very good price for a blood test (my little furbuddy, Alexus, had one done at the vet yesterday and it was $35!). Recovery is tough. It is long, boring, tedious and painful. Feeling all alone is exactly how I felt too. I would escape by watching movies which would inevitably put me to sleep and hanging out on Bonesmart. Be patient with yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. You may have to give up some activity now, but in the long run (12-18 months), the transformation you will have will be incredible! Sending you peaceful healing thoughts. Hang in there!
 
@GaRosehippy Yes this part of recovery is the pits! Especially when you've had both hips done at once! BUT it does get better ... slowly but surely. Ice, Elevate, REST, and take what medications you can. And do keep us informed. And yes I found legs felt better with knees slightly bent as well. And yes knees did ache a bit for a while - I think getting the hips done just let the knees relax and of course the swelling from surgery didn't make the knees feel real great. But once you're doing more walking that will most likely sort it self out and knees will be happy to have good, pain free hips for more natural walking patterns.
 
Hello buddies,,,wanting to sound personal but my brain has begun to twerk from the ambien and I want to still be in control of my words and feelings. ago thanks for being there. Today, I felt so good when my day started, got up said hello to my fur/feathered babies, refilled water, grabbed a yogurt and shake, back to bed, take the most worshipped drug I have which is the zanaflex 4 mg as it knocks me out about 35 minutes after consuming it for the next 1-3 hours, oh happy day!! Now that my body is awake my bladder is screaming at me that we have a limited amount of time to avoid a clean up on Aisle 2! Drag one leg, two leg to edge, grab the walker arms and put the contraption in front of me, for a split second, my brains says "no" it's gonna hurt", bladder has daggers flying from its eyes saying....get your butt in gear, so one big swoop I rise to the occasion and with the grace of a eagle my new hips are set very delicately to the throne! Oh HAPPY DAY~!!!I think I am going to journal my schedules for a day or two and see if any one has similarity's. Would be curious to find the truth. Good night my friends and family....Roseann
 
Roseann
You are a hoot!
Your twerking brain!
Yes you should journal these things. We want to hear them.
Hope you have a nice Saturday.
We are at the Nascar races this weekend. Zoom...
 
ok ambien hit for about 3 hours, body is in agony, breakthrough pain every night! Quads feel like they are going to explode, shuffle to the frig, do a shot of capt. morg. coconut, grab a diet mt.dew., crying at this point as I dont' know if I want to try to so-so comfy recliner, the hard as rocks recliner of go back to the bed that is my constant reminder of how much pain I an in! I have this huge mermaid tail that I can't go any where with out, it is heavy and overloaded. I am so tired. Why can't I be like normal druggies and take whatever they give you? My eyes are red and burning from crying, my family is all asleep, damned, my 14 year old dog is lucky enough to be snoring. Why is it always at night when the pain comes in like a silent fog, thick, just slowly embracing my lower extremities and choking them to a straight of pure pain. Nothing helps, not ice, not elevation, not open not closed, not up or down.....anybody have any solutions, I'm here with open ears!
 
Oh Roseann I truly empathise with you. It seems to me the pain is so much worse in the night too and as you have said nothing really helps it. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best x :console2:
 
Showering is huge, you need to rest after that. Hope your recovery continues as well as it has! Sorry I missed your pain in the middle of the night post .... that is tough. It is such a hard time.of the day to be alone. Hope your pain slows down and your sleep gets better!
 
I am calling the dr. on Monday, there has to be something they can give me to assist with the breakthrough pain, it is just agonizing I was on the couch this afternoon watching all the beautiful wild birds pig out, too my zanaflex, pain was really coming on strong and tight, so I mixed a shot of capt morg, coconut rum and a shot of peach schnapps with a 12 oz can of diet mt.dew. Chugged it down and within 10 minutes I staggered to bed and slept blissfully for 4 hours! Now here I am at 2:23 a.m., took a ambien cut in 4s a Benadryl cut in 2 and 1/2 morphine, NOTHING! I am finally mixing a coconut rum/ peach schnapps and another 12 oz can of soda and hope fore the best. this pain thing just takes so long to kick in. I am an empty stomach 99 percent of the time in hopes it will hit faster. Just want/need to peace and rest. I am sure doc. wont be happy with me, but still on the Coumadin, cant take otc pain relievers I have a low tolerance for drugs and alcohol. My knees are so painful too. I keep rubbing my quads, so sore, lower back and buttocks. Any in put speak up, thanks.
 
Sorry you seem to be struggling still with breakthrough pain....think it might be wise to talk to your doc to see if they can get the meds better for you. Bit worried that you are taking alcohol with morphine ,Benadryl and Coumadin as I was only taking paracetamol and codeine with heparin injections and was told strictly no alcohol. I too found I had more knee pain than hip pain after my op and that is still the case. Do hope you get some more sleep too....It's difficult to maintain a good sleep pattern at first. Thinking of you and hoping your pain eases soon. Chrissie xxxx
 
Very sorry to hear you're so in pain. I agree with Hoppy Nanny careful with alcohol morphine etc. Can you phone out of hours GP for advice? I really hope you get some help with this pain and feel better soon.
 
So sorry for your continued pain, I can't imagine. I think alcohol is a problem but more so, Mt. Dew has caffeine and very high caffeine, so that cannot help with your sleep. If there are no drugs that you can use, can you find some non-traditional pain relief, maybe an acupuncturist can visit. I am really stretching but I would insist on seeing your surgeon to find ways to manage your pain. Hang in there!
 
Roseann, I feel so bad for you with your pain issues. I've often thought that doctors shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine without first having a painful major surgery performed on them. Then maybe they would be more sympathetic about their patient's pain and more willing to make the effort to find a solution. I've gone through enough painful sessions and I only had one hip replaced. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have both done. Sorry I can't give you any words of advice, just my sincere wishes that you will find some relief soon.
 
How are you doing today, @GaRosehippy ? Sure hope that your doctor is helping you resolve that awful pain issue.
Thinking of you and hope you are doing much better!!!
 
@GaRosehippy, just catching up. Was away all weekend so finally getting a moment to pop in and see how you are doing. It will take time. I am eight weeks out tomorrow and working full time. Hope others also pop in to wish you well and provide some support as you heal.
 
Hi @GaRosehippy Roseann!
I sure hope you were able to get some relief from your GP or OS today.
I just got back from a soggy frigid awful cold Nascar race in Tennessee. Good grief....
Please let us know that you have been given something to help your pain.
I feel your pain in your words. Hugs....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom