Guest viewing is limited

TKR Put the right knee in...and then the left.

@gertie , I'm feeling pretty good except for the aches and pains that come out at night and keep me awake :tiredwheel:
 
the aches and pains that come out at night
Oh, yes, I know those pesky pains. Have you found a way to cope with them? I suspect they're there in the daytime but there's enough other stuff going on to distract us--but at night, not so much. For me, it's mostly zingers.

Had my outpatient PT eval yesterday and it went well. She was gentle--measured flex, did a couple of tests of strength and said all looked like it was as it should be. Lovely massage of both knees and lower legs, brief try at the stationary bike--felt great on the June knee but was more challenging for the August knee--I could do full revolutions but a little ouchy on August knee so I only did a couple of revolutions. Gave me some gentle exercises for June knee, all designed to avoid irritating still healing tissues. Agreed that it was a challenge to have 2 knees at such different stages of recovery but she seems to have ideas about how to proceed.
 
Sounds like you are doing well with PT. Having two knees are different stages must be rather interesting, especially for things like a bike. You can only do as much as the younger knee lets you. I'm glad your PT has some ideas for helpful, and I hope gentle, exercises.

For me, the night pains were, and still are, mostly positional. My right knee isn't fussy. My left, though, doesn't like it if during the night it bends even slightly to the side. Bending back is no problem. But if gravity pulls it even a little to the inside... well, Old Cranky Knee wakes up. And I wake up. For what it's worth, it has become lots easier to get back to sleep recently, so things do get better. Slowly sometimes, but better.
 
@gertie, this is a great progress report and you seem to be moving along beautifully; huzzah! I agree with Susie on how ...er...*interesting* it must be to try and rehab 2 legs that have only 6 weeks between them! Talk about challenging, eh? Good for you in getting out and about so much in our wonderful weather!
 
Had a good knee day today after a bit of an ouchy day yesterday. Not sure what was going on with Augie (#2) yesterday--wearing old shoes? Tattered remnants of Irma affecting Augie? A slightly hilly walk on Friday? Who knows...but the good news is that I woke up today and both Augie and June felt good--and are still feeling good. I started the day by going to Home Depot to buy some replacement LED light bulbs. Fortunately, the bulbs were near the front door and there was no line at checkout so an easy trip. Then after lunch I drove to my favorite orchard for a basket of the last of the season's peaches and some apples and then stopped at another farm store on the way home. And just now I went for my afternoon walk and when I mapped it realized I'd covered about 1/2 mile.

I'll plan on taking it easy tomorrow--nothing planned so I can hang out as needed.
 
Great report gertie! You have turned a corner and on your way to doing more "normal" things. 1/2 mile walk is tremendous for about 6 weeks on your lefty!
 
Fab report @gertie! I agree, it really does sound as though you've turned a corner. 1/2 mile at 6 weeks is great!

Tip: Try to avoid hills for awhile longer if possible; not always possible, I know. Newer knees really seem to prefer flat, at least mine did. I waited until about 8-9 weeks for some hills, and it did come back to bite me a little bit. Nothing terrible, but still, you don't need that right now.

Did you make some pies with those apples and peaches?
 
Gertie, you are officially a woman on the move! :happydance: Fantastic report, and quite smart of you to build in a rest day to avoid ODIC!
 
Well, life got in the way of a "rest" day yesterday. In the morning, I ended up doing a lot of tidying up around the house--nothing strenuous but more up and down and wandering around than is strictly "restful". Then in the afternoon, when I'd planned to finally put feet up and maybe catch a snooze I ended up needing to take aged feline to the emergency vet clinic--2.5 + hours sitting mostly with feet down (I was able to occasionally snag an extra chair to put my feet up but it was busy and the waiting room often at capacity). I got up and paced regularly (my first experience since Augie of getting up from a chair with no arms to push up on). Needless to say I was tired, stressed, and slightly ouchy by the time I got home--but also pleased that I was up to the task.

Today, I've had a couple of quick errands and need to go back to the clinic in an hour and a half to pick up aged feline who spent the night under observation ($$$$$$$) but the rest of the time has been feet up time.
 
Try to avoid hills for awhile longer if possible
This is New England :) "flat" means the hills are just gently rolling rather than steep. I do usually take a route around the neighborhood that is as flat as possible.
 
I was tired, stressed, and slightly ouchy by the time I got home--but also pleased that I was up to the task.

This is great progress--when you can rise to an unforeseen challenge and be optimistic at the end of it even though there's some discomfort. :thumb:
 
Good for you Lynn! You are doing great! You have found you could do things that you perhaps thought you weren't up for just yet and maybe had some consequences but nothing insurmountable. I am sure a staged recovery seems like forever and a day but you will be laughing when some of us have to go back in the coming years for a second TKR and ANOTHER year long recovery!
 
Aw, @gertie, just about the only thing that would blast me out of my chair in the first several weeks post tkr were the dogs. And that they did, for the same reason as yours today; pffft! They really do own us, eh? And our wallets. I hope your kitty is basically ok, nothing serious? Regardless of all, you made it through the day and I'll just echo what everyone else has said about that; congratulations! I hope you can get a real DOR tomorrow though; crossing fingers!

Ah yes, well....New England *flat* isn't exactly flat, lol. I am fortunate to have a beach with a boardwalk about 2 miles away because that's the only actual flat walking area other than the malls, lol. We have some salt marshes down that way that are also flat and nice in the fall and winter when things are less *buggy*.
 
@Pheebs52 Thanks for your concern re: the cat. She's 16 1/2, so a venerable old girl. She had a seizure--first time that I know of--so that's cause for concern but she's fine right now (curled up in my lap). Thank heavens this happened now when I'm driving and feeling stronger and more mobile.
 
Oh dear, that is worrisome, but as you said she's at a venerable age where anything can happen. My dogs are in that same boat, and anything can and does happen, sigh. Yes, thank goodness this occurred now instead of two or three weeks ago! Both of my dogs developed problems in the first 8 weeks of my recovery, one with an ear infection and the other with a UTI. So much $$$ and still ongoing in the case of the chronic ear. But, we love them, and in my case, they're my kids. I figure all of their Vet bills over the years were still cheaper than college tuition; hah!

Sending some feline prayers your way!:mooncat:
 
Saw the surgeon today for my 3 month check for knee #1, although he answered questions about #2 as well and said I could cancel the 3 month check for that knee if I wanted to. It was another frustrating long drive, long wait and 5 minute appt. Ah, well. He said everything looks great, I can kneel if I want to but it might feel weird, I can get in water and swim if I want and can do frog kick with the breast stroke although that might also feel weird. I reported my most recent flexion #s--he didn't measure anything (no one has at these follow up appts--just take my report--and most likely have PT notes in my file). so that's that!

Outpatient PT continues to go well. Appts are just 1/2 hour--I report on how things are going, she shows me any new exercises--balance exercises this week--and then she spends about 15 minutes doing a massage of the lower legs and knees, which feels great. She does take flexion measurements but doesn't fuss about it. She does supine measurements. I bend as far as is comfortable, she measures and says it's looking good and that's it.
 
Great report Gertie! Sounds like both your OS and PT are pleased with your recovery - as well they should be. You are managing staged recoveries quite well. I'll bet you are glad to not have that long drive to the OS any more. Cheers to you! :cheers:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom