TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi My knee Charlie
Yes as soon as you get the OK to get in the pool it will feel really good as your knee will move better and the water offers resistance and reduces the pressure of body weight

The ROM and strenthening programme that my PT devised that I am doing at the moment has a number of exercises and takes 30-45 minutes to do twice

Warm up
Walk and then jog slowly in water that is around waist/chest height for 3-5 minutes

Standing stretches (around 8-10 reps) - use the side for balance
Leg raises forwards and backwards - hold the final one for a count of 10
Side raises
Small kicks (just kicking from below the knee)
Leg circles - raise leg to the side and circle ankles in both directions
Lunges - bend one knee with the other straight and then shift from side to side
Knee bends - slowly bend and straighten both knees

Sitting stretches (8-10 reps) in pool corner
Lie on back with head in corner and open/close legs slowly while tightening leg muscles
Sitting in corner with back against wall
- cycle
- Clench thighs/knees together and slowly straighten and bend legs as far as they will go one at a time
- push alternate legs down towards pool bottom

Conditioning (5-10 minutes but can increase as fitness returns) can choose which ones
Walking/jogging
Deep water jogging ( jog/run in deep end without touching bottom)
Cycling (either in corner or using a foam water "snake")

Cool down
Walking or gentle swimming


Good luck and you will probably find it very tiring the first few times so don't overdo it
:dancy:
 
Hi My way
Yes I am looking forward to going to the wedding but am also rather nervous and worried that I might end up in the ODIC

The good thing is that we are staying at the same place as the wedding so if things get bad I have the opportunity to go to my room and rest my knee :thumb:
 
Puffin thank you so much for the description of your water workout. I am definitely going to follow it!
You do fine at the wedding. It's good that you are staying at the same place less movement. And when you are "done" poof you are back in your room!
 
Just catching up with your thread as I was too poorly to get on here yesterday! So pleased that your are going to the wedding - good for you :yay: I am sure you will have a lovely time and you will get all the assistance you need. And make sure you go up to your room and ice/elevate if you are in pain.

The water exercises look brilliant. If I can get myself to the local pool (when the kids return to school!) then I am going to try them out as I am sure they will help me. Thanks for taking the time to put them on your thread :)

Your OS sounds great. It definitely sounds as if you have similar problems to me. My OS said that I needed a little help too. Put like that makes it seem better rather than having an OS who is annoyed or disappointed with progress. Mine is keen to do something quickly because it appears I am going backwards! Could only manage 56 on the CPM tonight and I've been at 66 before now. Glad that he understands your problems and has signed you off for another 7 weeks to work on your knee. That is great news. By the way, I totally get the feeling of pain when pushed, it is agony isn't it and almost like there is a hard block and beyond that bone breaking.
 
Well I finally got my official permission to travel to the wedding today from the Social Insurance Agency - the wonders of Swedish bureaucracy means that I had to fill in permission forms to leave Sweden for 48 hours while receiving sick pay

Have been back to the pool today for another work out which went well - it seems to me that all of my mobility issues seem to originate in the hard lump in my quad so I will be talking to the OS when I get back
 
Dear puffin,
You are doing so well :) aqua therapy sounds perfect for you & you enjoy it so much :dancy:
Your going to a wedding & will do just fine. When you have a :martini: put the glass on your knee
( double duty ) :rotfl:
Getting out of our 4 walls is a great milestone....to participate in life again..is just the best :yahoo:
For our mind & soul.
You my dear are on your way to reclaiming your life....doesn't it feel great ? :happydance:
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
You're going!!!!!:happydance: :yay: :dancy: Don't do too much :dancy: please.
Wanda
 
I'm looking forward to it - although obviously a little nervous about managing the travelling. My husband has arranged assistance so this should be OK
 
Puffin, I enjoyed reading about your wonderful program in the pool. I love swimming and even went the morning of my surgery, but still have a few more weeks until my OS will release me to get back in the water. I really miss it and as soon as I can, I will be incorporating your program of exercise it really sounds great!
 
Leaving for the airport in a few hours - might be a good idea to get some sleep first but as luck would have it my knee is throbbing because of trying to pack today. I has been very difficult to decide what to take because I still have bruising from the hemtoma so went for a dress and leggings. I chose 2 pairs of shoes flats and low heels - but I doubt I will do much dancing :egypdance: Will have to find a nice couch for relaxation :martini:

Hope everyone has a great weekend and catch up with you all next week
:cheers:
 
Hi Puffin,
Thanks again for the pool inspiration. I spoke to my PT about it and as soon as my OS clears me for the pool, she will schedule one of my appointments in the water to set up a program for me. Probably still be a couple of weeks, but I'm really looking forward to it. Hope you had a GREAT trip!
 
Hi everyone – I am back from my travels to the wedding in Ireland. :martini: I am very glad that I went but gosh am I paying the price today pain-wise and with a knee and shin that has swollen up like a balloon!

I think it was the trip out to Ireland that was the big problem as the assistance that I had booked failed to materialize leaving me to walk long distances at both ends :hissy: and we were at the furthest gates from check-in/baggage reclaim so I probably walked around 2 miles that day – far too much for my poor knee and even the shinbone swelled dramatically. :gaah:

The Hotel itself was beautiful - an old 200 year old building but with no elevators or ground floor bedrooms which meant lots of stairs …. However I am very glad I went and celebrated with family and friends that I have not seen since my accident almost 3 years ago. :martini: The bride (my niece) was beautiful and she and the groom seemed to fully enjoy their day. The actual ceremony was held in an old Mill House built in 1766. The wedding was a very relaxed affair where everyone had fun with no stress, panics or tantrums and the wedding was a mixture of Irish/British/American traditions. I was able to slip away a couple of times to elevate and ice my leg and they were plenty of couches where I could sit and talk with people.:beer: I cannot say that I joined in the dancing – however my cousin’s 6 year old daughter made up for me by dancing until the music stopped!! :happydance: :spin: I managed to stay the course until just before 1am when many guests were starting to leave – although some people stayed to sing songs until 2.30am so it was late before I could sleep :yawn:

However yesterday (Tuesday) was the worst for my knee as a culmination of the previous days – even though I upped my tramadol and even took a morphine tablet the pain was severe on the way home and up in the 7-8 range. This morning I could not even manage to walk to the toilet without the walker so it has been a whole day of elevating and icing:cry:
 
Dear puffin,
I am so happy you had a good time at the wedding :) it sounds wonderful. I am sorry your assistance at the airport
Was non- existent :hissy: I believe that is where all your swelling is coming from.
I am happy you have your meds & are icing & elevating & resting :egypdance:
All that excitement would make a healthy knee tired, so I do hope you can :sleep:
Feel better tomorrow, mission accomplished :friends:
Take care,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Puffin. The wedding sounded lovely and I am so pleased that you enjoyed yourself. I know that despite the knee problems you are glad that you went :happydance: I think you did marvellously, particularly when all the assistance you had arranged didn't happen. You should be proud of yourself!

I hope you have been icing and elevating today and giving that knee a complete rest. Your knee sounds just like mine, very very quick to complain about its treatment! Mine currently hates the cpm machine and responds to every session with heat and swelling and then trying to freeze itself solid.

Hope you feel better tomorrow :)
 
Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip. The wedding sounds like it must have been beautiful and it must have been nice to see your friends and family. I'm sorry to hear about the airport misadventure. That must have been awful!
hopefully a few days rest will make it all well again.
I can only imagine how your poor knee must feel. Mine are a bit upset with me today and that was only after a hike through the hospital for my first post op visit.
Take some me time
Wanda
 
good morning puffin I hope you are starting to feel a bit rested today.
wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom