TKR Progress Report Mazza November 1st 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes absolute sense :-) Husband thought I was daft because he knew it was a term used for things like computers over here :sad: Original Equipment Manufactured, i.e. no replacement software :groan: Not being at all techy I didn't guess too far from the meaning :shocked:
 
Great reports Mazda, your recovery is brilliant. I am heading to Wiltshire on Christmas Eve, BA permitting, via heathrow, I hope the weather is kind to us
 
Thats a fantastic report Mazza. You must be more than happy with that :-) Well done and keep up the good work. X


Osteotomy January 2009
Osteotomy revision September 2009
TKR 1st November 2013
 
@speckybecky Wishing you a safe and uninterrupted journey down. g:bicycle1:
 
Hi Mazza ... just dropping in to say WOW - your ROM and extension sound fantastic ... well, don't sound - they are fantastic. I am green with envy. I am at 8 weeks and yesterday at PT, my ROM had gone backward from 75 to about 65. Why? Don't know. Trying hard to stay positive though.

You sound great and very positive. That mind frame is fantastic. Your Christmas plans sound really nice, especially being dessert queen.

I sincerely hope things continue as positively as they are now.

Take Care ...
Ellen :luv4y:
 
NetballKnees - Don't be too fooled by what sounds like a positive mindset - I'm still frustrated by the slow procedure of mending, but know that I have to be a patient patient, which isn't in my nature. For all I know I might hit a brick wall somewhere along the line.
Don't be despondent about your ROM; they are only numbers. My OS told me yesterday that he doesn't see many patients with my ROM at 6 weeks. Maybe I'm just lucky and it might have something to do with the fact that I was doing light aerobics up to the week I had the surgery. We're all built differently and I definitely thought I'd have more problems than I have because I'm a couple of stone overweight, but the legs were never bad from the knees downwards!! I have size 3 feet but that's the only small part of me :boohoo:
Another week or two and you'll probably make huge strides (excuse pun) towards the goal of improvement all the way.
Do as much as you can with the physio exercises at home, but only what is tolerable. I'm not doing everything they told me at PT session because some of it is too difficult.

Keep going - you'll get there eventually and probably overtake me before you know it :tada:
 
Do as much as you can with the physio exercises at home, but
only what is tolerable. I'm not doing everything they told me at PT session because some of it is too difficult.

Very sensible advice and a great way to advocate on behalf of your knee! :yes!:

Patience - yes, that's the hardest thing for most of us. I'm not a patient person and I usually want things done yesterday, but I had to learn that my will power and wishing didn't influence my knee's progress one little bit. :giggle:

NetballKnees Ellen, I know it's frustrating when you feel you should be making faster progress, but remember that every knee is different.

:kitty chris:Caryl
 
Celle Thank you; I'm also one of those "have to have it done either yesterday or today at the latest", but have definitely learned my lesson through this experience! :doh:

I haven't done any REAL exercises for a couple of days now and really must get down to doing them before I go back to the PT as he will know :hissy:

On the other hand, I've been active with walking and loads of going up and down stairs in returning to help out with my elderly Mum's needs. I permed her hair for Christmas yesterday which meant a lot of standing around on my legs, but I rested them during the evening and things are "normal" today.
 
I think that is great, that type of up and down with the bending should count for something. In PT my therapist has added me standing on the op leg and and tighten the unoperated leg and move the leg slightly forward and to the side while my weight is on the op leg. This is to I am guessing strengthen the op leg. That is one exercise I tend to forget to do when I am home. Oops.. :scare:
 
Mazza, you sound like me when you mention dessert queen. I prefer to not cook at all but if needed I can really do some great desserts.
 
SIX WEEKS + 3 DAYS I feel I overdid the stair walking over the weekend, carrying Christmas decorations up and down, so my TKR is sore today and my back aches, but it probably would have done anyway!
Just taking the painkillers and settling down for a rest having done some shopping for the festivities this morning.
:gbhouse:
 
6 weeks + 4 days - Quite a bit of soreness on the inside of my knee today, but seems to be easier movement walking downstairs compared to yesterday.
This was what my husband (2nd from left, Bass voice) was doing yesterday, fundraising inside a bank that elected to equal the amount raised if they reached £100 - and they did :yay: They worked hard singing for about 3 hours with a break for tea and mince pies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y80-hyF-A0w)

:giftsa::giftsa:
 
6 WEEKS + 5 DAYS Definitely not so sore today and walking upstairs is really no problem at all. Going downstairs needing a bit of bounce. Still dreading seeing the PT tomorrow but can only do what my TKR lets me :sorry:

Managed to get the Christmas tree decorated over the weekend :xmas-tree:
[Bonesmart.org] Progress Report Mazza November 1st 2013
 
Wow this is beautiful. Glad to see you are in the spirit and you had the energy to even put the tree up. I think you are doing just great. You got your PT while putting the tree up and going up and down the stairs. You go girl!!! :yay::cheers::happydance::presnt::mer xm::kitty chris::yay::cheers::happydance:
 
.. well have to admit that hubbie actually put the tree up and I just decorated it, but half of the decorations went back into the attic as I didn't have the energy or willpower to do as much a I usually do. He wanted to take what was left to the Charity shop!!!! Any excuse to reduce the storage space :hissy:
 
But I thought decorating was the toughest part.... :wink: At least you were able to do that much and it looks great !!:happydance:
 
SIX WEEKS + SIX DAYS finds me already "discharged" from PT with an extension of 5 and a flexion of 125 deg!! The PT was amazed by the progress I'd made since he last saw me. As long as I continue with exercises at home and adhere to all the rules of regular meds, icing elevating, etc. he is confident that I will eventually regain near to perfect ROM. Whether or not that is the case, I am relieved that I have reached this point in the healing and mending journey.
Having said this, I have an SOS category, which means that I only have to phone the PT department and they will see me again without a GP referral within 3 months.
The PT worked hard (literally) on an area to the outer side and an inch below my knee cap, where there is a junction of ligaments and tendons meeting at the back of my knee. This is where I have to work on preventing any tightening, which at the moment is the main point of soreness. I'm still getting twinges in odd areas, but feel so much better in myself both emotionally and physically.
Without the support of Forum members and the wealth of information available on the BS website, I doubt that I would have got to where I am. Thank you to everyone for sharing experiences and wisdom about the whole TKR process

:mer xm:
 
Wow that is great!!. You should pat yourself on the back. You are doing wonderfully for such as short period of time. Keep up the good work!! :yay::yay::presnt:
 
Congratulations---thank you very, very much for the excellent picture of your tree as well as the excellent report!

As long as I continue with exercises at home and adhere to all the rules of regular meds, icing elevating, etc. he is confident that I will eventually regain near to perfect ROM.
Remember, recovery can take close to a year---mine took eight months or so---so you are doing great!!

I appreciate your patience and your willingness to take it easy!

I'm still getting twinges in odd areas, but feel so much better in myself both emotionally and physically.
That may continue, but the further you go in recovery, the better you will even feel!

Please keep posting and let us know how you are progressing!
 
I'll continue to post, but perhaps only weekly if there's anything significant to report. At the same time, I'll be keeping an eye out for other members who need support as I did, especially when everything felt so bad and I couldn't see past the brick wall of recovery :headbang:

:thankyou::friends::yes!:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom