TKR Progress Report Mazza November 1st 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any time you like @DogLoverx3 - I've never been to Arizona! Just tell me when and "I'll Be There!"

Resting legs while watching TV and perusing Quilting books for ideas :SUNsmile:
 
While you may not need to ice on a regular basis now, it is a good idea if you have overdone things a bit. It does help to calm things down internally. Slap an ice pack on while you're reading the quilting books! Lots of people use icing occasionally for quite a long time after their operation.
 
@Celle I had simply abandoned the icing since being up and about doing normal daily activities, but I will give it a go for a while now. I have also reverted to taking the anti-inflammatory meds to take the edge off the discomfort. It's not a pain anymore, just a general stiffness. Still it didn't stop me trying on and buying a new pair of fashion boots today - with a very low heel I hasten to add! :egypdance:
 
Well 13 weeks today since RTKR!! I can hardly believe where the time has gone, apart from the fact that I've tried and succeeded in keeping myself occupied and regaining my original daily routines. I'm driving whenever I need to but also walking in favour of driving when the weather permits.
Having had Cortisone injections in my wrist and finger has helped a great deal, as I have also been able to get back to doing cross-stitching which helps to while away the dark evenings.
To be honest, the only thing I continue to notice about the TKR is the tight feeling when I bend to walk downstairs, but anybody watching me wouldn't have a clue. Of course the other difference is not kneeling on the floor and I don't walk as fast as I used to. All of that will come in due course and if not at least I'm free from the OA pain except for in my other knee. Now it makes me giggle when I hear the non-TKR crack when I stand up. I just think, ".. and you're next for the chop!"
:egypdance:
 
Has your tight band feeling gone away? My left knee is 20 months old and my right 15 and I still have that tight feeling. I can get at least 120 degree when I stretch with a strap. Sometimes I have that feeling up and down my shins. No knee joint paint at all. Just want that feeling to go away
 
Mazza where in Wilshire are you ? I used to live there when I was a kid.
Good to read a post like yours, you sound so positive about everything and I think that's part of the secret to a good recovery.:SUNsmile:
As for icing, I had my knees both done well over a year ago and I still ice from time to time. It wont hurt and hopefully you wont be on NSAID's for too long, icing helps take down the inflammation too, besides it feels good.
:flwrysmile:
 
@Coniglietta - We live in Chippenham, Wiltshire and absolutely love being here. We moved here from Reading, Berkshire just 12 years ago and have had no regrets. My RTKR was carried out in Bath RUH.

To tell you the truth, @Cflower too - I do have days when I feel absolutely fed up with the slow progress since about 10 weeks post-op. I think everything kept improving up until then, leaving me able to do everything apart from kneel or run, but nothing has changed since that point. For that reason, I still have the "tight" sensation around the TKR and can't be bothered to measure my ROM as it just does what I can manage and I feel that's enough for me. All I want is to be free of the tight feeling and the Movie legs as I saw quoted in one of the Threads here. I can't keep the leg still if it is extended, whether in a chair with support or sitting up in bed. It drives me mad!!

So, I'm glad I sound positive and to be honest there's not much a person can be given the opportunity of extra life in the old leg! But I do have "down" days all the same and then just try to remind myself that I should think myself lucky compared to a lot of people who are worse off than me.

I am still determined to have the other knee done when this one has settled down sufficiently. It already reminds me of the pain that was existent before the surgery, when I made the choice and stuck to it.
 
Just over 4 months since surgery now. I haven't written in a while because to be honest I haven't had much in the way of progress to report.

I still get days that vary as to whether the TKR leg is comfortable or not, but on the whole I am back to normal life apart from finding that I can't walk at a fast pace and when I tried to cycle last week, I nearly fell off the bike with pain!! Consequently, my husband has brought a frame that keeps the bike static so that I can exercise at my own pace in the house, using the bike to get the leg turning. I'm hoping this will gradually improve my ability to turn those wheels and will be able to get back to cycling now that the good weather seems to be making an appearance.
 
Hi Mazza good to hear from you and greetings from Walton on Thames, I have just got an ex bike I use it every day and it helps get rid of the stiffness I hope to cycle in the summer as we have a motorhome and take our bikes so will keep working at it take care
 
Hello @Mazza and @yiayia3, hopefully we'll all be cycling for real very soon, in the meantime I'm practicing on the exercise bike, but I can't wait to get out on the real thing. We'll have to post photos on here as soon as we do. :bicycle1:
 
Crikey @Ellejay and @yiayia3
I've been using my bike on the stand for the past few days now and each day does get better. I've still got pains in other places - that same side hip for instance!! - and my lower back (what's going on there?) but I'm putting it all down to old age now. So I wonder which will be the next part of me for a refit :-) LOL
@YiaYia - we also take our caravan away and more now that we are both retired, so the cycling is essential. I love it - at least on flat areas ..
 
Hi @Mazza, good to see you on the forum. Glad to hear you are doing well. I am too about where you are in the scope of things. Cycling is great for the knee and good exercise as well. I have done the stationery bike here at home about twice. So exhausted when I come home. That is great that you are getting ready for the bicycle trips. Do enjoy. Glad to hear everything is going well. Take good care of yourself. :)
 
:hissy: Have now had a professional diagnosis for the lower back pain - Osteoarthritis of the Facet Joints. That's about all I wanted after going through surgery to correct everything else and there's nothing to be done about this condition from what I've been told.
Feeling very depressed about it at the moment.
 
Hi Mazza sorry to hear about your back I also have facet joint arthritis Have had spinal injections and epidural the last time it really helped maybe worth a try,I fell down the stairs last week so my back is quite bad at the moment my osteopath helps as well hope you can get some relief
 
Hi @Mazza
Sorry to hear about the spinal arthritis. I have it, too, and I was upset when i first learned of it.

However,for me, it does seem to have spells when the pain settles down for a while. When it's bad, I resort to pain relief (Paracetemol for me) and hot bags. A visit to my chiropractor and a back massage help, too.
:flwrysmile:
 
Imagine my pleasure when I read of the instant support from Members here. I have to say this has been a week of agonising thoughts about the future, especially as my husband is just easing into retirement and we are looking forward to doing so many things.

Now I have begun to get my head around it, I am coming to terms with the fact that what can't be changed can only be lived with. There are people a lot worse off than I am and I should be thankful for the 60 years of virtually perfect health I have had previously.

As for meds; I am taking 600mg Ibuprofen + Paracetamol which just about takes the edge off the pain, but it is still constant. I will be starting on 6 weeks (here we go again!) of physio at my local hospital and have exercises to do already. I will see how things go, but possibly pursue the chiropractic and massage route, although I'm not much of a believer in things like that other than following injuries, which this isn't. Maybe as the Facets wear themselves out completely the pain could decrease. I feel it more towards my left at the moment, whereas it was both sides up until a couple of weeks ago. I will probably elect for cortisone injections if it gets any worse than this. Oh what joy!!

@yiayia3 and @Celle - We are now forming a separate branch of BS's - little twigs!

Thank you for both your responses xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom