Guest viewing is limited

TKR Progress Report Mazza November 1st 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazza just noticed we had surgery on the same date :-)


Osteotomy January 2009
Osteotomy revision September 2009
TKR 1st November 2013
 
chereb We are truly Partners in TKR :puppysmooze: Where did you have yours done? Mind was RUH, Bath.

I hadn't noticed the coincidence. So how are you doing now? I am hardly ever using sticks in the house but walking a lot like John Cleese with a Silly Walk. Everybody who sees me tells me how well I'm doing, but if only they knew what it's like to walk with a brick tied to the middle of your leg!! :boohoo:

Some days I just feel like a lazy dollop because I'm used to dashing about doing so many things, including looking after my 88 yr old Mum, which thankfully my daughter and husband do between them while I am out of the frame.

There's only so much TV I can deal with and towards the evening my legs and butt get so achy that I fidget in my recliner, so I'm better off in bed. I absolutely HATE doing the physio because my knee just won't budge anymore than it can through the tightness inside no matter what any Physio is going to tell me! To be fair, every day is a little better than the last, but I'll be glad when I'm at least another couple of weeks further on.

You take care ad keep the pecker up. Are you a million miles away from Wiltshire?
:thumb:
 
DAY 24 - Having a fairly quiet day today and intend writing Christmas cards to get them on their way.

Started the day with icing the TKR before even getting out of bed which was a great help.

Can anybody explain why the ligament/tendon down the outside of my leg is so sore? Is it because of tightening or shredding during the surgery? I know that the new knee had to be repositioned as the other one was so wonky. This is the bit that I find really uncomfortable :doh:
 
Hi Mazza, you sound like you are doing terrific. You are doing so well and have such a great spirit. I am not certain if I was going to fast, but I had a set back Sunday with persistent knee swelling and stiffness. I woke up with it and though AI took my day slowly along with pain medications, the swelling persisted. Even While icing it in church. So I have cut back on what I am doing. I think I was over zealous and started out doing too much. I am slowing it down now especially until this swelling subsidies and will go at my stretches a little less at a time. I have to remember that Rome was not built in a day. What happens too is the weather plays havoc on my body since I have OA and RA. We have had a bad cold spell here on the east coast that threw everyone for a loop. So back to taking it easy so I can be ready to go back to work Jan. 13,2014. That is the plan. Keep doing what you are doing Mazza. I am happy for you. :angel:
 
Hi Mazza i had my surgery in Glasgow Royal Infirmary. From Lanarkshire area in Scotland :-) I hear you about the sore numb butt haha. I havent used my crutches since the middle of last week around the house and short 5 min walk to take/pick my 9 year old up from school. Like you i am normally busy doing things at home and fed up now. However just got to accept it for now and will be worth it in the long run :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Mazza,
Glad to hear you're still dong well.

It does seem to take ages for the swelling and heavy leg feeling to go away, but it will, in time. Keep on resting, icing, elevating - even though you don't see immediate improvement, it all helps.

I found that after a while, even though I didn't really need the crutches or stick for support, they did help me to walk properly, concentrating on "heel, toe, push off", so that I didn't feel like John Cleese!

Caryl
 
Celle - You're so right about the swelling and heavy leg! I tried doing PT exercises earlier today and got no further than previously with ROM before the knee just literally jams! :hairpulling: Even if I could tolerate any more pain (which I'm not prepared to do), the knee simply hasn't enough "give" in it to move.

Even without the sticks I am trying to concentrate on walking with the "heel, toe, push off" technique. Goodness knows how it must feel to be an amputee with a limb prosthesis!!! :shrug: This is bad enough.

So Update DAY 24 - Not a lot of improvement recognised. Did a series of very weird stretching exercises of my own including laying on my back, raising both legs to 90 deg and then seeing where the TKR would "sink" to - well what a laugh that was! :hissy: So back on the recliner with a bag of peas for company for the 4th time today.

I received a called from my local hospital physio dept and they are going to see me from 6th December. Oh to be riding a bike before then!!! :yikes:
 
On the walking straight with the leg, I found out that sometimes I am not just turning my foot out, but my hip as well! It is so much easier with the hip in line! :happydance:
 
:sos: When will the million elastic bands disappear???? They just won't stretch! :headbang: I might have reached 95 deg if I'm lucky but no better than that
 
Those stiff rubber bands will disappear, eventually. Try to remember that it's less than a month since your surgery and everything with this recovery happens S...L...O...W...L...Y the whole process is more like a marathon than a sprint. At this stage, you tissues are all still healing and they're still angry at being cut, sawed, hammered and stitched together again.

Some people find that the "tight rubber band"feeling lasts for months and then goes away so gradually that they barely notice it happening.

95 degrees is pretty good for less than 4 weeks out from surgery. Try not to worry about the numbers. Also, don't rush to be able to ride a bike before you get to physio. Lots of people can't do full rotations for quite a while.

Above all, when you get to physio, remember not to let them do anything that hurts you. Exercising to the point of discomfort is OK, but pain is not. It upsets your hurt tissues adn can actually slow down progress.

Best wishes!
Caryl
 
DAY 26Still stiff, but I think I might have a ROM just less than 90 deg now. Perhaps 85? :tada:

Hubbie and I both a bit fed up with the day in, day out routine and I have to admit that I NEVER want to get out of bed in the morning, knowing that the start will be an effort in itself.

On the brighter side, I know that every day is just a teeny bit better than the last. Oh, when I think back to the time when just lowering the leg to the floor was like a bolt of lightening striking - this has to be an improvement|!
:happydance:

Pretty sure I won't be riding my bicycle to physio sessions, but my friend will take me there and back :friends:
 
Hi Mazza ... Your posts are really inspiring. You are so positive and eager to get on with life. I am 6 weeks today and only slowly coming out of the "poor me" fog. I am a lot more like my normal self now that I have decided to adopt "knee time". The bend is very disappointing, but I am learning to take it as it comes.

Just wanted to visit and say how much I enjoyed reading your posts and your positivity really shines through.

Hope you have a great day and those Christmas cakes taste delicious.

Ellen ... :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Mazza, You sound like you are doing your darnest to do your best. You are striving along so well. We have to take baby steps before we take giant steps. So it's okay. Take your time and one day at a time and you will be fine. I wish you so much luck and keep those peas nearby. :yes!:
 
DAY 27 The third consecutive good night's sleep, without any disturbance from my TKR leg :) . I stayed over at my daughter's house as she has gone away with her husband for a few days and I was in charge of the two grandchildren from this morning, getting them sorted out for school, etc. They are very capable and organised, but it was still quite a responsibility and I am enjoying the luxury of now having the house to myself for the day.

It will be exactly 4 weeks tomorrow since surgery. Where did those weeks go? An awful lot of lazing about (or that's how it seemed), swallowing pain meds, icing the knee attempting physio exercises and feeling disappointed as well as being fed and watered regularly by my husband/Carer :puppysmooze:

If anybody had told me 2 weeks ago that I would have reached this point of improvement I wouldn't have believed them. Thank goodness I had the encouragement and reassurance of the members of this website or I think I would have folded completely earlier on.

Very few pain meds now as I'm not in pain so much as uncomfortable. I can walk without sticks around the house and carefully in the garden. I've done some housework every day for the past week and sat down to do ironing as well as putting laundry through. During the first week home from hospital I was just pleased if I could get myself to the bathroom and back again!! :dancy:

I really can see the light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is still dim. I'm also hoping that by the time I attend my first physio appointment at the hospital next week I will be able to do even more so that they won't be too pushy.

Right, on now with writing Christmas cards because at least I can sit down and do that with the TKR raised!
Best wishes to all of you
 
How are you doing, Chereb?

Forgot to say that I think I have bend of 85 deg - definitely less than 90 anyway!
 
I am 6 weeks today and only slowly coming out of the "poor me" fog

I can really empathise with this feeling and to a large extent I still sink back into that fog at times but think it might be lifting gradually!
 
You're doing so well, Mazza!

Just be careful not to overdo. It's still very early days and you don't have to impress anyone (especially your physiotherapist when you get there). Physios are there to help you, but you don't have to live up to their standards. Just take recovery at the pace that your knee dictates.

If your knee still feels tight (that rubber band feeling) that's also a sort of pain, so don't cut back on your pain medications too soon.
 
DAY 27 - Celle I know what you're saying and I am taking things very slowly, a bit like a tortoise actually. I've never spent so much time just sitting around for the majority of the day. The grandchildren were as good as gold this morning and once they arrived home from school. I did get them some dinner together and now I'm sitting back on the recliner while they do their homework upstairs. :yes:

I really haven't got more than a twinge of "pain" now and then and today it's only in the back of my knee which is quite different. The stairs here are shallower and so that's why I can walk up them "normally" but to come down is too difficult. :headbang: That time will come eventually I'm sure.

I'm not trying to impress anyone else - just myself, otherwise I feel I'm not progressing at all. I won't deny that I'm really frightened about going to the PT next week as there's no way I am going to do anything that hurts. They will think I am being stubborn but that's just too bad. I'll try my best and no more. For the moment I'm just pleased that I can walk around without sticks and exercise the leg without thinking too much about it. A few days ago it was taking over my whole mind set and I even dreaded bathroom trips, but it's no longer dominating my waking (or sleeping) time.

The rubber band feeling isn't as bad as it was, so hopefully that part of my leg is healing nicely. :umm:
 
You're doing great!!!! Keep up the slow and steady pace....it's working for you.
 
DAY 28 - WOW four weeks post op!

Well, I got this far and there's certainly a lot of well earned progress. Just wondering how long before more will show as things seem to slow down once you're on your feet again.

If anything, I get more aches in my hip and lower back from sitting around to elevate. The side of my TKR leg is still tender and the big muscle above is still quite sensitive. I wasn't doing too badly this morning until a bundle of Golden Retriever and Cavashell lunged into me during their play. Have to admit that pound on the leg left me with my head on the worktop for a few breathtaking minutes!! :gaah:

All Christmas Cards finished yesterday and I am beginning to get some Christmas shopping done through Amazon. I couldn't face the thought of being pushed through the crowds in a wheelchair and will be just as happy doing it from my armchair although I miss seeing the Christmas treats in the shops :yes: This way will probably save me money!

That's it for now folks, unless anything else crops up during today. All the best to all of you on both sides. xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom