Guest viewing is limited

TKR Progress Report Mazza November 1st 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mazza - you are doing wonderfully! I hope my experience is as positive as yours. My TRKR is in 2 weeks and i am scared to death! Excited, too, but i just want to get the surgery over with! I love reading your posts...please keep them coming!

Hugs
Denise
 
denpucc I just noticed the "1 more message" marker at the side of my Thread and didn't have a clue what it was, so here I am :kittykiss: How did you fix it to my Thread? :what:

I can quite understand that you are scared at the thought of the surgery and recovery - I was exactly the same, although I have to say that I didn't have much time to think about it as I had a very quick date and worked my socks off to get "my house in order" literally to save on worrying about housework once I'd been "done".

The process of having the surgery is fine; you are well looked after throughout and from my own experience immediately after and for the duration of your hospital stay. What sort of anaesthesia are you having? I had the Spinal Block with sedation and it was the best choice ever. I knew nothing at all about the operation (well, I only have a vague recollection of some hammering, but then the sedation must have been increased!) and the pain relief afterwards was longer lasting than having a General.

I would suggest that once you can get out of bed unassisted, just walk gently and slowly with your frame or sticks to the bathroom and back. For the first couple of days you will probably just do simple exercises on the bed and from a chair and will most likely be catheterised (something else that I dreaded, but knew nothing about apart from the fact that it meant I didn't have to used a potty or be taken to the bathroom!). :blush:

The last thing you want to do is feel sorry for yourself when you get home, which is what happened to me :cry:
Getting home and dealing with your pain relief, gentle exercises, personal care, healthy eating, drinking and sleeping is your main purpose and don't be concerned about anything else for the first week. I started beating myself up because I didn't feel that I was doing as well as before I came home, but given that you are then in different surroundings and dealing with things like ordinary furniture, visitors, phone calls and other interruptions can be stressful. Give yourself as much rest as your body tells you is needed, have somebody wait on your every need if possible and remind yourself that it is major surgery that won't allow you to heal quickly. You will feel as if you've been in a traffic accident for a little while, so treat it as if that's the case knowing that you will survive and get better with every day

The first week at home was the worst and I never thought I'd feel right again. It is VERY painful, but deal with that by using all the tips on the Forum, most importantly by keeping to a regular pain meds regime.

I can't think of what more to tell you as you've read my Thread and I'm probably repeating myself. Just stay calm, go with the flow and contact any of us on here with what might even seems the most trivial of questions or concerns.

You will be OK and I wish you all the very best for your operation and the recuperation to follow. Chin up and keep smiling. :egypdance:
 
Mazza - thank you so much for the encouraging words! They really mean a lot to me. I just answered your post so i guess that is how it came onto your thread. I am also having a spinal (with sedation) and a femoral block which is supposed to last for 48 hours. I wish they would catherize me but they don't want to chance a risk of an infection so i will have to get up and walk to the bathroom right after surgery (when needed) because i do not want to use a bed pan!!! I know the surgery will go fine as i have absolute faith in my OS but i just can't stand the waiting! i can't imagine the pain afterwards even though i've had 9 knee surgeries (7 arthoscopically) but a TKR is a much more brutal surgery. I will just have to keep telling myself that the pain will pass and my new knee will not hurt anymore!

Hugs,
Denise
 
Denise--- request they bring a porta potty next to the bed for you. I did not want to do the bed pan either. My femorel block was still working on my left leg( the leg they did last) and I could not walk to the bathroom myself without a brace. The nurse can help you to the porta potty and back into bed.
 
denpucc My first thought is that they shouldn't fear risk of infection if they carry out the procedure in a clinical setting such as the Theatre prep room! :scratch:. I dreaded having one but it was a doddle compared to the thought of having to get in and out of bed for the first 24 hours post op. Ask them again when you are admitted or have you had your pre-op assessment yet? Otherwise, what gazelle7777 has said is true, they will bring a commode to the side of your bed and assist you to transfer. Don't worry about it at this point; everything will happen in good time and the nursing staff will look after your personal needs until you can do so yourself. Take it slowly now .. Breathe!! :tada:

Ask for or accept whatever pain control they offer you in hospital and don't try to be a hero. I asked for Oramorph whenever I was in pain, regardless of a drug round. By doing that I found I could get around with my sticks and by Day 3 I was taking myself into the bathroom and having a shower unaided by standing with my bad leg away from the water. :dancy: It was great.

Yes, it's a lot worse than arthroscopy, mainly because you've got to work on getting the disturbed tissues healing but moving at the same time. The two don't seem to go together at that time and it's too easy to think about doing nothing other than reclining with your legs up on the bed :martini: It's not the new knee joint that hurts but the stuff that surrounds it which has taken a massive shock.

I've now reached the stage where I can tell that nerve endings are starting to "knit" together as I'm getting short sharp stabbing pains every now and again. On top of that my backside aches because I keep shifting about to get comfortable; none of it is beyond bearable, just uncomfortable.

What is your date for surgery? I will put it in my diary :angel: For now, concentrate on doing everything you want to do before then, knowing that you will have plenty of time to be OK for Christmas.
 
Ty Mazza and @Gazelle...my surgery is set for 3 December. Only 12 more days!!! Great ideas you have shared and i so appreciate your kind words!

Hugs,
Denise
 
:friends: denpucc You're more than welcome, Denise. Don't be scared, - it's only a limb and you wouldn't be having the surgery if not for the fact that your leg will have a better future :)

Ask for any advice you like, no matter how trivial it might seem. Christmas preparations now take priority so that you won't have any of that to deal with afterwards. Have you plenty of family support?
 
Mazza - all my Christmas shopping is done and i will be wrapping the presents before the surgery. I have a wonderful husband but he works long hours. My 23 year old son lives at home but works in NYC so he also works long hours with the commute. My daughter lives in Albany, NY and she will come to visit. She is in nursing school so she can get some good practice...LOL!
 
DAY 20 Well today saw me being driven to an alternative hospital where I have been having surgery for the past year on both my hands (Left Trapeziectomy and Right Trapeziectomy plus fusion of the thumb joint). I am to have a screw removed from the thumb joint in a few weeks and having told the surgeon about another pain in my wrist (at least that's where it is physically!) he has confirmed that I have De Quervains Syndrome and now I am wearing a plaster splint to prevent movement of my wrist in an attempt to rest the ligaments that are inflamed. All good stuff considering that I have just moved to using the left stick and now I can't carry anything in the right as I was so chuffed about yesterday. The bonus is I have a purple plaster with glitter :egypdance:

Having rambled on about all this, apart from first thing this morning, I haven't felt the need for painkillers all day, so I am cutting out the Codeine altogether and just taking Ibuprofen with Paracetamol. Three weeks tomorrow since surgery - I can hardly believe it and know that things are definitely on the "up" or rather "the downward" part of the route - the easier path.

Still not much more improvement in the ROM, but plenty of praise from the different hospital team today as they were impressed with my progress compared to many TKR's they see there :angel:

Will work on physio exercises from tomorrow. :rotfl:
 
denpucc You're far more organised than me! My Christmas shopping will be done through Amazon and I intend to make some cards during the next week.
Will your husband on daughter be at home when you get home, just for the first few days? As long as you have easy meals during the day and somebody with you at night, you will be fine. Be excited and positive from now :dancy:
 
Hi Mazza,
You seem to be dong very well as far as your knee is concerned. :yay: Keep doing the exercises, but be careful not to overdo.
I hope that the enforced rest helps your wrist!
Caryl
 
Celle Thank you very much. Seems strange having all this rest, but I'm now learning to "milk" it rather than resent it :puppysmooze:
 
DAY 21 Can it really be three weeks since I was just coming round from the surgery, wondering why staff were squirting different areas of my body with a cold spray? :umm:

In my wildest dreams I didn't think I would be as far along the way to recovery as this. Obviously I have a lot of healing and physio to do yet, but there is huge ray of light at the end of the tunnel now. My TKR leg aches but isn't what I would call painful - that was until I forgot myself when coming down stairs too quickly to answer the doorbell and had an OUCH moment. I didn't keep to the "one step at a time" and got a sharp reminder of the fact. :gaah:

I now find myself having more contact than ever with a close neighbour who is about to have hip replacement, which is really nice as I can answer most of her questions with honesty and reassurance, which she appreciates. I'm intending to be fit enough to give her some help when she returns home as she lives alone but has family nearby.

So, the weekend ahead is a lot rosier looking compared to the past two. Best wishes to everyone, pre or post op.
:thumb:
 
Your knee, thumb and wrist?! How do manage to continue to be so positive. U r my hero!
 
DAY 22 Believe me it isn't always easy and I'm not constantly positive. Just this morning I'm feeling fed up because I can't go out in the garden, etc. Getting out of bed initially makes me feel quite sick when I have to take that first step to the bathroom. Then by the time I get back into bed I think, "Oh why did this have to happen to me?" :boohoo: There are millions a lot worse off than me and I should think myself fortunate, but enduring pain isn't my forte! :doh:

I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis and from the time I hit 60 (and GP took me off HRT) it felt that my body was going into a downwards spiral. It was only with hindsight that I recognised the start of my knees deteriorating; to begin with wondering what the jabbing pain was when I knelt on the mattress of our bed (was it a large splinter??) and eventually as I recognised the crunching noise had got worse. Once I couldn't walk downstairs other than imitating a crab, it seemed the writing was on the wall! It just creeps on us slowly as you probably know yourself. I also know of folk who get the symptoms but choose to ignore them, but not me as I will explain. I'm not a "patient patient" and very squeamish about stitches, etc. but what has helped me through is focusing on the future, knowing that I have at least given my body a better chance now rather than waiting until I'm another ten years down the line and ending up with a reduced quality of life. I worked in elderly residential care for many years and that made me more determined to get what fixes I can!

As for my hands, it's much the same story. I had both carpal tunnel corrections done years ago, but different pains started to show themselves in my joints, including knuckles. In the past year I've had Trapeziectomy surgery on both wrists, but the second one included having the thumb fused as it was so distorted and painful too. I'd had the De Quervain's previously, so it's no real surprise that it's come back and was most likely triggered when I was using sticks following the knee arthroscopy.

I'm nobody's hero, but lovely of you to say so. Flattery always welcome :heehee:
 
DAY 23 Pleased to report that I had the most comfortable night in bed todate. I even managed to move onto my front and put my TKR leg across the other one, like a recovery position. Bliss! I'm still using a bed pillow between my legs just to soften the pressure.

Walking is still stiff as if my TKR is made of a house brick, but I can honestly say I'm not in pain, just uncomfortable. At least it doesn't feel as if I had it dipped in cement anymore. Taking Paracetamol and Ibuprofen 3 x daily. A glass of Mount Gay Rum and Coke boosted my spirits :martini: during the evening too. Probably the best analgesic in the house! LOL

Today we are having the grandchildren 11 & 14 yrs with us for a few hours which will be great, then out to dinner with the whole family this evening.

Christmas cake fruits have been soaking for several days, so will bake the cake with help from my husband and granddaughter today :bow:
 
Your progress and attitude amaze me!!! Brilliant!!! :dancy:
 
Update to DAY 23 I have managed to walk upstairs using TKR leg to ascend without having to place both feet on one step at a time - not exactly normal, but a great improvement from anything I've achieved up to now. I did have to depend on the banister to help haul me up, but surprised myself this time. :giggle:

The downstairs walk is still painfully and awkwardly impossible. :sad:
 
Cake is baking, grandchildren gone home for a while until we meet up for the restaurant meal later. I haven't done much at all today, but then it is Sunday. :angel: Despite what I've reported about walking without sticks, I do look more like a robot than a human being and husband gets cross if he sees me "swinging" the leg rather than positioning the foot carefully. I guess it's because I can move faster that way. Wait 'til I can chase him again :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom