Guest viewing is limited

THR Progress not Perfection

I am 17 weeks post-op now from my anterior replacement on Nov 1 and I really tweaked my hip while trying to cut my toenails on that foot! I think I bowed the leg out and brought the foot across the midline. It must be muscle pain but it really hurts and I am not sure I can do my PT appointment in 2 days. I don’t know whether I should call the doctor- any advice?
 
As long as you can walk & just some pain, I'd ice & rest & not worry about PT for a few days.
If you dislocated you'd be in horrific pain & need ER.
I was lifting my leg onto living room ottoman last Sunday & didn't want to push it out to accommodate me getting my legs up on it & felt a twinge. Ouch! 2 years later still do stupid stuff.
But I just iced & took it easy next day, Advil & good as new walked 5 miles Friday! New record!!!!
Hope all is ok!
 
I am not sure I can do my PT appointment in 2 days. I don’t know whether I should call the doctor
I'm so sorry to read this. It can be scary when we tweak something after surgery, but I think you are correct about it being muscle pain.

The answer of whether to cancel your PT appointment is really a matter of what your therapist does during those sessions. One time I wrench my back and when I called to cancel my appointment, she told me to come in and she would work on back that session and ignore the hip. I went home feeling so much better!

Will your therapist do hands-on work -- massage, acupressure, etc. -- rather than making you go through a bunch of exercises? You might want to call and ask .
 
You can cancel the PT. I probably would.

If you do go, just tell your PT at the start about your pain and make sure they don't push you into more pain.

Most likely your pain does not signify any damage to the device. But my experience was that calling the surgeon's office was always the fastest way to calm my fear and terror when I had some unexpected pain—and when I was really worrying. Surgeons' offices expect such calls and the best offices are good at having a nurse or a PA call you back in not too long. They listen to your symptoms and then direct you forward. Occasionally they might tell you to come in for an X-ray. After my first surgery, I called the chief nurse multiple times and every time her words relaxed me.

It's odd. You can have pain, but if you feel reassured and have a rough timeline for when the pain should go away and what to do in the meantime, the worry disappears. The worry can drive us nuts.
 
Last edited:
@Going4fun Not odd!!! Anxiety is a known major contributor to both perception of current pain and anticipation of further pain.
 
Mendogal, I was being chicken, playing it ultra cautious. Thanks for the strong backbone!
 
I bought a memory foam pillow to sit on. I take it everywhere! Recliner, bar stool, patio chair and even in the car. First time i got in the car after surgery i told my husband no way! Please go get my pillow. Made me feel like i could go anywhere and be comfortable.
This is coming today after your recommendation! I sure hope it helps me. Is this like yours? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Progress not Perfection
    IMG_6038.png
    95.7 KB · Views: 38
Hello all,
I had my right anterior hip replaced on November 1, 2023. One year ago exactly. I am active- feeding feral cats which involves crawling under bushes and climbing over brush and rocks. Also I trap and return. I am not doing a structured exercise program nor was I walking on a daily basis. On my vacation I have been walking about a mile a day on a dirt road.
My problem is my hip aches and hurts quite a bit. I try to take acetaminophen twice daily. I have a straight up and down build and it almost feels like I don’t have the necessary muscle mass to support the hip. I am rubbing it all day.
I k ow I should start doing my PT exercises again. I was very diligent for the first 8 months or so. Any other thoughts or suggestions welcomed!
 
Sounds like you're like most of us, you know what to do but doing it is the hard part. I'd start with icing when it hurts and get back into at least walking. I'd do whatever I could to stop taking pills to mask the pain, not good in the long run. Post-op I did my walking every day so I could get back to life then like most it became too time consuming and eay to put off. I joined a local gym for exercises, and I joined some of the classes. It's a social club with exercise, makes it easier to go and it's structured with a starting time.
 
@Catmomma Happy (belated) one-year anniversary. Guess it is time for your one-year follow-up with your surgeon.

I'd suggest getting that scheduled to have him/her check your implant and then determine what you need to complete your recovery. If it is soft tissue pain, PT might help. Or, your surgeon might suggest other therapies like massage. Please let us know what you learn -- it may be helpful for others.

Also, please notice that I've merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. We ask members to maintain just one recovery thread for continuity. This way all your information is in one place, making it easy to find and serving as a diary of your recovery. Having all your information is all in one place also enables our staff and other members to advise you better. And you won't miss or lose relevant posts and advice.

So, please post any updates, questions or concerns here. You may want to bookmark your thread to make it easier to find. For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article:
How can I find my threads and posts?

If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.
 
@Catmomma I’m sorry you are still experiencing pain. Many of us, even to a year and beyond, had various aches and pains that came and went. If it is something that is continuous and is limiting you, then you may want to investigate it with your surgeon, like @benne68 suggested.

Occasionally, an acute inflammation occurs due to certain activities that aggravate some of those soft tissues. The way to try and help those is to take NSAIDS (anti-inflammatories) if you are able. You can try the OTC ones to see if they help which might help zero in on what’s causing your pain. Along with icing after activity, you might be able to get a better handle on this. If that doesn’t help, the surgeon is your best bet to help you figure this out. He can check to make sure all is well with the implants and make a general plan for what might be a next step. This might include a prescription anti-inflammatory, formal PT with some time to see if these work.

It’s up to you to decide how this is affecting your quality of life. You don’t have to “settle” for it if it is a concern. There are a few things that can be diagnosed at this time and treated but be prepared for it to take some time to sort out. Hopefully, a few simple things you can do on your own will help. If not, then plan B with your doctor is your next best step. We’re here for you. Keep us posted.
 
Back
Top Bottom