THR Progress not Perfection

Catmomma

Country
United States United States
Sometimes I almost think I can feel the prosthesis with my hand. My thigh will be sore and I have to ice it. Sitting anywhere for very long is hard and I can feel like I’m sitting on metal. Is this my imagination? I am starting my 5th week, and am on 1000 mg 3 x daily and recently started Meloxicam 15 mg once a day. Walking with a cane mostly but the Walker at night or before I have coffee. My PT says I am doing very well and I am doing my exercises conscientiously.
I guess I’m just ready to be well already!

Hi and Welcome @Catmomma
:kittymilk:
This recovery business IS a process and at one month post op... still lots of healing happening.

Wondering which hip you had replaced?
This surgery definitely causes trauma to soft tissue ...muscles and ligaments included... So inflammation/tightness definitely manifests as "hard" which likely is why you feel like you can feel the prosthesis.
Yes, Ice all you can.:ice: This really is what helped me most.
I didn't seem to see alot of outward signs of swelling like some report, but icing was the best anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.

Sitting can be uncomfortable for long periods for sure - many hippies feel like they are sitting on a golf ball.:nah:
It is likely due to an angry piriformis...common after THR
We have an article on Piriformis syndrome HERE
I am glad you are babying that hip by using the walker when tired or unsteady.
Don't want any falls and you will ditch it soon enough.

Also, it is unclear in your post ....What medication is the 1000 mg per day?

You really sound like you are dealing with the same early recovery struggles as most new hippies, so try not to worry too much.
All Temporary and well worth it in the end.
It might be helpful not to overdo the exercises... still early days and sometimes these aren't helpful.
If you don't mind, can you share what exercises you are doing and how many and how often?

I will leave our recovery guidelines below.
Lots of great articles and they may help you navigate this recovery.

Hope your Saturday is Sweet.:kittykiss:

Here you go.
Keep in mind - all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I felt like I was sitting on a brick at the beginning but now at 11 weeks it feels like my other butt cheek. On the weekend I went on a 4 hour car journey and sat for lunch on a hard bench for 2 hours. That feeling subsides over time and is a common sensation with new hips.

Also no hurry to ditch any devices you use to walk. My surgeon told me to keep using crutches eventhough I felt I didn't need them.

You'll get plenty of helpful advice here for your recovery. :flwrysmile:

My PT says I am doing very well and I am doing my exercises conscientiously.
I guess I’m just ready to be well already!
The BIG question is....what exercises are you doing? Most exercises seem to be designed to do nothing more than cause THR patients to have undue pain. We have all gone down the path of trying to force the recovery and our bodies don't like it.

I bought a memory foam pillow to sit on. I take it everywhere! Recliner, bar stool, patio chair and even in the car. First time i got in the car after surgery i told my husband no way! Please go get my pillow. Made me feel like i could go anywhere and be comfortable.

Thank you all for the kind and helpful responses and suggestions! I am taking Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 1000 mg every 8 hours and Mobic 15 mg once a day for pain. The exercises are some in bed and some gentle squats, toe rises and lifting toes, “marching” and the opposite movement, and some sit to stands. I usually walk daily and need to get some sort of step counter because I don’t know how far. I try to increase a little every few days. My ice packs are my friends for sure. I ice down my thigh and hip twice daily at least.
I’m really lucky in that my husband is taking such good care of me. In fact he is oversolicitous at times. I worry about burning him out.
Like one of the kind posters, I manage feral cat colonies, feed them, trap, take for neuter or spay and return. I have a complicated network of feeders and helpers and try to manage that too while recovering. In a way it’s good because it gives me something else to think about. Thanks again for this wonderful and helpful forum and your shares.

Icing goes a long way to relieving pain and reducing swelling. In the early days I iced 24/7 ...meaning day and night whenever possible.

Rarely now as I'm finding heat works better.

Not sure doing squats this early in recovery is advisable? Seems like unnecessary tension/strain on hips.
I think many of us felt like we were sitting on a block or a ball early on. Early days my favorite position was standing or laying down!
You will get there, you cannot force this recovery, it's a patience recovery and each of us recovers at their own pace.

I have no medical training, but I have had 2 THR's.
I would say take a few days off from exercises and see how you feel. trying to strengthen damaged and healing muscles seems to only cause pain. Skip the step counter idea and instead rate your walking on form. Trying to walk too far in early weeks is counterproductive, it just makes us sore and tired, and we walk sloppy which isn't the goal. Can't say enough good things about icing.

I had my left THR on 27th October, just a few days earlier than you. I was given a set of exercises to do right from when I left hospital 2 days after the op. Some of them I could manage fairly easily but others were more difficult .I didn’t stress if I couldn’t do them, just did the ones I could and gently worked up to the harder ones. Within about a week I found they were getting easier to do and my range of movement was improving day by day. Now ( 6 weeks post op) I can do all the exercises very easily with no pain and walk around the house without crutches and pain free.
I know this is not the same for everyone and you must do what is best for you.

I salute you for the work you are doing with the feral cats, it is such a kind and worthwhile thing to be involved in. I am a cat lover too and until my hip got so painful I helped out with a local rescue group, something I hope to return to once fully recovered.

Hi Essex Girl,
I am walking around the house with a cane and often I forget to use it. Still having thigh pain and if I go out to the grocery store it can wear me out very fast. I started driving 3 days ago - don’t go too far!

@Catmomma i was telling my PT that i am now icing my hip, wrist, knee & ankle and she said icing was the ' cheapest non-pharmasutical [sp] most helpful pain-reducing drug for our bodies. ' i thought that was interesting.
I have to put a bit of foam between the seatbelt & my hip. You are doing great at five weeks!! :kittymilk::catwindow:

Starting week 8 and so I am using my cane less and did my daily 1/3 mile walk with walking sticks today. I’m bending more. The doctor said I was released from the restrictions but of course in moderation. My hip hurts almost all the time and I am still icing.

@Catmomma I’m sorry that you are still experiencing so much pain. 8 weeks is actually early in this 52 week (average of one year) recovery. Maybe you are trying to do more than your healing body is ready for, which is causing or maintaining your pain. Many of us are at the same place at 8 weeks. I was still alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen at that point.

You’ll notice that I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread.

Best Wishes as you continue your healing journey. :flwrysmile:

Thank you for your encouragement and I am sorry I posted in the wrong place.

Hi @Catmomma :catbutterfly:
When I read your update, I wanted to go back to My recovery thread to see where I was at and what my concerns were at the same point in my recovery.
I was still dealing with tightness and thigh and groin pain...also, at another point in my recovery, I had some issues with heel/instep pain - possibly plantar fascitis and even some shin pain.:umm:

These issues were all resolved with time but certainly made me nervous (thinking - is this going to be ok?) and I found that I just had to let my body readjust to my new hip, new gait, new posture and it wasn't happening without some travelling pain of discomfort.
Yes, early days... still.
The tennis ball trick does help with the foot pain... also someone suggested using a frozen water bottle to roll my foot on... also helpful.
I hope these hiccups resolve sooner than later so you can have a peaceful holiday.:presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties