Guest viewing is limited

THR Post surgery

Your OS is being proactive rather than taking watch / wait approach. The area around my incision was bright red from the bandage, but the irritation was visible as soon as it was removed, the morning after my THR. My skin was very irritated. I hope the redness clears soon. Keep us posted.
@ajhines19
 
How long did it take to be able to lift leg up
 
@Noxus I can lift it into bed I’m talking about when I’m laying in bed and try to lift it up in the air
 
No need to be lifting leg in air, why do you want to do that? Just straining muscles that are trying to heal.
 
If you're doing the simple exercises like the Quad Sets and Straight Leg Raises that I'm guessing were included in your discharge instructions, those will help you regain strength. Hopefully you're attempting to walk for about 15-20 minutes once a day, maybe even twice a day if it doesn't cause your hip to be painful.

As a reminder -
The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.
 
@Layla i haven’t been walking that much maybe like 3 times a day for like 3 min my pots has been really bad so it’s really hard to
 
I think I’m doing ok I’m off the Walker and cane
 
Awesome, that's fantastic news!

In regard to the POTS, is there anyway you can slowly / safely increase the time on your feet...your daily walks?
Does your PCP or Cardio if you have one have any suggestions for you?
@ajhines19
 
@Layla i called no call back but he won’t have no answer he hasn’t had any answers this whole time I’m going to look for a new one crazy thing is I was so afraid of this happening cause I was feeling the best I have felt since I got pots there 2 weeks before the surgery and all the pots people told me I was going to have problems
 
But even when I can’t get up I do exercise laying down
 
was so afraid of this happening cause I was feeling the best I have felt since I got pots there 2 weeks before the surgery and all the pots people told me I was going to have problems
Really sorry your POTS is worse post op. I have had POTS pretty much since my early teens - although it has gradually improved as I got older ( I used to faint a lot when I was young) and I can now manage it mostly by being really careful with triggers like alcohol/ caffeine/ dehydration etc. It's true from what I have read that even non- POTS sufferers can get autonomic dysfunction ( like dizziness) post joint surgery.
My joint surgery was a partial knee replacement and I was able to mobilise pretty early- so I can't really know what a hip replacement is like. I think from what I have read that blood loss is higher in hip replacement than knees- and that might destabilise POTS.
I know how difficult it can be to get upright and mobilise regularly when you feel weak and dizzy and your pulse goes high when you stand up. Regular exercise is important from various aspects. One is to mobilise the new joint, also to avoid blood clots in the legs ( DVT) and also POTS will get worse if you can't exercise.
Exercising lying down is ok but you need to gradually acclimatise to being more upright again and walking a bit more. I really appreciate that it is hard when you are dealing with not just the pain and unsteadiness post surgery but the worries of dizziness and palpitations from POTS. Is there some way you can spend more time upright and so get back to the good situation you were in pre-op?
This is a really stressful time and pain and stress definitely worsen POTS. I take low dose propranolol- but I know some people find ivabradine more effective.
 
Do you think you can try doing this a couple times daily and then maybe next week slowly increase the time you spend up walking around the house, or even better...outdoors?
 
I was thinking instead of a bunch of little walks do like 2 big walks
 
Back
Top Bottom