Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Struggles

Hi Annekin,

Just wanted to post that I’m in a similar, unfortunate situation two years post surgery.

(42/F) Your post saying you’re “too young to resign yourself to a life in front of the TV” resonated with me - it’s a constant thing on my mind these days.

I’ll be posting my own journey in a new thread. (Dry needling, shockwave therapy, I’ve done it all!) I’ve already ruled out soft tissue and hardware damage - seems that nerve damage is the only thing left despite my symptoms presenting differently.

Strange thing to be hoping for, but as we both know ANY diagnosis is better than none!

Thanks for posting and providing comfort I’m not alone in the most unfortunate of ways.
 
Keep us updated. I had an issue after about 15 months & could hardly walk & resumed using a cane. I had returned to a very physical job & all was fine first couple of weeks but then I was in tough shape & figured I had done something to damage the hip. In any case I had XRay & hip appeared fine & then had MRI & it showed I have spinal stenosis & was referred to spine surgeon. He said no surgery was necessary & scheduled me with pain clinic for injections but after a few weeks of babying myself, ice, rest etc I was back to normal.
Hope all goes well for you.
 
Hi Annekin,

Just wanted to post that I’m in a similar, unfortunate situation two years post surgery.

(42/F) Your post saying you’re “too young to resign yourself to a life in front of the TV” resonated with me - it’s a constant thing on my mind these days.

I’ll be posting my own journey in a new thread. (Dry needling, shockwave therapy, I’ve done it all!) I’ve already ruled out soft tissue and hardware damage - seems that nerve damage is the only thing left despite my symptoms presenting differently.

Strange thing to be hoping for, but as we both know ANY diagnosis is better than none!

Thanks for posting and providing comfort I’m not alone in the most unfortunate of ways.

Hi Annekin,

Just wanted to post that I’m in a similar, unfortunate situation two years post surgery.

(42/F) Your post saying you’re “too young to resign yourself to a life in front of the TV” resonated with me - it’s a constant thing on my mind these days.

I’ll be posting my own journey in a new thread. (Dry needling, shockwave therapy, I’ve done it all!) I’ve already ruled out soft tissue and hardware damage - seems that nerve damage is the only thing left despite my symptoms presenting differently.

Strange thing to be hoping for, but as we both know ANY diagnosis is better than none!

Thanks for posting and providing comfort I’m not alone in the most unfortunate of ways.
It is terribly frustrating. Particularly as I had back pain prior to my hip replacement, but they didn't think to do an MRI (an xray showed no arthritis). I suspect these issues for me are linked to my hip dysplasia, as I read that it can contribute to lower back issues.

I have no idea what they're going to do about the fluid around the prosthesis either. I don't have any symptoms which suggest it could be an infection. I'm also not entirely convinced it's linked to my lateral hip pain. But then I'm not a medical professional so who knows!

The worst bit is having to wait so long for appointments. I waited 5 months to be seen by my consultant, another 3 months to have the operation, then a year for another referral, then 5 months for the MRI. If all this had been dealt with quickly perhaps I would have some more answers by now. But that's the NHS for you! I don't blame them, I blame government under funding. But it's difficult when you feel your life is slipping away whilst you wait for answers!

To not be too doom & gloom though,I have found hydrotherapy has helped make me less stiff. So at least that helps.

I look forward to reading your posts, & I'll update here once I've seen my consultant about the MRI report.
 
Keep us updated. I had an issue after about 15 months & could hardly walk & resumed using a cane. I had returned to a very physical job & all was fine first couple of weeks but then I was in tough shape & figured I had done something to damage the hip. In any case I had XRay & hip appeared fine & then had MRI & it showed I have spinal stenosis & was referred to spine surgeon. He said no surgery was necessary & scheduled me with pain clinic for injections but after a few weeks of babying myself, ice, rest etc I was back to normal.
Hope all goes well for you.
I suspect my orthopaedic surgeon will also refer me a spine surgeon for the back problems. Like you I imagine they suggest an injection, although I know that only takes away the inflammation, it doesn't actually address the problem...Unfortunately I've had this issue for so long now (it started during Covid) resting doesn't really help, although I use an ice pack in the morning to get me going!

My hydrotherapist has a copy of my MRI report, so she may adjust my rehab plan to account for the findings.
Will update when I know more
 
So sorry that you have to wait for answers, @Annekin. That must be so frustrating after all this time.

I hope you can see your surgeon soon.
Thank you! I've been told I'm a priority because I've been waiting so long. So I don't have to wait too much longer!
 
Good luck to you, @Annekin ! I’m very interested in your story. I, too, had back issues before my hip replacement (disc degeneration, 2 bulging discs, etc.). My back had calmed down with all the rest due to my hip and my surgery, but now that my hip is feeling good (just about 4 months post op), and I’m moving around more with exercise, I feel like my back is saying “Hi, remember me?” . I’m going to try visiting my chiropractor first & hope he can help me. I really don’t want to go down the road of injections, etc. As you said, those will take away the pain, but not fix the problem.

I hope you find some answers and relief!
 
Good luck to you, @Annekin ! I’m very interested in your story. I, too, had back issues before my hip replacement (disc degeneration, 2 bulging discs, etc.). My back had calmed down with all the rest due to my hip and my surgery, but now that my hip is feeling good (just about 4 months post op), and I’m moving around more with exercise, I feel like my back is saying “Hi, remember me?” . I’m going to try visiting my chiropractor first & hope he can help me. I really don’t want to go down the road of injections, etc. As you said, those will take away the pain, but not fix the problem.

I hope you find some answers and relief!
It was quite a surprise to find I had "degenerative" issues with my lumbar spine. I thought these were reserved for people with physically demanding jobs or who had experienced trauma?!
As I was an avid walker before these problems, which is meant to be good for back pain, this diagnosis comes as a surprise!

That said, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I had hip dysplasia, until both hips were replaced (5 years apart). Unfortunately I think the gap between the replacements probably worsened my back as having hip dysplasia can mean your lower back overcompensates for the lack of hip stability.

I'm just hoping now I have two good hips, that this helps me strengthen my back again. I have noticed core exercises have helped. So heel touches & bridges, which I do when I'm not doing hydrotherapy. I think for those of us with ongoing issues it may be a long slog, but I do think it's really important to keep going and advocate for yourself.

I hope you also find relief. I'll keep posting on here until such time that I feel I have exhausted all options & hopefully that will be because I've finally got this pain under control. Good luck to us!
 
I had my appointment today with the consultant to discuss my MRI. Nothing terribly revealing. He didn't think my lumbar spine issues were that concerning. Normal for a 53 year old, particularly one with hip dysplasia. He explained that, although the hips have been replaced, the gait has been altered & this includes my back. As others on here have discussed, if you walk in a particular way, & then your gait is altered by a hip replacement, it can be very confusing for your muscles and tendons. That seems to be me.

He did take a look at my hip as well. The fluid around the prosthesis is apparently normal for a hip replacement. The lateral hip pain I have, not so much. He thinks the muscles may not have healed properly at the incision site (I said ouch a lot when he prodded that area). So I'm being referred for guided injections along my left hip. In 6 weeks time I then let him know if it's worked.

Obviously I'll continue with hydrotherapy etc in the meantime. I'm hoping if the injection helps with the hip pain then I can start doing long walks again, as that will help my back. At least that's the current plan. I always have a plan! If it doesn't then I'll get out my credit card and pay for some private healthcare!
 
I love your positive plan and general attitude!

It sounds reasonable that the whole torso is having to readjust to the new you. It sounds like you are on the right track and can really focus on rehabilitation that takes your new posture into consideration. I imagine that the hydrotherapy is really beneficial because you'll be working on strength and agility without straining anything from a posture prospective.
 
Hello and Happy Saturday!
I hope the combo of the hydrotherapy and series of guided injections bring you relief. If you don't achieve the desired result, possibly a PT can help through some targeted exercises. :fingersx:
Thanks for the update. Please stay in touch to let us know how the treatment plan is working.
Have a wonderful weekend, Annekin!
@Annekin
 
I love your positive plan and general attitude!

It sounds reasonable that the whole torso is having to readjust to the new you. It sounds like you are on the right track and can really focus on rehabilitation that takes your new posture into consideration. I imagine that the hydrotherapy is really beneficial because you'll be working on strength and agility without straining anything from a posture prospective.
Thank you. I don't always feel positive. But you have to keep going! My physio is going to tweak my hydrotherapy plan to incorporate the MRI findings. So hopefully that will improve things.
Hopefully, as you say, the injections make a difference. Fingers crossed!
 
Hello and Happy Saturday!
I hope the combo of the hydrotherapy and series of guided injections bring you relief. If you don't achieve the desired result, possibly a PT can help through some targeted exercises. :fingersx:
Thanks for the update. Please stay in touch to let us know how the treatment plan is working.
Have a wonderful weekend, Annekin!
@Annekin
Thank you. Fingers crossed don't have to wait too long for the injections & that they provide some relief.
 
I've received my appointment for the hip injections. The referral letter from the consultant mentioned trochanteric fibrous scar tissue...I showed the letter & MRI to my lovely sports massage therapist who took time to explain where the muscles connected near my hip and why the pain might have originated from the scar. It was helpful seeing 3D images showing how everything is connected. Obviously my consultant could have also explained this to me, but he was probably thinking about his next round of golf (joke!)

It's about a month to my appointment (July 2nd) which will be in the hospital theatre. Mainly because they want to minimise risk of infection because of the prosthesis. I'll update once I've had the treatment. Fingers crossed!
 
I saw my physio today for a catch up after my MRI. She asked me whether I saw an orthopaedics consultant or a neurological one. I honestly didn't know there was a neurological consultant for my issues! But as she pointed out; compression, disc bulging etc in the lumbar spine can be a neurological issue. It was also remiss of my orthopaedics consultant not to refer me to a neurologist when as, my consultant says in his letter, he doesn't know what he can do about my back problems. My physio in contrast feels I'm too young to have this degree of pain.

So she's given me the name of a neurologist in Sheffield. She explained that, although he may well say the only option for me is more physio, he will at least make a thorough assessment (which my orthopaedics consultant hasn't done).

So my plan is to get the cortisone injections first in July, as they may work for me. But if my pain isn't sufficiently addressed I'll book an appointment with the neurologist.

My physio also did some pressure point therapy on my lower back, which helped a lot (for today at least!) and something else aimed at stretching my leg so the muscles aren't so tight (I have no idea what it was, but I felt better afterwards!). I've also got some more core exercises to do and an amended hydrotherapy exercise plan.

So the appointment really helped because I felt listened to and believed. It's not as though I think my consultant thinks I'm lying, but they don't seem to think the issues I have are that serious. And they're not serious in a life threatening sense, but they are stopping me living me life as I was previously able to live it, & that has negatively affected my mental health.

I'm also aware I'm in a privileged position for being able to afford private physio, massage sessions & hydrotherapy and I know these have kept me going. I don't know what I would do if my future was dependent on NHS services alone, because I really don't think they're currently able to offer a good standard of healthcare for those of us with complex issues. Hopefully this will change with more investment. But I don't want to grow old waiting!

Anyway, I just wanted to share how grateful I am that there are people out there who do listen to you, & are prepared to keep trying to help you improve your life. So we'll see how my new physio regime works out!
 
Great update. You really have to advocate for yourself in this current healthcare climate no matter what part of the world you come from. Here in US many doctors are giving up their practices due to high malpractice insurance & low rate of reimbursement from insurers.
Nothing worse than not being “ heard.” And when you find the person (s) that listen & have a plan of action it’s a great relief.
All my best.
 
Nothing worse than not being “ heard.” And when you find the person (s) that listen & have a plan of action it’s a great relief.
Thank you. Being listened to is so important. Because that's part of the patient assessment as well as just prodding and poking around!
 
Hello and Happy Thursday!
I never tire of reading the updates that flow from a grateful heart! I am sorry you're in pain though, Annekin.
Hopefully you find relief soon. Best wishes with the physio appointments.
Take good care! :) :-) (:
@Annekin
 
I'm sure it's a bit of a postcode lottery in terms of physiotherapy on the NHS. I was really disappointed when I was referred prior to surgery. I asked if there were exercises I could do to help and the answer was, 'not really'. You're physio sounds wonderful!
 
Hello and Happy Thursday!
I never tire of reading the updates that flow from a grateful heart! I am sorry you're in pain though, Annekin.
Hopefully you find relief soon. Best wishes with the physio appointments.
Take good care! :) :-) (:
@Annekin
Thanks Layla. I am a bit better (which is better than being worse!) since seeing the physio last week. I really think the pressure point therapy helped along with the new exercises. Although the additional hydrotherapy ones (for my core) are hard. My body is so strange. I can do some things with no issue, & even surprise health professionals with how strong I am. But then you ask me to float in a pool using a float and I sink like a stone! And I use to be strong swimmer. I have swimming badges lol. But my dysplasia has really done a number on my core strength. Changing this will clearly take time!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom