Guest viewing is limited

THR Post Op Struggles

This is an encouraging and excellent report. Sometimes just getting the right combo of things working together helps tremendously. As you said, please be careful to not over do. You know the old saying, slow and steady.
 
My penultimate shock wave therapy appointment is tomorrow. I think it has made some positive difference, but I wouldn't say there has been a drastic improvement, mainly because I have other back/SI problems which shock wave therapy won't help with.

The positives I think are that I recover more quickly from any lateral hip pain I get when I've been walking. For example I went for a 45 min walk on Friday. On Saturday my left gluteal medius tendon was on fire & I could barely walk. However today, after some rest and light physio, I feel much better.

Obviously this is anecdotal, but for me it demonstrates an improvement from prior experiences. Obviously it's not ideal because I really want to get back to my normal walking pattern. Going for long country walks is what makes me happy! But at least I didn't suffer for weeks afterwards as has previously been the case.

I have also read that positive results of shockwave therapy are often reported weeks after the course of treatment has been completed. So hopefully I will report back greater progress in a few weeks time. Fingers crossed!
 
I hope you do feel results in the near future!

You may have addressed this previously... Have you had an experienced body worker do SI releases?
 
Thank you. I'm waiting to have an MRI, which will be in April. So, apart from physio & the shockwave therapy (because I have confirmed tendiopathy) I'm holding off any SI treatment until the MRI confirms SI joint dysfunction is an issue.
 
I had my last shock wave therapy session this week. I then have a review in about 3 weeks to assess any improvement (or not!) As mentioned before, I have noticed it's enabled me to recover more quickly if I over do it with walking, lifting etc. However it hasn't significantly reduced the constant nagging pain I have (mainly in my glutes & lower back). It may be I need more sessions, but I'll wait to see if things improve in the next few weeks.

In the meantime I have booked in a hydrotherapy consultation with a view to developing a plan to help with my lower back pain. It seems (having looked at other bone smart experiences) that hydrotherapy is helpful for SI joint issues because the water can offer support. I struggle with any weight bearing exercises because my pelvis tips forward so it impacts on any improvement. I'm therefore hoping I can get an exercise plan which I can then do at the local pool.

Obviously ideally I'd like to do none of these things and just wake up tomorrow and be pain free! But it seems that's not going to happen for a while (although I take comfort in the fact my pain at least hasn't got worse over the last 18 months). So hydrotherapy is my new plan. Wish me luck!
 
Wishing you the best of luck with the hydrotherapy, Annekin! I hope it brings you relief and helps ease your lower back pain. Fingers crossed your review in three weeks goes well and it's determined there's been improvement. I admire your commitment to your recovery and hope you enjoy a big pay off soon.
Take it one step at a time and stay in touch and as always, thanks for sharing your journey with us. :)
@Annekin
 
Thank you Layla. I think I have to keep going because I'm too young resign myself to a life of sitting in front of the TV. It is really hard, as it is for everyone on here who experiences complications with their recovery. But you have to have hope that eventually things will improve, & you have to help your body make those improvements. I'll update how things go in order to help others who may be in a similar situation to myself.
 
Thought I would update regarding my latest attempt to alleviate pain!

I've been ill with a cold for last couple of weeks so not much activity. But on Monday I decided to do some gardening. Obviously, despite no pain when I was working, by the end of the day (although I was probably only gardening for about 45 min) my lower back was incredibly painful.

Fortunately yesterday I had booked in a sports massage. I've only ever had a deep tissue massage previously, so was a bit apprehensive, as it was quite painful! However being in pain for most of the time these days I think I've developed quite a high pain tolerance! As a result I found it relatively tolerable. The only genuine pain was my hamstrings (which were really tight) and underneath my scar. I also discovered, that although I don't feel pain on the right side of my lumbar spine, the muscles were just as tight as the left lumbar spine (which does hurt). I think this means I should perhaps focus PT on my right, as well as my left hand side? I'll mention it to the hydrotherapist next week during my first appointment/assessment

The massage definitely made me feel more flexible, and although sore afterwards, there was definitely more mobility in my pelvis. I'm aware that one massage, after approximately 4 years of lower back pain, is not going to perform a miracle. But I was sufficiently impressed to return. So I think I'll book in regular massages until I get my MRI in April. I can then make a decision (based on the findings) as to whether it'll be beneficial to continue.

Next week hydrotherapy!
 
Glad the massage helped, @Annekin. I've also found massage therapy very helpful in dealing with the "left over" soft tissue pain from my various surgeries. My therapist has even taught me some techniques to do on my own.
 
It has definitely helped. I've also noticed lots of tingling at the top of my left thigh where she was trying to loosen my hamstrings. I think this may possibly be muscles waking up? I also had a lot of significant bruising around the top of my thigh after the operation, & its always been a bit numb under my scar nearby. I've booked in another massage in a week or so, so I'll mention it then.
 
The massage likely stimulated your blood circulation. Increased blood flow means more oxygen is getting to the area and healing can accelerate. Just be sure that any massage isn’t too aggressive. A little discomfort is fine, but no pain. You should not have any negative after effects either, or that would mean it was a bit too much for right now.
 
The massage likely stimulated your blood circulation. Increased blood flow means more oxygen is getting to the area and healing can accelerate. Just be sure that any massage isn’t too aggressive. A little discomfort is fine, but no pain. You should not have any negative after effects either, or that would mean it was a bit too much for right now.
Thanks Jamie. I will mention it next week when I have another massage. I think my pain tolerance is so high these days perhaps I allowed her to be a bit too "aggressive" last week when working my quads!
 
So yesterday I had my post shockwave therapy assessment, & today I had my pre hydrotherapy assessment. So many physiotherapists, so little time!

I haven't noticed a huge improvement from the shockwave therapy, but my glutes do feel slightly less bruised/sore. The physio didn't recommend any more shockwave therapy, but suggested some variations to the current exercises I was doing. I see him again in a month.

Today I wasn't in the pool, but having an assessment to see whether hydrotherapy would be helpful. It was quite a detailed assessment, which I was pleased with (because there's a lot going in with my left hip/lower back)! She immediately noticed the hip drop, pull to the left when I bend, and could tell my lower back muscle were all quite tight. My oblique muscles also seem to be overworking in order to help me balance, and my Sacrum doesn't seem to rotate properly when I move (because my pelvis is stiff).

None of this is a surprise, & even though I know things aren't as bad as they were, it can be quite disheartening after 18 months to still be getting the same diagnosis (despite having physiotherapy). On the plus side, there was evidence of improved strength in both legs which she said confirmed I had been doing my physio (so it hadn't all gone to waste!) It's just my core/balance are still weak which obviously affects other movements.

She's going to put together a hydrotherapy exercise plan, & we'll review the progress in a couple of weeks. She also thinks I might benefit from pressure point therapy which we'll also review in a few weeks.

Both physios agree it would be helpful if something comes out of the MRI which would help understand more what is happening. Particularly as it's often clear when I'm discussing my various aches and pains that I don't fit their idea of how a post op hip should be performing. However I suspect that's because of the hip dysplasia, which affected my muscles long before the hip operations.

Anyway, we'll see how things pan out in the next month or so. Fingers crossed!
 
@Annekin …. your therapist sounds wonderful. Lucky you to have someone like this on your team. I now it seems like having therapy this long should result in things being fixed by now. But, sometimes these problems have evolved over many, many years. If that’s the case a “mere” 18 months isn’t going to get the job done….yet. But, hang in there, because more time is probably the only way you will see a resolution. Don’t give up!!
 
I had my first hydrotherapy session on Tuesday. It was a lovely sunny Spring day & the physio pool is outside, albeit lovely and warm.

I thoroughly enjoyed the session. So much more than standard physio. It definitely helped that it was a lovely day! We performed similar exercises to those I do "on land" but obviously the water offered more support and resistance. It was still evident that I use my obliques on my left operated side, rather than my glutes. Unfortunately it seems this is linked to my trochanteric hip pain, which increases whenever I flex my hip. That said, it was definitely less painful doing the exercises in water & although at the end of the day my back was really sore, it had eased somewhat the next day.

Fortunately I had booked in my second sports massage the following day. I mentioned the quad pain after the last massage which they thought might be the femoral nerve. However the only symptom I have is occasional tingling/pins and needles type pain. So I don't think it's too serious and has eased. To be on the safe side, they avoided being too vigorous on my quads this time. However my hamstrings were really tight (which I know can be linked to lower back pain) so they got a bit of a pummelling! I do feel so much better today though.

This is where I have to be really careful not to overdo things because I really really want to do some gardening tomorrow!
 
Hi Annekin,
Good to hear you enjoyed the water therapy session. I'm sure the fact that it was a lovely, sunny Spring day added to the experience. I hope you were able to spend time enjoying the garden with no ill effect. It is not warm enough for that in my neck of the woods yet...but will be soon, hopefully. :fingersx:
Thanks for stopping by with an update. I hope you have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Annekin
 
Hi Annekin,
Good to hear you enjoyed the water therapy session. I'm sure the fact that it was a lovely, sunny Spring day added to the experience. I hope you were able to spend time enjoying the garden with no ill effect. It is not warm enough for that in my neck of the woods yet...but will be soon, hopefully. :fingersx:
Thanks for stopping by with an update. I hope you have a great week! :SUNsmile:
@Annekin
It has been lovely here in South Yorkshire this week. It definitely lifts the mood! Although not too warm as I sunburn way too easily!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to have another session this week because I wasn't free on the dates the pool was available. But future sessions have been planned, & I'm still having fortnightly sports massages, which are also helpful. I also do daily physio, & even though gardening etc can be painful, it seems that when I bend at the waist I get a pull on my left operated side/iliac, I do find I recover more quickly now.

I am still hoping the MRI on April 19th finds something that explains the pain. Although I'm not hugely confident there will be any permanent solution offered.

That said, I also take the view that even though full recovery is slow, I'm at least keeping myself reasonably flexible with all this physio. So hopefully delaying other age related mobility problems that may develop!
 
Thank you for the update. Annekin.
Best wishes for the MRI in three weeks. Please keep us posted and enjoy the weekend!
@Annekin
 
So I haven't updated my progress for a while. Mainly because I've been continuing with the rehab previously outlined - hydrotherapy & sports massages.

However I have finally received my MRI results & have been told I won't have to wait too much longer for an appointment to discuss what was (& wasn't) found.

I won't share the full report here because it's clear as mud! Suffice to say it seems a lot of my issues may be to be linked to my lumbar spine/disc compression/bulges etc. Not super serious but probably enough to explain the pain. Weirdly they couldn't see anything wrong with my SI joint. No evidence of sacroiliatis or trochanteric pain syndrome. However the disc compression issues are quite near the SI joint, which may explain why they were confused by my physio for Sacroiliac joint pain.

Unfortunately my hybrid part metal prosthesis prevented decent imaging of my left hip replacement. However significant fluid collection around the prosthesis was observed. Obviously this may be nothing. But as I'm 18 months post op, it may be something. However I need to wait to see my surgeon. I suspect I may be referred to see a spine specialist (I don't know what they're called!) but will update once I know what's going on.

So more questions than answers really. Mainly because most treatment of disc compression issues recommends physio. But I've been doing the exercises they recommend for over a year now with no real improvement. Although obviously I'm not in complete agony, so it's probably helping on some level!

I'll let my physio know what's been found it case they want to amend my rehabilitation plan. Other than that, I wait...
 
So sorry that you have to wait for answers, @Annekin. That must be so frustrating after all this time.

I hope you can see your surgeon soon.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom