TKR Post Op, Starting Week 6: what to do about continuing with PT

Good Morning Krista,
If you've overworked your knee, which it sounds like you have, I don't see anything wrong with temporarily taking pain meds for relief, as you scale back on activity, rest and ice, your knee will likely improve, so only be a temporary set back. Many are still taking OTC meds at this point, so try that first and see if it helps before you go back to a prescription.

Your knee may feel warm for some time to come as there is increased blood flow to the area as the tissues repair. Your knee will feel warmer after activity / PT / exercises also due to increased circulation.

Be gentle on yourself, there's no need to push through pain. You're likely only increasing inflammation and swelling and that will affect your ROM.

As far as feeling nauseous...is it possibly due to you feeling anxious about your recovery? Are you staying adequately hydrated and has your nutrition been paramount as you're healing? If your nutrition isn't as it should be and you're stressed at all, it can lead to constipation and nausea, only you know if this pertains to you.

The "fever and headache" in your knee is likely your knee rebelling from the over activity, which is only stalling your recovery, so give yourself the TLC you deserve in these early days. Even at ten weeks you're very early into your healing journey in the entire scheme of things.

If you feel it may benefit you to contact your OS's office and speak with a member of his care team so they're able to offer you reassurance, or advice, please don't hesitate, but know we're here for support when you're in need.
I hope you have a better day and feel more like yourself soon! :)
@Krista1220
 
Oh my goodness, @Krista1220, you have been greatly overworking your poor knee. At only 10 weeks out from your surgery, you aren't even 1/4 of the way through this yearlong healing. You should never work through pain, that only creates more pain and swelling. Then you have to recover from that new pain and swelling before you can get back to your normal surgical healing. Your incision is healed, but you are far from healed inside with all those soft tissues.

Please step down your activities and you'll see less pain. That nighttime pain is an indication is a symptom of doing too much too soon for your level of recovery. Some of us never did these exercises of PT and recovered just fine. I'm one of them. All I did was my normal daily activities. After a few months, I added a small extra cleanup or yard work and rest the next day, doing only the necessary things. This rest day was dedicated to icing and elevating. This routine kept my pain and swelling down.
 
@Jamie @Layla @benne68
@sistersinhim

YES! I’m dehydrated, the nutrition part is not being tended to well and overdoing. Taking a break right now. I read all of your responses this morning and it really helped a lot.

obviously, dealing with anxiety and worry.
Overthinking which leads to thinking “oh my gosh, it’s an infection. What’s going on with me…”

And then “things” spin out.

I forgot the basics. So simple. Drink water. Nourish rest.

Wow.

So validating & informative getting all of your support. Thank you. I went right to my phone to see if anyone responded this morning and again you ALL really helped me out.

Sincerely,
Krista
 
Krista,
I think its natural to feel easily anxious or overwhelmed after surgery. We're tired, feeling dependent upon others and vulnerable. Try to shift your focus to all of the milestones you're hitting. You walked further, there is less pain or swelling, you slept better than the night before etc. Enjoy some quiet time, if you're not already, listening to some calming music or take a peaceful walk out in nature, alone, if you're up to it.

If you need a reminder to drink more often, set a timer, or purchase some of those flavored electrolyte packs to add to plain water to make it more palatable. If you're not up for big meals, eat frequent snacks, especially of the high protein variety like - Greek Yogurt, Peanut Butter & and Apple, Edamame, Hummus and Veggies, Cottage Cheese, Cheese Slices, Protein Shakes, Nuts or Trail Mix, Hard Boiled Eggs, Chicken Salad, Egg Salad, Turkey or Chicken Roll-Ups, Canned Tuna or Salmon, No Bake Energy Bites...to give you a few ideas.

Keep your mind occupied so it doesn't go to "the bad place" of fretting and worrying and know that joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

So next time you're feeling anxious, grab a magazine, or book, or crossword puzzle, or word jumble. Play an online game, or watch a Netflix movie or series. Calling friends or loved ones can be a great mood booster, there's nothing like the support of those we hold dear when we're feeling, lonely, isolated or bored. Invite someone over for coffee and dessert, plan a vacay for when you're feeling stronger, collect some new recipes, or come here and we'll set you straight. :wink: :wink: Two winks on that one hoping you have a sense of humor.
Enjoy the evening!
@Krista1220
 
seems tied to doing more. Pushing through pain as I go downstairs “normally” which hurts (7 out of 10) but I’m just like screw it I’m just going to do it.
I wasn't able to go downstairs normally until about 7 months after my PKR. It would simply have been impossibly painful.
I never pushed myself to the level of pain.
This just increases inflammation and swelling.
I used a gentle pilates based approach to recovery. It took the best part of a year to fully recover and I continue to exercise regularly at nearly 3 years out. I think a lot of people do too much too early and then give up on the strength work needed to maintain muscle function. I now have ROM of 150 degrees and regularly walk 10,000 steps/ day. I can happily walk 20,000 steps on holiday and recently did a 500 stepped climb to a scenic view in Germany. This is a marathon not a sprint and you need to be kind to yourself early on and keep thinking longer term.
 
How is it going today, Krista?
I hope things are looking up for you. Let us know when you have a minute. We're here for you!
@Krista1220
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well for you. Let us know how you're doing when you have time, we'd love to read about your progress.
@Krista1220
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom