THR Post Op — 6 weeks!

Hi @3dognight
So....how are you doing on the eve of your one month anniversary?
I hope better day by day.
Give us a shout out and update if you're up to it...
A great day to you!
 
Hi Layla, thank you:thankyou: so much for asking about me. I think I am doing well. No more hospital bed, walker, raised toilet seat, shower chair plus I am driving! My horse turned 24 so, I drove to give him a B-day kiss and apple. Walking outside more -- no pain but, I limp without my cane. Assume that's normal at this stage. No PT the past two weeks which is okay. Celecoxib (100mg 2x daily) but, cut back on the acetaminophen.
Life sure has a way of changing one's plans. I have been on a veterinary treadmill.:tiredwheel: Luke, my 12 YO Standard Poodle has been battling cancer for 1 1/2 years -- it was in remission but, sadly came back.:bawl:More chemo and new supportive supplements. He is such a trooper, a true inspiration. He loves his toys, looks great and we "dance" every day to 60's/70's music and Happy by Pharrell W. Luke is a much better dancer than I am but, we have fun! :loveshwr:Dugan and Daniel, my Toy Poodles (age 14 and almost 15) also have been to specialists this week. Very grateful my surgery was early January so, I could be recovered enough to help them ( DH has been great going with me to most appointments). My Boys are my constant companions (I've only been away from them when I was hospitalized for my broken hip and THR). I pray a lot for them. :prayer::prayer::prayer:
I know I overdid it this past week but, I will rest a lot this weekend with the Olympics, the Pebble Beach golf tournament and lots of ICE :ice:. All my boys will share the sofa with me!:puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze:

Layla, did you get your surgical report? I cringed when I read the OS did a "controlled dislocation". :flabber:

I am following the recovery/rehab of many of you and pray you all do well. From my experience, healing is rarely a linear uphill event, there are plateaus and sometimes we fall back -- we can only hope that the trend is uphill. Have great weekends -- I'll be thinking of you.:flwrysmile:
 
Wonderful update on your hip @3dognight. Sorry you are having concerns with dogs. As they get older they have their health issues just as we do. Spending weekend on couch with them sounds like a wonderful plan.
 
Hi @3dognight
How wonderful to read of your progress. Ditching those recovery aids one by one was such a great feeling!
Driving is huge also, regaining that independence and stepping back into life.

Try not to walk without the cane if you're still limping. Consider trying heel-toe walking if you're not already. My PT advised it as a method to lose the limp. Let your heel strike the ground first, followed by toes. It takes some concentration. It did for me anyway as we tend to establish some abnormal walking patterns as we favored our ailing hip.

So sorry to hear about your beloved dogs illness. It's difficult watching our pets suffer, or to worry about losing them. They really worm their way into our hearts. It's nice to know they are keeping you company as you heal.

Yes, I did get my surgery report and honestly found it kind of boring. I don't know what I expected.
While not too interesting I'm glad I requested it for my personal records.
Controlled Dislocation, hmmm! :heehee: All I'm saying....

Keep up the good work, you sound great. Enjoy tuning in to the Olympics and the Pro-Am at Pebble Beach!
 
@Layla, thanks for reminding me about heel toe landings. Something that should be second nature has become a chore. I want to get rid of the cane but, know I need it as long as I limp. Guess I need some patience.:sigh:
 
Layla had me chanting heel-toe to myself before surgery, it helped some then. Found myself reciting it with walker today.
 
You're welcome @3dognight
Hey, I forget myself. When I really concentrate I feel like I'm walking taller, better posture.
I get sloppy! I established some bad habits in favoring my ailing hip for over a year.
I'm sure we all do to some degree.
Be patient, it will come. I'm cheering for you :yay:
A great Sunday to you!
 
Ditto on the bad gait and stance being habit, and muscle memory ...
Can make some other things sore while correcting.
Yes, patience...still early days.
You've got this.:friends:
 
Hey @3dognight
Stopping by to say Hi! Wondering how you've been over the past week?
I'll bet your boys are keeping you company :puppysmooze:
Has the limp been improving at all? Give us an update when you're able...
Hope you have a great week!
 
My 6 week follow up with my OS and his PA was today. I walked in heel-toe (thank you @Layla!)
carrying my cane and left grateful. X-rays and incisions (OS also removed 4 screws from 3/2016 pinning surgery) look great and my hip and leg are moving well. I don’t need any additional PT since I am doing home exercises and walking. Use my cane only when I get tired. The next follow up is in 10 weeks.
Although I am more active and feel more normal I do my best to listen to my body, ice and rest when needed. When I think back to the AVN pain before surgery I am amazed at what surgeons can do.
Thank you for this wonderful forum and to all who have given me much needed encouragement and valuable advice.:flwrysmile:
 
:goodpost: threedognight
I think you are doing splendidly.
I still am glowing when I went up and realize that horrid hip pain is no longer dictating my day.
Hip replacement gave me my life back.
I'm also very grateful...to surgeon and to Bonesmart for being such a great recovery tool.
 
Thanks for sharing the positive update. It is always a great reminder where we can be in six short weeks.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom