THR Post Op — 6 weeks!

Hello...
Ice is the ticket. Works wonders!
Happy today is better for you.
Enjoy the weekend!
@3dognight
 
Week 2 of recovery: things are definitely getting better, just need to be patient.
Use walker most of the time and cane for short periods.
Icing 3-4 X daily— feels much colder now. Swelling has gone down (my leg wrinkles are back:sad:)
Elevating 5X daily
Bed exercises 10 reps 2X daily. Ankle pumps more frequently. Heel slides much easier. Isometrics for butt and thighs. PT appointment Friday per OS instructions but, will not overdo it!
Resting a lot since there is considerable fatigue. Frequent walks around our 3rd floor (only on stairs twice) and short sits for meals and to use my lap top. Think I may be up for too long at times when feeding dogs, birds, making little meals and cleaning dishes. My husband is doing his best but he has his own physical issues.
Stinging at incision almost completely gone.
Stopped Tramadol Sunday night — constipating and made me feel “icky”. Pain manageable with 1000 mg acetaminophen 3X daily, Celebrex 100 mg 2X daily and chewable baby aspirin 2X daily. May ask OS about switching from Celebrex to ibuprofen which has always been effective for me.
Mild fibromyalgia affects both my lower legs especially when sleeping.Sleeping on my side with pillow between legs helps but last night when I tried moving my operated leg over I got major buttock pain. Hopefully, tonight will be better.
Warm showers sitting on shower chair are wonderful.
Watching the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice is also wonderful.
So, all in all, even though I had hoped for more progress (like being on a cane 100% of the time)I think I am where I am supposed to be. :ok:
 
So, all in all, even though I had hoped for more progress (like being on a cane 100% of the time)I think I am where I am supposed to be.
I think you are doing just fine! What seems impossible one day is easy on another. Just keep doing what you are doing. Still early days!
 
I think you’re doing brilliantly at this stage in your recovery.
If you’ve been given straight leg lifts with your bed exercises do these with care. They caused me severe groin pain. I stopped all exercises they gave me to do and home and just focused on gradually increasing my walking concentrating on my gait
I’ve found resting, elevating and icing is definitely the way to go
 
:elevate: get plenty of rest. I sympathize with you and pain meds. And they always want a demonstration, don't they?:sick: I think I better teach my husband how to make poached eggs. I love them. So glad you can have your personal chef make them for you. Delighted, selfishly, that you reminded me! Keep up your good:sleeep: resting and :ice:. I will watch for your updates.
 
Hi @3dognight
Swelling is down, leg wrinkles are back.
I always have a "laugh out loud...of the day" on BoneSmart. That was today's :heehee:

You sound wonderful! Especially at only 8 days post op.
Keep up the good work, we're rooting for you :yay:
 
Great progress report @3dognight. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Getting off walker will come.
 
Glad to see you doing so well! It will keep getting better and better :)

How did you choose your user name? For some reason I find myself singing "Never Been to Spain" every time I see one of your posts.
 
:yahoo:Hello fellow Bonesmarties, my recovery is starting Week 3!
Resting, elevating, icing and still taking Tylenol, Celebrex and baby aspirin (pain moves around but is under control)
Using cane more frequently but, use walker when tired and in the middle of the night to use bathroom
Husband drove me to PT last Friday—therapist is excellent, gave me 2 easy exercises and showed me how to better walk with cane (minor change stopped knee pain)He stressed importance of not tilting while walking and to not overdo it. He likes walking as primary therapy and doesn’t think we should meet more than once weekly.
Cooking more meals (love casseroles) and cleaning kitchen (love my dishwasher) so up on feet more.
Sitting too long bothers incision which makes sense
Thigh pain a little better, buttock pain increases with overuse
If I overdo one day I rest more the next. Trying my best to let Mother Nature do her thing.
Seeing OS/PA tomorrow.
Overall I am doing well, just a little cabin fever.
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I so appreciate your encouragement, kindness and advice.:flwrysmile:

YoungHippy, I chose my user name because we sleep with 3 dogs, the Poodle Boys (a Standard and two Toys). They are my constant companions.

AgilityDog, the secret to poached eggs is a Krupps egg cooker.
 
Nice update @3dognight. You seem to be managing very well. Glad you have a reasonable therapist. Cabin fever does come early. Try to keep an eye on over doing!
 
Thanks for the update @3dognight
You sound great! Beginning to be on your feet more,
cooking meals and cleaning up the kitchen all feel so gratifying
at this point. New beginnings.
Cabin fever does start setting in, I remember it well.
Hopefully your outing to the OS tomorrow will ease the feeling of boredom for a time.
Best wishes for a great week and doctor visit tomorrow!
 
Great post! Love love that your PT is helping you with your stance and gait.
I'm glad you have figured out that you need to draw back some when you feel your legs are complaining...you've got this!
Bet your OS will think 1st so too.
It's a wonder you can sleep at all..my little Mojo, my shihtzu, hogs up the whole bed.
 
Do try to register for the Joint Replacement Awareness Day that Bonesmart is hosting.
Folks can benefit from your experiences in recovery.
 
Thanks for the reminder, I will sign up for Joint Replacement Awareness Day. The experiences of others has certainly helped me.

Saw my OS on Tuesday. Dressings removed (Dermabond is amazing) from hardware removal and implant incisions (both look good).OS pleased with my progress—told me to take it slow, don’t overdo, walk but not too much, and take pain meds as needed. No more baby aspirin, Tylenol reduced to 1000 mg 2X daily and Celebrex remains at 100 mg 2X. My PT had called him and they agree, no more than once weekly PT. I got a copy of my surgical report—all went smoothly including removing the screws from my hip pinning surgery. Really like my OS—he is young, smart, calm, answers all my questions. I see him in 4 weeks for X-rays. I am using my cane over 95% of the time and feel pretty good. Ice and rest are still good friends.:) :-) (:My recovery is headed in the right direction.:fingersx:

Now, if only I could do something about these wrinkles, rather crevasses, on my face. When I look in the mirror I no longer see my mother but my grandmother!:bawl:
 
Yay. Onward and upward girl. Hey, we have been through alot....so we look a little "tired"
Oh my stars, we are tired...it's going to continue to get better.
Great for good report, that's always reassuring!
 
Oh, I like your PT. Hope you are getting along well.:) :-) (:
 
Doing well @3dognight. I too see my mom and grandmother when I look in the mirror. I think the wrinkles looked better on them! But, isn’t it nice being around king enough to get them?

Keep up those baby steps-just like with kids, have to master baby steps before we take off running :walking:
 
Happy Saturday to you,
Great PT! I'll bet there won't be pressure, making it all the more pleasant.
Sounds like you're doing great! I'm getting my surgery report next week.
I have mixed emotions because I have no idea how they read and I may need to do this
again one day. Maybe you can give me an idea, if there was any cringing upon reading yours....
Wishing you the best as you continue healing and a great weekend to you!
@3dognight
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom