Guest viewing is limited

MUA Post MUA ROM Failure

IMHO, you need to stop using Doctor Google, and take the advice to rest, ice and elevate, but for longer than a few days, before seeing how your knee does with it. I'm not saying you do or don't have arthrofibrosis, as I'm not a doctor so can't/won't diagnose. But, if you did have it, my guess is your surgeon would have already diagnosed it, so it's unlikely.
 
Nag, I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time. It will get better with time, I had both knees done with TKR ’s In 2020, 4 mos apart and I still have to ice them everyday after 9 hours of work. It is definitely a marathon and not a sprint.
i admire how motivated you are and how hard you have been working, it doesn’t seem fair when we get punished for trying to do the right thing by working our knees hard. I did the same thing , until I found this site and learned to just take my time
and let my knees heal up. The moderators saved me on here. My new knees make me feel empowered now to do anything I want to. Hang in there!
 
Nag,
If you had arthrofibrosis your surgeon would not have been able to bend your knee to 125 degrees.
I agree with your surgeons suggestion to rest, ice, elevate, and let your knee heal.
 
It’s been weeks since I last posted so an update is warranted. I had a MUA 6 weeks after my TKR. Just a week after the MUA my flex was only 85*. I was totally depressed and defeated. The MUA seemed to be a total bust. It is now 6 weeks after the MUA and my mood is optimistic and full of promise. How did I get from there to here? First I took two weeks off from any PT after the MUA. I then decided to add aquatic therapy to my weekly routine and I switched my PT to another provider. After 10 sessions my flex is at 105. It has been a slow go but it’s improving. The heated pool therapy really loosens me up and the new PT is very innovative with active and passive exercises and massage. I also bought a stationary bike and use it several times a day. I would like to thank the responders to this post for their advice and encouragement - go slow, if it hurts don’t do it, be patient, and don’t lose hope.
 
Great update @Nag, you've mastered the BoneSmart approach to go slow and listen to your body, that's great improvement so early after your MUA.
 
Wow. I felt positive when I found this thread. I can relate with MUA but I didn't undergo thru TKR. It was different knee surgery. But then my MUA is week ago now. Right after the procedure I went to PT and my PT wanna do it 1 week straight she said while the procedure still fresh but then it's been a week it's just getting worst the pain and ROM is decreasing too. I wanna give a try what people is suggesting here. I'm not sure if I'm in the right post it's already July 2021 now. But really thanks for this.
 
It's been 8 months since my TKR and I've developed a "Clunk" in my new knee. Its called Patella Clunk Syndrome. Its supposed to be a thing of the past as the new prosthetics were designed to eliminate this. Oh well, I've had every low probability outcome so why not this one. PCS is the development of scar tissue under the patella that gets stuck in the femoral grove during flexion and pops out on extension. The clunk happens on each step and can be painful when I move fast or kick out my leg. Arthroscopy is the recommended solution. Prior to the clunk I had been doing well, flex and extension was great and I was doing almost everything I could do prior to the tkr. BTW I did have my knee drained of fluid at the six month visit with my doctor (another unlikely outcome). Nothing came back in the culture; the surgeon suspects the scar tissue caused the excess in fluid. Arthroscopy is scheduled for 7/20.
 
I'm sorry you have more problems with your knee, @Nag . Which knee is it, by the way?

From this article, I see why you are having the arthroscopy:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10546619/

It says:
" Patellar clunk syndrome occurs when a fibrous nodule develops just proximal to the patellar button. At approximately 30 degrees to 45 degrees from full extension, the nodule catches the anterior flange of the femoral prosthesis, resulting in the clunk and a painful range of motion. ​
​
The present study examines the use of arthroscopic debridement for this disorder. ​
​
All patients complained of anterior knee pain and the clunk. All patients had a hypertrophic nodule at the junction of the proximal pole of the patella and quadriceps tendon and underwent arthroscopic debridement through a superolateral portal. All patients were free of patellar clunk postoperatively."​

I hope your surgery goes well.
 
Back
Top Bottom