TKR Popping in to see if anyone else has fibromyalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried all drugs. None worked. I am pan pituitary meaning no pituitary function at all. When I started growth hormone, my symptoms of bad hand and butt pain lowered, but the other areas and the fatigue did not. Funny, the exercise of bridges to help muscle strength after the tkr is making the butt pain worse. LOL
 
Yes, this is the same problem I am dealing with. I am going to therapy to build the muscle in my left trk, but the Fibromyalgia hurts and make it so difficult to exercise. Also, having to contend with my right knee which is just at it's witts end, makes it hard to rehab my ltkr. I empathize with all you ladies because we all have similar, but different situations to try and deal with. I know that some days it is better than others, and sometimes our bad days are way too many. I keep thinking about a post I see on FB sometimes that says, "God won't give us more than what we can handle." Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-butt!
 
It is amazing to me how many pts do not believe in Fibro. Even the government finally does.... Bridges are not my friend. z
 
I think that though the knee is feeling pretty good right now, with the fibro, the soft tissues around it are taking the surgery a bit hard. I think we're really working in the dark here. Fibro is a real thing, but not quite understood even by rheumatologists.
I'm trying to focus more on stretching and mild exercise, rather than strength training and remembering that healing takes time. I think I may have been pushed a bit too hard too early last time and have lingering soft tissue/tendonitis issues in my right quad.
 
@kneeper I have found a percussive massager is my best friend. I can barely touch it to my skin in some areas at first but it works great on the area above my kne. I knee it worked for years on my rear end when my fibro went wild and now am finding it works on my leg. I started about 12 inches abouve the knee in every area that was sore when pressed and now am down to the muscle to the outer area 4 inches above knee. A great improvement for me. Deep massage by others kills me.
 
I've had a couple of massages that made me feel like I was run over by a truck. It's not always easy to find one that understands fibro.
 
Hi I have RA since childhood and OA and fibromyalgia and degenerative joint disease. My rheumatologist gave me neurontin for the tingling and burning feeling which seems to help.
 
Two days away from my RTKR and it just can't get here fast enough for me. I dread every time I have to stand up because it hurts my knees so much. I am NOT looking forward to going through this again, but know there is no other way.
 
That time already? Be sure to let us know how you progress.
 
@hgarcia It is a complex thing, the knowing we need it and knowing how difficult it can be. Two days then a new start for you. I am at 7 days for the second knee. I kind of know what you are feeling. We can compare notes with each other and the sage group. Here is to a quick rehab. Let us know how you are doing.
 
@hgarcia and @jerseygirl-in-ca Best wishes to you both as you make your way to recovery of both knees. Hope you two have smooth recoveries.
I have developed fibromyalgia in the past 3 years after 30+ years of CFIDS. Supposedly they are in the same spectrum of neurological disorders. Neurotin at night helps but I have a lot of burning and tingling in all large muscles during the day. My knee tissues around my PKR seem to burn too and are aggravated by PT.
The disbelief surrounding these illnesses is awful. At least my OS's mother has fibro so he believes in it. Didn't help with his understanding of the need for pain meds after surgery tho.
Do the two of you and @kneeper experience lots of burning in your quads, too?
 
I don't get burning, but I did have massive aching after the tkr. Luckily it resolved to back to "normal." my muscles are prone to feeling tight and sore. For me the fatigue is worst.
I've had RA for many years and so it was a new rheumatologist about 15 years ago who diagnosed that I had fibro too. I hate that some GPs don't get it. Just because there's not a lab test doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Hopefully someday soon scientists will be able to explain it.
 
@hgarcia Was just reading your thread on fibro. I have had several docs diagnose me with it. Cymbalta helped me a lot but it's terribly expensive and I don't care for drugs either. Lyrics helped as well, but the weight gain wasn't worth it for me and again, it's pricey. So, I have been taking gabapentin at night with some success.

Wishing you a perfect surgery and rapid recovery. Please let us know how you progress.

Mary
 
@kneeper I needed my labs I just had taken at the hospital for a gp to give me a clearance for my surgeon for surgery. They made a mistake and sent him my labs from the recovery room after my surgery in July. I was so tired after the surgery and aching all over. The labs showed me I lost quite a bit of blood, Add that to fibro, BANG, Pain! I will be asking for my lab report from recovery from the hospital this surgery.
 
@cjf1222 I think that once you have Fibro, all other conditions become worse. My Endo is the head of Endo teaching other drs to be endos at UCLA. Charles Drew U and does many studies on Chronic Fatigue. I do not think I have that but am pan-pituitary. We discussed how my severe fibro was made so much better once on growth hormone but how I have aches that are way different than the standard fibro areas. I think for me any recovery is delayed but used to it. You have a lot on your plate healthwise so just allow your body to heal. I am lucky in the fact that they believed my fibro early. It took years for them to believe I was pan pituitary. "hidden" conditions of any kind are often ignored.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom