MUA Poor Flexion - Does age matter?<

@KDIMATT , good luck, i hope if goes well for you. I think there is sonething in massage.....sadly i have to do my own...but am spending about 20mins before sleep doing self massage on it band, behind knee and calves....only last 3-4 days but think it is helping for the next day...will continue and see.
 
Good luck with the MUA. You have had such a battle to date. My PT does limited soft tissue massage and mobilization. It always feels better/ looser afterwards. I will be sending prayers and happy thoughts your way.
 
@KDIMATT :wave:Thinking of you today and sending positive vibes and best wishes. I hope you wake up and immediately feel an improvement. I work with a nurse (same age 63) who also had a MUA at 10 weeks for exactly the same scenario and she was glad she had it done. She did get back to work doing 6 hr shifts at 12 weeks and then 12 hr shifts by 16 weeks. She’s 18 months now and she’s very active and happy with her knee. Let us know how you’re doing when you’re up to it!!:loveshwr:
 
@Kiwigirl62 I think so too. I've been doing it a little on myself as well, same places. I don't know why the calves and hamstrings feel so tight but definitely helps to massage them.

@Larryhg3 My PT (when I did go to them) would only do it for about five minutes and then get to the aggressive work which just defeated the purpose of the massage lol. If I can't find a massage therapist that my insurance covers I will just pay to have it done at least once a week for now. It will be a nice treat to have it done after all we have been through.

@andpeaches Thanks for the positive vibes!!! And for the story about your coworker. It's great to hear a positive reaction to the MUA. There is not that many instances that I've found where people had them done. I can only hope that I feel as good as her in a few months.
 
Yay!!!! Back home and you guessed it....got my leg elevated and icing lol.

Feeling pretty good now that I'm home and have taken a dose of my oxycodone :)

When I first woke up I was feeling a little pain...not in my knee but right above the back of my knee.....after I massaged the hell out of it it seemed to loosen up and a few minutes after that I was good to go.

Had a little difficulty standing and walking, I'm figuring because the dr gave me an extra shot of lidocaine in my knee during the procedure. Should be better when that wears off but I am thankful for it at the moment!!

The dr said he got me to about 115-120 ROM during the procedure and can't wait to test it out....but for now I will be icing and elevating...plenty of time tomorrow to start walking around....tonight it will be relaxing and watching movies. :happydance:

I feel like I have been given a second chance at getting better and know the mistakes I made the first time and will be sure not to repeat them (aggressive PT, rushing my recovery, doing too much). This time I will take it much slower....treat myself better, massages, more icing and elevating, :ice:take pain meds on time and not rushing to get back to work.

Follow up with dr in two weeks;

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and for sharing your stories....this is definitely a journey far different than any other I know and its been great to see other people having the same experiences...
 
Yeay!!! It’s over and you are on your way!!! Just relax, ice, elevate, nap!!! :sleep:and know that this will all be a distant memory! Hopefully you can focus on that and do NOT allow any unnecessary negative thoughts into your head! Only thoughts about how great you are :tada:
 
So happy for you @KDIMATT ! Pls be kind to yourself for a bit now

Was it what you expected? Interested to follow this next chapter in your recovery now!
 
I hope the MUA does the trick.
Don't be surprised if your flexion decreases a bit from what the surgeon got during the procedure. Your knee is newly wounded again and it's going to get some swelling. Rest, ice, elevate, and just keep moving that knee gently.
 
When I first woke up I was feeling a little pain...not in my knee but right above the back of my knee.
That would have been where the adhesions were.
because the Dr gave me an extra shot of lidocaine in my knee during the procedure.
Quite possibly. But what a kind doctor!
The Dr said he got me to about 115-120 ROM during the procedure
Excellent! But don't be surprised or disappointed if you can get it to that immediately. The rebound swelling from the MUA will block it for a while - but not forever.
 
Hey @KDIMATT
Been thinking about you and wondering how you are since the MUA?
Hoping for some good results.
 
Three weeks since MUA and 13 weeks since TKR and FINALLY did a full rotation on the upright bike!!! Woohoo!!!!:yay::dancy::upright:lol these emojis are quite awesome!!

I have to say I haven't posted since the MUA because in the beginning I wasn't feeling much of an improvement from before the manipulation. Had gotten quite discouraged actually....Swelling was back and stiffness....and didn't see much of an improvement in ROM. I haven't done any PT after the MUA....ive been giving myself some pretty deep massages though...seems my calf is extra tight and also a weird pain on outer side of my kneecap (but that's been there the whole time). Massages seem to help way more than the pt ever did....thinking of maybe trying some Accupuncture?

Anyway, follow up with OS tomorrow.....was finally feeling like I might have gotten to 90 and then next day it feels like its gone. But the boyfriend bought me a "Peloton" bike for Christmas and it got delivered yesterday so figured I would give it a try today.....at least it would be great motivation to improve.....well I jumped on it (ok more like hobbled onto it lol) and spun my leg around and it actually made the FULL ROTATION.....wasn't pretty and wasn't quick, but it happened!!! So I stayed on for five minutes and have to say my knee feels pretty damn sweet right now......

So for now I am feeling very positive that I am finally on a path to achieving better ROM...SLOWLY BUT SURELY... don't know if the MUA helped or not, but I dont feel it was detrimental....looking forward to my visit with dr tomorrow and for continued improvements!!!
 
@KDIMATT that is incredible!!! I am so happy for you!!!
:bicycle1:

Was wondering how you were as hadn’t heard anything since. What a Christmas gift! Pls post after seeing the OS!
 
@KDIMATT woooohooo so glad you posted. Another of my recovery buddies that I think about every day. So glad that you are seeing progress. Keep us posted please
 
It's great you've managed to make a full rotation :thumb: Using a bike to gain ROM is pretty simple:
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different
 
FINALLY did a full rotation on the upright bike!!! Woohoo!!!:upright:
* * *
But the boyfriend bought me a "Peloton" bike for Christmas and it got delivered yesterday so figured I would give it a try today.....at least it would be great motivation to improve.....well I jumped on it (ok more like hobbled onto it lol) and spun my leg around and it actually made the FULL ROTATION.....wasn't pretty and wasn't quick, but it happened!!! So I stayed on for five minutes and have to say my knee feels pretty damn sweet right now......

So for now I am feeling very positive that I am finally on a path to achieving better ROM...SLOWLY BUT SURELY... don't know if the MUA helped or not, but I dont feel it was detrimental....looking forward to my visit with dr tomorrow and for continued improvements!!!
Great news. Onward and upward!
 
@KDIMATT Way to go!!! I’ve been thinking about you!! I’m so happy to hear your knee went round the bike!! I do hope now that you can ride a stationary bike (a sweet stationary bike at that) you can see the normal days ahead when you don’t give a hoot about your flexion/extension anymore. My husband has been pushing for a Peloton bike for a few years and guess what your post did?? We just ordered one! :scaredycat::yay:. So here we go! :upright:Happy New Year!!!
 
@andpeaches Haha!! So glad that you are finally getting a Peloton!!! You are going to love it!! Let me know what your screen name is so we can follow each other....I've been doing the 10 min classes for two weeks and just started the 15 min ones......slow, slow, slow but its all good....at least its a lot of fun!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom