MUA Poor Flexion - Does age matter?<

So back to work for the past two weeks....I work 16 hour shifts, two days on then four off, mostly sitting but I make sure to get up and stretch it out a little bit. Also stairs!!!! Ive been doing pretty good with going up the stairs but I am still not doing that great going down. I figure that will come in time though.

Another concern I've had is this strange pain? on the side of the knee...not like a tearing pain or stiff pain...its more like a rubber band got stuck or snagged on something....and then I just try to turn a different way until it gets "unstuck".....its just kind gotten worse over the past week to where its affecting my walk and ROM. I'm hoping this doesn't sound too weird and that maybe someone on here knows what I'm talking about lol. The best I can see from my online searching is maybe its the IT band? I had the boyfriend put his hand on it when I had that feeling and he said he felt like a rubbery thing......calling the office tomorrow to see if I can get the nurse and explain it to her to see if I need to come in..... it figures because I was finally getting to the point of sleeping somewhat comfortably on my side, but now im stuck laying on my back again.
 
I have had that same sensation. It comes and goes.
 
Last edited:
I have that on the medial side. It's like something gets caught. I'll move my knee a different way and it goes away.
 
on the side of the knee...not like a tearing pain or stiff pain...its more like a rubber band got stuck or snagged on something....and then I just try to turn a different way until it gets "unstuck".....its just kind gotten worse over the past week to where its affecting my walk and ROM. I'm hoping this doesn't sound too weird and that maybe someone on here knows what I'm talking about lol. The best I can see from my online searching is maybe its the IT band?
Yes, sounds like the I-T band. My I-T band got better then worse then better then worse before settling into a gradual improvement trend. AFAICT, it's pretty common for the I-T band to take awhile stretch and adjust to the geometry of a new knee. It took me around 6 months. (I'm 6-1/2 months out, and only recently have not been experiencing a tight I-T band each morning and after exercise).

Walking down stairs also comes later in the recovery for many. Your quads got stretched and damaged during surgery, and it takes awhile for them to recover. Did your OS use a tourniquet?

Sounds like you are doing great and right on track.
 
@DIYSteve Thanks soooo much!!! I'm about four months out so I guess I have a little ways to go :). I was just nervous that maybe I did something wrong and damaged it. But it probably is just adjusting to the new knee. Thats exactly what it feels like, that it's getting stuck on something and then gradually works its way around it. At least now I know this too will eventually get better!!!
 
Another concern I've had is this strange pain? on the side of the knee...not like a tearing pain or stiff pain...its more like a rubber band got stuck or snagged on something....and then I just try to turn a different way until it gets "unstuck".....its just kind gotten worse over the past week to where its affecting my walk and ROM. I'm hoping this doesn't sound too weird and that maybe someone on here knows what I'm talking about lol. The best I can see from my online searching is maybe its the IT band? I had the boyfriend put his hand on it when I had that feeling and he said he felt like a rubbery thing......calling the office tomorrow to see if I can get the nurse and explain it to her to see if I need to come in..... it figures because I was finally getting to the point of sleeping somewhat comfortably on my side, but now im stuck laying on my back again.
Let's ask @Josephine if she can advise you.
 
Best thing I can do is have you answer some questions. Are you willing for me to post them?
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Poor Flexion - Does age matter?<


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
I just wanted to pop in and say "hi" and to say I went through all the flexion challenges during my original TKR. This time around has been better. I'm glad to hear you are sleeping. Each night I try to turn on my side but some ligament starts hollering at me. Yet I sleep well most nights.
 
@traceys I was just catching up on your posts to see how you're doing!!! I just saw that you've been wrapping your knee....since this new weird ligament catching on something feeling ive been wrapping it too with an ace bandage and seems to be helping somewhat...at least it gets me trough the day at work a little easier....this whole process has been so crazy,,,,just seems like you finally feel better in one spot and then something else acts up. lol
It def seems like it will be a year long process as my doctor originally said :bored:
 
@KDIMATT you've posted twice since I left you my questions. Have you changed your mind about answering them, then?
 
@Josephine I have previously answered these questions months ago when I first had surgery. My only concern now seems to be the occasional stabbing pain which is on the side of the knee but a little further down. I was thinking it might be related to the IT band? Thats really what I wanted to know and if there is anything I can do to help with the healing. I also have occasional pain behind knee and a tight calf.

1. pain levels right now? 1-2, except when I have the stabbing pain (which has only just recently been occurring and is only occasional) and then its a 9.
2. pain medications? None
3. how swollen is your leg - Slight
4. ROM - that's flexion (bend) Unsure - a little past 90 (maybe 100). and extension (straightness) = 0

5. icing your knee at all? Rarely, as the only pain is the stabbing pain

6. are you elevating your leg. Rarely

7. what is your activity level? I do housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping etc. At work I basically sit in a car for 16 hours two days in a row.

8. are you doing any exercises at home? Spinning on bike, twice a week, 20 min each session.a

no PT
 
Okay, sorry - I'll pass on the questions then. Can you show me where this pain is using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Poor Flexion - Does age matter?<
 
@Josephine
Im assuming the LB is the outer part of knee as opposed to inner.
In which case the sharp pain that feels as if there is a rubber band getting stuck on something would be ROW D: LB 4-LB3 as well as ROW E: LB4-LB3

The occasional cramping/soreness would be ROW E-F: LB4-LB3
 
Im assuming the LB is the outer part of knee as opposed to inner.
There's no need for you to assume anything! Just pick out the squares where your pain is and give me the references for each one - as per the example in the smaller image.
 
@Josephine

the sharp pain that feels as if there is a rubber band getting stuck on something would be DLB 4-LB3 as well as ELB4-LB3

The occasional cramping/soreness would be E and F LB4-LB3
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom