TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Left)

Good for you, Jean, and enjoy your travels. I hope you'll get to have some beautiful fall weather while traveling in PA ( I thought I read you were going to Hershey), the foliage should be colorful by mid October.

I do love my high toilet! The former owner of my home was an invalid, so there are high toilets and walk in showers. I am spoiled!
 
Yes, it's the annual trek to Hershey. We are looking forward to seeing some fall foliage.
 
Jean, when we remodeled two bathrooms, I ended up buying our toilets from Home Depot online. I was amazed at the large number of styles online compared to what is in the store. Prices were pretty good too. It was sure easier to do the searching at the computer rather than walking around stores. You might give it a try and see. They were shipped free to the store for us and they held them until we were ready to pick them up. Home Depot loaded them and the contractor unloaded them at our home. So the whole deal was painless for us.
 
Ditto, I put the higher toilet in our bedroom bath from Home Depot . I love it. I only had to add some assist arms for my previous recovery. Left them on for my revision. I feel for ya on the other knee. I am in same boat, but my last injection is holding out good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'll definitely check that out. Unfortunately, he'll not a fan of online purchasing (I will buy almost everything that way). If he can't see it and touch it, it may as well not exist.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Have a great trip, Jean, and enjoy the beautiful fall colors. Our master bath has a high toilet and walk-in shower which we love -- and my knee loved too post-surgery. But the rest of the bathrooms are standard bathrooms.

Roxie
 
have a great trip, Jean. It sounds as if it won't be much of a rest for you, with all the driving you have to do. However, a change of scene will be good.
 
Thanks, Celle. I enjoy the driving part. It's the stopping 9000 times for antique malls and the inevitable yell, "NO! You were supposed to turn back there!" Or the man watching the GPS in his lap telling me emphatically to do something the real world before me tells me would be unsafe.

We get through it all, and sometimes I tell him to go have fun, and I wait in the truck. That works particularly well, but it took until two years ago when I got sick during the first part of the trip to figure out that was a good approach. We're always refining the trip.

This year, I realized I don't want him to cancel the trip. That would mean his health is too bad for him to make the trip, and I dread when that day comes.
 
Have a wonderful trip and good news that you can get off low toilets. When I was at the ball park on Friday I had to go pee and walked into a regular stall. There were no wheelchair stalls available. I sat down then realized the seat was really low. I panicked. I had no idea how I was going to get up. I had visions of me still being there at the end of the game with my frantic husband looking everywhere for me. There was a paper dispenser on the wall to my right but it didn't seem to be attached to the wall very securely. To my left I noticed that there was sufficient space between the door and the frame to fit my fingers in and pull myself up. It must have looked strange from the outside as a hand came round the door frame, but it worked and I got up. Makes me appreciate my tall toilet at home!
 
Week 23 (tomorrow)

I was at the VA today for day surgery on my left eyelid (keeping the theme of the 2015 left side makeover consistent). Pre-procedure, I was asked what my pain levels were. I surprised myself by saying none. Only because I got that steroid shot in my right knee last week, and almost immediately after I said that, my right knee knocked on my pain receptors and said, "Ahem. I am still here." But for one brief moment, I realized I really didn't have pain to speak of.

I had to park midway back at the VA parking lot (if you don't get there by 7 am, you're hiking long distance, and at the VA, nearly everyone has a handicap placard, so unless you absolutely have to use it, leave it for someone who does - moot point, because they were all filled), and I didn't have any problems walking to the hospital and then to the day surgery desk when I got inside. I wasn't zooming along, but I walked comfortably and steadily.

Recovery is going well. Very pleased. Those of you still battling with a need for patience, I may be able to release my Amazon backorder to free some up for you.
 
Week 24 -- Six months

I barely notice my TKR knee. I don't think about it constantly. These last two weeks have brought improvement by leaps and bounds. My non-TKR knee is behaving after getting the steroid shot two weeks ago, but it is my limiting factor.

We walked a huge antique mall today. Well, for the last two years it seemed huge, but this year, we walked it in a little over an hour, and it didn't seem huge at all. I was pleasantly surprised.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Good to hear, Jean. For some reason both my knees are really sore today, even the new one. I still rode my bike, but only 3 1/2 miles and not very fast. Hoping to get a steroid shot next week in my left knee. Enjoy your travels!
 
Steroid shots always helped me until my right stopped responding to them, left still does. Had my revision two days ago and I am doing great. The patella seems to be fixed. Only had to have scar tissue removed, lateral release and a spacer up size. Rather dramatic going from 11 to 18, but the OS says it is where it should have been.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, for the last two years it seemed huge, but this year, we walked it in a little over an hour, and it didn't seem huge at all.
I hadn't been able to shop for years without being miserable. Even walking the length of our driveway seemed impossible. And walking from the front desk to the back of the building my OS is in seemed like a trek before. Now, it was nothing. It is a wonderful change. I am glad for that much at least.

Enjoy the fall colors. It is very late here, but we finally went for a color drive yesterday. Gorgeous.

Gilina
 
Week 25 1/2. We're home from the trip. We were both sick with the crud, my husband longer than I. He's just now sort of getting over it. He's still exhausted. He feels every one of his 78 years plus about 30 more, I think. He's scheduled for a procedure on Monday which we hope will reverse that feeling.

It's good my knee and I have recovered so well, because I had to do the driving, the loading, the unloading, and anything that required more than a few steps this whole trip. That's how bad my husband has felt these two weeks. I'm tired, but I was able to do it.

We head to San Antonio on Monday for the procedure, then, we'll be back in Central Texas in time to put me on the train to Wisconsin to visit my folks for a week. We didn't see much fall color on the trip, but I hope to see some on the way to Wisconsin.
 
fall color on the trip, but I hope to see some on the way to Wisconsin.
Fall color came late up north in Wisconsin (we are just now past peak, a good 3 weeks late) so if that holds, you should see some color as you travel north. I love to travel by train. I hope you can relax and enjoy your trip.

Gilina
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom