PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

Good evening BoneSmarties!

Tomorrow will be 10 weeks post op and I have to say my knee is doing well :yahoo:. At the end of this week my knee gets a test. I’ll be competing in the USBC Open Tournament (bowling) for team, doubles, and singles events over two days. I haven’t picked up a bowling ball since two weeks prior to my surgery, so I’ll be relying mainly on muscle memory. Lack of practice shouldn’t make a difference though given the tough conditions :heehee:. I don’t expect my left knee to give me much trouble since I’m left handed. My right leg is my slide/post leg and it doesn’t give me any problems at all.

This past week I noticed that the sharp pinching pain I would get going down steps is gone :yay:. My leg muscles are still a bit weak, but I will start working on that in another week or so.

Still having trouble sleeping most nights, but especially after days where I had been extremely busy. I know that’s my knee reminding me who’s the real boss!

Next visit with my OS is mid July. Can’t wait to hear his thoughts.
 
Giving my new knee a real test today. Visiting my old childhood state and taking a 1 1/2 mike hike (1 way) up through a gorge that has over 800 steps climbing over 500 ft. Will let you all know how it did.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MCC
Hope the hike treats your new knee well! If anything will make your knee complain, my money is on the steps. Maybe worth it for a beautiful gorge!
 
What state are you visiting? All that walking sounds like fun!
 
Watkins Glen, NY. Will post some pics later today when done. So far okay, slow going but that helps with enjoying the scenery.
 
Well, didn’t do too bad (I think). Thankfully the little ones (3-7) wanted to turn around at the half-way point. I would have gone the entire way, but secretly glad we didn’t. I’m sure I’ll be taking a prescription pain pill tonight. Soft tissues are what aches.

Definitely worth it though. Haven’t been to this place since my wife and I dated (almost 40 years ago). Attached are a few pics. Enjoy.
 
Enjoy
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    004E3E03-D980-48B0-A2F4-FBE7C91478A1.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 258
  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    D87C52DC-DFDB-4A34-A678-4B5DD48AE27B.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 256
  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    516C7938-CA3B-4489-83B7-19B41CE84354.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 247
Beautifully scenery! Would love to visit ! Thank you for sharing!
 
Oh wow! What a beautiful sight! I love to hike, so I can imagine how glad you are to be able to do it again! Baby that knee tonight!
 
I will definitely be treating it to an ice pack and tender loving care tonight. That and some meds will get me through the night :loll:.

The gorge was beautiful, just as we remembered during our dates in our teens!
 
Here are a few more. Some things are just worth a little discomfort. I think this was a good test for my knee. No bone on bone pain, but there is a little swelling. Getting ready to treat it to a nice cold ice pack and me to an ice cold beer! :happydance:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    6510DAB2-3938-4DA5-B19D-0A0401E94089.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 215
  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    0423521E-78CC-4175-BC90-F7B43F727431.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 197
  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    BA04F016-1560-40BD-A0E8-3F614174C5BB.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 206
  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    78F42F50-6FF1-43A0-AD40-44622A4227B7.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 204
  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    03592420-C431-4FC0-A481-1F31E63B9DD9.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 193
  • [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
    299F4A56-1CAA-4AB1-B754-94486C51B2E4.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 201
@NavyGunns did you have a lot of swelling or did the knee just become uncomfortable? I'm getting married on 8-18-18 wondering what I can expect from my new knee....:unsure:
By the way I loved the pics, absolutely beautiful!
 
You have a gift for photography! That’s a beautiful part of the country; my son went to college right near there and I’ve hiked that trail. Glad your knee held up! Next year you should be good to hike the whole trail. :)
 
@Doupie,

Now that it’s the next morning I’m glad to report that my new knee did extremely well!:yes!: The main discomfort was with the muscles and soft tissues in the back of my knee. No real swelling that was visible. Iced and elevated a bit in the afternoon, went to bed a bit early (although rest of family was sitting outside around the bonfire). Slept great, got up once for meds after they wore off. No stiffness or soreness this morning. :yahoo:. Since I don’t expect you to be climbing a gorge for your wedding, I would think you’ll be okay.

@SusieShoes, I really wanted to make it to the top and would have pushed myself to do so, but glad I didn’t (the return hike down would have done me in). Next time will definitely be a breeze! :hiking:
 
@NavyGunns , no I don't have to climb a gorge, but I do have to dance, which I love to do and I have the most amazing pair of shoes, but will take a comfortable pair for later...lol
I worry about the stiffness because the next morning my entire family, (I'm one of nine kids) will be at my house for brunch. My mom and sisters will cook but I worry about me holding up....:umm:
 
Pick your battles to win the war. When you get the chance to sit then do so. If people want to help or take over then let them.

Pace yourself and you will have an amazing wedding day and brunch the following day.
 
@Doupie, I completely agree with @Nick-UK. The day after the gorge hike, I just relaxed. If others wanted to go do something that I knew would aggravate my knee more, I passed. It was a matter of deciding what’s most important.

Yesterday was day 1 of a two day bowling tournament I am competing in. Bowled 3 games yesterday and my knee held up fine (bowling wasn’t very good though:bawl:). Today I bowl 6 games :scare:. Instead of going to the casino with the rest of the team, I chose to rest up in my hotel room after dinner. Fell asleep a little after 8 pm and only woke up once during the night! Best sleep I’ve had in weeks :yes!:. Hoping for much better outcome for today’s scores and don’t expect much trouble from my knee either.

For your upcoming wedding, give yourself some reasonable expectations and work towards achieving them. Maybe your goal is to simply enjoy your wedding day and the reception following and NOT worry about the following morning. Let the rest of the family take care of that. If the next day means you spend most of it sitting and relaxing but you enjoyedyour wedding day and reception dancing the night away, then I would say you were successful in achieving your objectives.

I’ve found that a lot of our recovery lies with our mental outlook. If we are overly worried and fearful, then the worse tends to come true. If you stay positive and optimistic, accepting the minor setbacks as just that, in the end you come out well ahead of your best expectations!

Just my thoughts, but what do I know....? :shrug:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom