Guest viewing is limited

PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

@kneeper i agree with you about the narcotics. Haven’t taken any for the past three days. After discussion with my pharmacist, I’ve been managing my pain the past few days with a combination of Tylenol and Motrin. I’m not experiencing any issues with the combo and feel the Motrin is helping with inflammation reduction.
 
Last edited:
@NavyGunns .... sorry about your moderated post. Sometimes our systems security is a bit overzealous and for some reason picks on a post that is perfectly okay. That happened in your case and your post was automatically flagged for review. Jo and I see these notices when we log on and deal with them immediately. I saw your post; it was fine, of course, and I approved it so it now appears on your thread. I apologize for this happening, but it's the price we pay in today's world to keep the bad guys off our forum. I hope you understand....
 
Thanks Jamie! I completely understand! I was thinking there was something wrong but couldn’t figure out what and tried to edit it several times with no success.

Also, I apologize for raising the question on the open forum. I just became aware I shouldn’t have done so. I’ve edited my earlier post to remove that part.

NG
 
We all overdo at times! My guess, though, at your stage even a ride on mower would upset your knee as it gives a bumpy ride! (or at least the one I used in my younger days did!)

3 years ago my husband and I moved into a 55+ community. We own our house but not the land it sits on. Part of our rent payment goes to lawn maintenance. The first time after we moved in that the lawn cutters came my husband went out on the front porch and applauded! (he has never liked cutting the grass!)
 
The vibration of the riding mower hurt me along with the bumps. It was really a s..l..o..w mowing for a few months. But, you do what you have to do.
 
@Jockette that is so funny! My parents (who are 79) live in a retirement community in Florida where grounds maintenance is included. The first 10 years they lived there my father insisted on doing his own lawn work. He always enjoyed it and always had the best looking yard in the neighborhood. My understanding is that when he decided to let the lawn care guys do it instead he actually stood outside and watched as if he was overseeing their work.

I don’t have that luxury. At least I don’t have a real large yard.

I’m recovering okay from yesterday though. All day has been spent with my leg elevated and iced. The ice makes it feel stiff, but it’s keeping the swelling down and pain/aching to a minimum. Not expecting to sleep well tonight but we’ll see. Haven’t even taken a nap today. Haven’t felt tired.
 
he actually stood outside and watched as if he was overseeing their work.
My husband’s grandfather was like that. My husband spent a summer cutting Pop’s lawn as a kid and Pop actually followed him while he did it. Not surprising he despises lawn cutting!

On the other hand our son couldn’t wait to be old enough to cut the grass. My husband eagerly awaited the day. When it came, both were happy! :happydance:
 
I’ve noticed on several other threads members making references to information they obtained from their surgical report. I’m assuming that this is something I would be able to ask my OS or his office administrator for? What kind of information might I expect in it? Also, what kind of reaction might I expect from my OS? Do most people get copies of their surgery report (and X-rays)? I’ve not experienced any issues with my OS or the outcome of the surgery, but I’m wondering if having my own copy would be a good thing?

Thoughts / recommendations?
 
I wanted my operative report because @sistersinhim said she got hers and thought it was interesting to read, and I thought I would find mine interesting, too.

I didn’t get around to asking for it until my one year check up. By then I realized that I have some issues in my recovery and also thought it would be good to have if/when I seek a second opinion. I now also have all my X-rays and the MRI report from before surgery. I doubt I will be seeing this surgeon again.

The operative report is a step by step report of the whole surgical procedure. I did find it interesting and understood more than I thought I would. I also learned I’d had a lateral release done, which might explain the discomfort I still have on the lower lateral area. My surgeon did not tell me he’d done this. The report said he did that release because during the procedure my patella did not track properly.

I just asked for all these records at the front desk when I arrived at my appointment. They didn’t question me and just handed me a paper to fill out.
 
@Jockette thanks for the background on why you asked for your records. I’m thinking I’ll wait till my 2 month follow up to ask about my records.

Thanks again.
 
My surgical report wasn't offered and I didn't feel the need to see it. But my OS did pull up the xrays at my post op visit and showed me what was what on them. Kind of cool to see the implant in there, especially because you wouldn't know it's even in there.
 
@kneeper, my OS also pulled up X-ray s taken at my 2 week follow up. I agree it was neat to see how the implant fit, especially for me since I had a PKR. He used the X-ray to show the before and after view of my knee showing how my knee is now balanced and no longer bone on bone.

Although I don’t have any issues with my surgery so far, I’m thinking it would be good to get a copy of the surgery report and X-rays. Prior to my surgery, I tried to get a copy of my records from the surgeon who did my arthroscopic procedure 19 years ago. Turns out they don’t retain patient records more than 10 yrs unless you are an active patient with the doctor. I hadn’t seen him since at least 15 or more years ago. If I had a copy of my own, it wouldn’t have been an issue. That is the main reason I’m thinking of getting a copy of my surgery records this time.
 
My surgeon took X-rays at every checkup. Since you’re not having any problems you probably don’t need copies now. You will collect a lot of cd’s if you ask for them each time.

My surgeon was happy for me to take a photo of the X-ray while it was on the computer in his office. I did that twice, using my phone.

But towards then end of my first year I realized I’m probably not having a normal recovery, so that’s when I asked for all of them. They are all on one cd.

I would ask for the operative report if for no other reason just to read it for information. You’ll probably never need it for anything other than current curiosity.
 
Today was my fourth PT, start of week 2. Session focused on reducing swelling, stretching, and some work on strengthening thigh muscles, especially my quads. After 5 minutes on the stationary bike and some light stretches, my PT measured my ROM (he wanted a measure before I got started on the primary exercises). Great improvement from last Thursday. Extension was 0 and flexion was 120! Last Thursday I had 0-112. Both we’re unassisted. While massaging and working my knee back and forth, my PT says he could actually feel fluid moving from my upper calf through the knee and into my thigh (he was doing this with my leg elevated). All I know is what he was doing felt great and really helped loosen up my knee making it easier to move. He also gave me a compression sleeve to wear during the day while I’m working from my home office to help cut down on fluid build up in my lower leg / ankle.

Have had two good night’s sleep , hoping for a third tonight.

I just hope my progress continues without any set backs. It will make all of this well worth while.

NG
 
Great report. Remind me--are you working at home at your desk or back at the office? If you're home, can you take elevation breaks?
 
@kneeper, I’m working from my home office. Today was day 2. I did set up a chair with pillows so that I could elevate my leg off and on. I have to admit I need to do a better job at it though. I tend to get caught up on tasks to get done and forget I’ve still got a lot of recovery going on. In fact, even though I had PT yesterday, I decided it was necessary to get the backyard mowed after dinner. I took it easy and walked slow, but my knee did “have a talk” with me last night. :bignono:

Today was another PT day. I get a break tomorrow and the another session Thursday. The next two weeks I drop to 2 sessions per week. While I didn’t overwork the knee joint itself, I did give the leg muscles a bit of a workout. I’ll probably pay for it again tonight. :banghead:

That’s my biggest challenge, not keeping mind that I’ve still got a lot of healing to get done. :sos:
 
What an eventful week! First week back to work (from my home office). After two days sitting in my desk chair, gave up and moved to my recliner so I could do a better job of elevating and icing my knee. First two days I had problems with fluid build up in my ankles because I wasn’t elevating my knee often enough.

Ended up spending 4 hrs in the ER Tuesday night (not because of my knee thank goodness). Developed some burning and sometimes sharp pains in my abdomen. Because of some major abdominal surgery in the past two years, my wife insisted I go. Had concerns of either a hernia or other internal issues. ER couldn’t find anything serious. Visit to my PCP next day determined I had strained my abdominal muscles in that area. He suspects it occurred Monday night / early Tuesday morning while sleeping. Since I sleep with my leg elevated, when I go to sit up and adjust the pillows or covers, I probably did so in a way that strained the muscle. This to someone who was working out quite regular before my PKR surgery!:upright:

Had three PT sessions this week. Therapist says I’m doing great! Love his encouragement!:yes!:
My ROM today was 0-120 which was great because I had experienced some swelling earlier in the week after PT sessions. We talked about that today. He said as long as the swelling is minimal and goes down quickly with elevation and ice, I’m okay. Some minor swelling is to be expected. His main concern was if there was any significant pain and swelling that would limit movement and not respond to icing. He also said minor swelling, especially after you try some new activity with the knee that puts new strain on the muscles and ligaments, can be experienced even 12 - 14 weeks post op. The key is that it doesn’t last and responds to ice and elevation. As healing continues and the muscles and ligaments get stronger and stretched out, the swelling will eventually stop occurring.

I love how my PT explains what’s going on and what to expect. He also makes me feel great! He’s only 30 but he calls me “young man”!:happydance:

He also told me that my current progress point is where most of patients are at 8 - 10 weeks post op and I’m just wrapping up week 4.

Rest of this week and weekend are dedicated to resting the knee. Next week I’m formally in the office 3 days. We’ll see how that goes. :whistle:

NG
 
It sounds like you are doing super! What a great report!
 
You’re doing wonderfully! Surprising, though, the little things that can happen in recovery. I hope your abs feel better again soon.

Going back to work, even a few days a week, at five weeks is ambitious. You won’t know until you try, I suppose. Keep on top of elevating your leg while at work. Unless formally in the office still means working from home, the more challenging part will be the commute. Most commutes involve lots more walking than we realize. Let us know how going back works out for you. Returning to work is one of the things people ask about most!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom