Guest viewing is limited

PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

I do find it interesting that I’ve noticed a significant reduction in swelling (and increased ROM as a result) over the past couple of days since being on Motrin. Coincidence?

Nope. Not a coincidence. NSAIDs do reduce inflammation a bit, so you're probably noticing that. But I'm going to second the warning about bone-growth inhibition. I first heard of this from my dentist, who told me to not use Aleve or Motrin or other NSAIDs for healing from dental implants! Go figure.

Go light on the Motrin. There are other ways to reduce inflammation. I'd rather have strong bone!
 
Well, my first PT session seems to have been a great success . The therapist assigned to me was very familiar with my surgeon and his preferred approach to PT. He even stated that my surgeon is his favorite OS, that his experience with patients with that surgeon do much better than most others.

From my evaluation, my unassisted ROM is 4 to 115 which he said is excellent for 3 weeks postop. He then evaluated my ability to walk up and down stairs, leg strength, and ability to perform various low stress exercises. I was able to pedal a stationary bike full turn (very slow) for a full 5 minutes. Had to raise the seat up quite a bit, but I was surprised to find it didn’t hurt at all. The area over my knee cap was tight, but not sore. By the end of 5 minutes it still felt good . Finished up with 15 minutes of TENs device with a cooling wrap. Knee felt good, tired, but no pain.

Although my PT prescription calls for 3 sessions per week for 4 weeks, my PT doesn’t feel that will be necessary. We are going to start with 3 this week, schedule 3 for next but may drop to 2. Last two weeks will only have 2 sessions if even needed.

So far, I’m really happy with the attitude of my PT and how things went for day 1.

NG
 
I wish we all had PTs like that, and surgeons like yours. I didn’t.
 
Well NavyGunns sounds like some smooth sailing on the PT seas there sailor. Good going
 
Thanks @slipjoint ! Wish I could take credit for having served, but alas, I can’t. My “handle” comes from the fact I work for a company that provides military equipment and systems to US DoD. Naval guns are just part of what we do. I thought the moniker sounded different and have used it for years.
 
The issue of pain medication is tricky. My OS had no problem prescribing hydrocodone. I used some hydrocodone for 4 months, lowering my dosage as pain permitted. For me, it was more effective than other meds, and as my pain subsided, I had no problem quitting.
 
2:00 am and a good nights sleep still eludes me! Been avoiding daytime naps hoping it would help me fall asleep at night. Was really tired tonight so was in bed, lights out before 11:00 pm. Woke up around 12:45 and been awake since. Decided to checkout my BoneSmart buddies hoping I would get droopy eyed enough to fall back asleep. Maybe after this post.

Yesterday (Tuesday) was day 2 of PT. Started off on stationary bike for 5 mins, no tension. Felt stiff but also felt good. No pain. Rest of session focused on various activities to help get leg muscles to re-engage. Nothing caused any discomfort. PT was constantly asking if I felt okay with the activity and to stop if any pain. Wrapped up the session with a great massage of my leg and all around the knee then ice and TENs. Get tomorrow off, then 3rd session for the week is Thursday.

Overall I feel great about my progress and believe I’m doing well to keep a positive outlook but this sleep issue is becoming a bit of a challenge to maintaining that perspective. I’m just starting week 4 post op so I know this is par for the course.

Well, I’m going to see if I can get some shut eye that lasts till at least sunrise (6-7 am).
 
Been avoiding daytime naps hoping it would help me fall asleep at night. Was really tired tonight so was in bed, lights out before 11:00 pm. Woke up around 12:45 and been awake since.

Avoiding naps in hope of better night sleeping doesn't work. I tried that. I think everyone tries that -- we warn people but everyone tries anyway -- and it doesn't make one bit of difference. Because sleep is precious, snag it wherever possible. Grab those naps and enjoy them, as many as you can catch. You'll still sleep at night if that's in the cards. In the meantime, you're getting more sleep, even if during the day. :sleeep:
 
@SusieShoes you make a good point. I guess since I’m feeling so much better overall, I just don’t want to admit that daytime naps still do me good. When I first got home from surgery, there was no way to avoid naps as I was so exhausted and wanted to just sleep, regardless of the time of day. Now, I just want to get back to some semblance of a normal routine.

Last night I did fall back to sleep shortly after my post, guessing around 3:00 am. Awoke at 5:00 am when my “meds” alarm went off. Luckily, was able to fall back asleep shortly after, but was wide awake by 7:20 am. Guessing I got a grand total of maybe 5 - 6 hrs in chunks of 2 hr blocks.

I return to work next week (start of week 5 post-op), but have the luxury of being able to work from home. . Maybe once I start back into that normal routine my sleep patterns will begin to normalize. Until then, I’ll just keep plodding along.
 
It's still very important to sleep whenever and wherever you can. I would fall asleep in my bed. Wake up in a few hours, then get up and get in the recliner and go on Bonesmart for a few minutes and then fall asleep there for a few hours. Then back to my bed, etc. It was a catch sleep when a could. Sleeping is extremely important. When you sleep you heal even more, so sleep away!
 
Finally a decent nights sleep! . Fell off shortly after my bedtime pain meds and didn’t wake up until 30 mins before next dose due. Figure I got a solid 5 hrs. Then fell back asleep for another 2+ hrs. Didn’t take my Norco last night though. Only took Tylenol. I wonder if the Norco is giving me issues. Haven’t taken any prescription pain meds in almost 48 hrs. I also had an ice pack wrapped around my knee when I fell asleep (both times). Still there when I woke up. Maybe that’s the key? Will try again tonight.
 
I wonder if the Norco is giving me issues.

My sleep improved immensely once I stopped my oxycodone. Many people have sleep disruption when taking narcotics. If you can manage with just Tylenol, that's a good bet for better sleep!

Ice can't hurt anything, and your knee probably likes it, so why not make it a nightly ritual for a while?
 
@SusieShoes i completely agree regarding the ice pack. Plan to make it part of my sleep routine.

I didn’t realize that narcotics can affect sleep. I always thought they would make you sleepy, at least they did in the hospital.
 
PT #3 done! No pain but boy does my knee and leg feel tired. A good tired, but definitely needs rest, elevation, and ice now. Got an update ROM measurement but not until I was all done with everything so it may have been impacted some by minor swelling. I gained some extension and maintained flexion. Measurements were all on my own effort, no assistance of any kind. ROM is now 0/112. On Monday it was 3/112. Not too bad for less than 4 weeks post op. PT says it’s excellent which made me feel good.

NG
 
As long as I was on Oxy, my sleep was awful. Once off of them, I slept some better. Still not great, but better. I also used a ice water circulating machine all night long. That kept the pain level lower. While on Oxy, I slept any where and whenever I could. That meant morning, afternoon, and night naps!
 
glad to hear you are progressing. it is a huge operation and not having one before we are unsure what is good or bad.

what I have learnt from this site is steady as she goes and build at your bodies pace. I have to remind myself it has only been a 10 days. 8 am sure there will be good days and bad.
 
Good morning everyone! I’ll think that although it’s a bit rough. Paying the price for over doing things yesterday. Although I did say I got a good workout in PT yesterday, that’s not the culprit. Against my better judgment, I decided to get some of the lawn mowed (rain forecast for entire weekend and it really needed cutting) I use a self-propelled walk behind mower, not a rider. Only did the front yard, all I could tolerate. Walked real slow. Felt tired but not overly sore when I was done. Elevated and iced the rest of the evening. Didn’t help, knee decided to make me pay. Didn’t sleep very well. Back to 2 hrs or so at a pop. Swelling is very slight, but the soft tissues and muscles all around the knee are very very sore! Of course the rainy weather is also going to add to things.

Looks like today will be a rest day with lots of icing and elevating. Maybe I’ll even get a nap or two in. If can’t sleep at night might as well grab when I can. Have to rest up for Saturday as I’ll be spending the afternoon out and about with my wife and daughter for Mother’s Day (she wants to go shopping, dinner out, and then a few hours at the casino). She knows I’ll be doing a lot of sitting rather than walking. Trying to decide if I can find a way to bring along a few chemical ice packs.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I think the narcotics make you drowsy, but don't give you good sleep. Sounds like you're doing well using ice, tylenol and listening to the knee. :thumb:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom