PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

Josephine,

Thanks for your feedback. After reading your link on the correct way to do heel slides, I can see the difference in approach. I’ll definitely give it a try.

Today was a really good day in terms of knee flex bend range without discomfort. Guessing I gained maybe an extra 5 degrees? It also looks and feels like swelling is down quite a bit.

Tomorrow is my first follow up with my OS. I’m really looking forward to getting his insight to my progress and next steps. I’ll be sure to post an update.

NG
 
All,

I’ve not seen this question on any of the posts I’ve read so far. The skin on my knee just the left of my scar and extending down to just below my knee cap is numb. Kind of feels like your jaw does after a visit to the dentist. I know this is due to nerve damage when the incision was made, but I’m wondering how long it will take before it disappears (if at all)?

Thanks.

NG
 
I’ve still got a numb patch after over 3 years. It’s not a problem, doesn’t bother me, feels a bit odd still if my knee brushes up against something but it’s not something I worry about. A lot of people seem to have disappearing numb patches but maybe I’m stuck with mine.
 
Here's the article about knee numbness:
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
How long it will last is unpredictable and variable.

My right TKR is 6 years old and it's only in the last 6 months that the numb patch has diminished.
MY left TKR, though, isn't yet 3 years old and I hardly notice the numbness at all. It has decreased much faster.
 
I still have the numb, too. What's crazy is it will itch on the inside underneath the numb area. I try and scratch it, and it's really feels strange! BTW, my other knee still has numb spots, too, and it's been 15 years since its last surgery! These numb spots don't restrict me at all and I know why they are there. Yours are the same way. There's nothing at all wrong in having them. Some people get feeling back, some don't, like me.
 
My right knee took about 2½ years to normalise, the left, about a year.
 
Today was a good day (but tiring for my knee). Had my first follow up with my OS. He says my progress is exactly as he expected for 2 weeks post op. He was really pleased that my flex is over 90 (probably close to 95).

We discussed PT. He wants me to go 3x per week for 4 weeks but focus is to work on reducing soft tissue inflammation, improve healing, and improve general movement. He agreed absolutely no reason for manipulation to gain ROM. That will come as swelling decreases and soft tissues heal. He emphasized not to let therapist try to force the issue. Was so glad he and I were in agreement on that issue. Tomorrow’s task is to find a therapy center I can get into fairly quickly.

But all of this came at a price. I ended up being on my feet with no opportunity to elevate and ice for almost 4 hours. . Needless to say it felt so good to get home and get my leg up with ice on it!. My knee gets a break the rest of today. I think it earned it.

NG
 
We like your surgeon! Mine was a fan of pushing my knee to a painful place to measure.
 
Jockette,
I like him too! He came highly recommended and had a 6-8 month waiting list just to get my initial appointment! Needless to say, I’m glad I was patient.

When I first mentioned some concern regarding overdoing PT and aggravating inflammation, he stated that was the main reason he does not allow PT until after the first 2 week follow up visit. If he feels inflammation is still too significant, he holds off PT even longer. Unless I run into concerns, I don’t go back to see him for 2 months (mid-July). I’ve actually got a bowling tournament the last week of June that he has cleared me for (with the understanding that my knee may still be somewhat stiff, but should be plenty strong enough and healed enough). He just stressed to listen to the knee. If it doesn’t like it, I’ll know. If so, stop. Can’t disagree with that approach.

NG
 
My surgeon thinks like yours, @NavyGunns. He doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing. For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
His patients all do well and achieve good ROM, as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.
 
Absolutely not! I think I am in love with your surgeon! A BoneSmartie at heart for sure!
 
I went back to bowling,carefully, at 12 weeks. I was not ready at 2-ish months, but that’s me. I’m not the least athletic.
My first game after surgery was a 70! But I did get a strike, to which someone said, she’s back!
 
Lol.

My doc says the only reason he agrees to clear me is that I’m left handed. Since my left knee was the one operated on, it won’t have as significant an impact.

I just hope I do better than a 70 or else my teammates might not let me go back home. Lol
 
I’m 62 and the youngest in our league! I’m amazed at the high score some of these senior citizens get!
 
What a wonderful approach to your recovery your OS has! He is up to date on the latest recovery way!
 
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon: You have a great surgeon and PT! What great support for a model recovery!
 
Good morning all!

My first PT is scheduled for next Monday. Couldn’t find anyone close to home that had openings for this week. But that’s okay. Gives me a few more days to heal and work on stretches on my own.

Speaking of which, every day they get so much easier and greater range of motion. Was even able to go down steps this morning normally (versus sideways) with minimal discomfort!

Thanks all for your on-going encouragement. Knowing what others have been through, what to expect, what to avoid, and what to take advantage of has really helped.

NG
 
Good morning all. I have a new question.

I had my OS change my pain meds at my follow up as a “step down” beginning to getting off opioids. I was on Oxycodone (10mg) (1/2 to 1 every 4 hrs) which I mainly took at night only to help sleeping. When that prescription ran out, my OS moved me to Norco (5 mg) (1 - 2 every 6 hrs) again mainly to help sleep. During the day I’ve been taking OTC Tylenol Extra Strength (500 mg ea) (2 every 6 hrs). Because Norco also contains acetaminophen, I’m cautious not to exceed daily limits.

My question is what other OTC pain meds are recommended besides Tylenol that I can safely take during the day while still taking the Norco at night? I would NOT be taking both at the same time (just to clarify).

Thanks

NG
 
You're doing great, stay positive and don’t let a few discouraging days get you down. You will be better off than before surgery, that was the whole point and that is where you will be soon.
 
Thanks @slipjoint for the encouragement. Overall I know I’m doing well. Actually feel like I’m doing better than I expected. Hope you are too.

NG
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom