Guest viewing is limited

TKR Phrog's Great Expectations - Downgraded a Little<

.
I am thrilled to be able to walk farther even though I need the cane to do it, but have been secretly worried about the pain on getting out of a chair and the numbness and the feeling that my knee is hanging there and the IT band problems that seem to come and go.

Please don't keep your worry a secret! People may be able to help! I don't have any words of wisdom, other than the fact that at 4 months, I still experience some of the issues you are describing. Therapeutic massage is helping me with the IT band, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I'm lucky that the therapist is willing to do a half-hour targeted massage. I couldn't afford to do a full hour massage every week (that's what the facility officially requires).

Keep on walking! I've noticed that quite a few BoneSmarties say walking is what rehabbed them the most. Use that cane until you don't need it any more--it'll continue to give you confidence and will help you concentrate on walking with good form. The farm-market trip sounds lovely. Do more of that!

X0XO, my thyroid buddy! I've read many of your positive messages to others. Your worries and struggles deserve a listen as well.
 
:thankyou:Thanks, everyone. @jaschembra, I'm sure the meds will get sorted out - and I appreciate your positivity. Knowing that we all face some bumps but get there eventually is hugely helpful. I hope we both cross the finish line in the marathon sooner rather than later, but then no one said it would be a sprint.

@Pheebs52, you always lift my spirits with your humor and common sense. I'll be thinking of you this weekend as you trek off to find your future home.

@Polkadot, thyroid buddy, extraordinaire, thanks for the good advice and the empathy. I'm going to follow everyone's advice and keep walking. Yesterday, the senior center had the option of a walk around a nice outdoor shopping center or the regular classes - I chose to take advantage of the nice weather and meet them at the shopping center for the mile walk. The good news is that afterward I did a little shopping and "only" spent about a hundred bucks. :heehee: I'm going to the water exercise class this morning, but if it hurts, I will get out and sit in the spa.

I don't know if just getting affirmation that I'm not crazy and something is out of whack in my recovery has led to this, but I am painfully aware of my darned leg in the last few days. I was up icing my aching quads and knee at 1 a.m. My husband teases and calls me a big baby, but he's the one babying me. We are both ready for this ongoing recovery to get going.
 
Retail therapy! Knee-rah! Let us know how the water exercise goes. I'm thinking of starting that myself!
 
@phrog, there's almost nothing as good as retail therapy, lol. Join us in the Social Room, under a new thread entitled "Super Swellers and.....I forget the rest, but you'll fit right in. This way, we can all wine and whine in unison, lol.
 
Thanks, @Pheebs52 , I will look for you all in the social room. And @Polkadot and Pheebs , it was my first time in the pool in a couple of weeks due to the lingering cold I've had, and it went fairly well. The regular instructor was gone to another "Active Aging Week" event and the sub was asking us oldie but goodies what the exercises were. Worked well for avoiding doing too much. :heehee: The only thing I had trouble with was a lunge like move. My surgery knee was unhappy so I didn't do that. The danger is always doing too much because you don't feel it much in the water, and I am sore tonight from just above the knees to my ankles - both legs - Trying to decide whether to ice or use heat. I love the water exercise as long as I don't overdo. It's kind to the joints.
 
@phrog, thanks for the tip about not overdoing during water exercise. I'm visiting our Y by the end of this week to sign up for the aqua class.
 
@Polkadot , I bet you love the aqua class. Just listen to your body - I'm finding that if it hurts on land, I shouldn't do it in the water. Even if it doesn't hurt at the time, it will later!
 
I'm feeling a bit frustrated this afternoon. Among other reasons, my own meager attempts at massage are not relieving my muscle/tendon pain and I've been scouring the Internet for someone who does medical massage (I think that is the right term). I see all kinds of ads for massage places but none that specifically talks about post TKR massage. The ads talk about stones and Swedish and Chinese and full body, but no mention of problems related to knee replacement. I see my OS in 2 weeks, but he is 90 minutes from here and won't know providers in my area. Amazing at it seems, I don't know anyone who is getting regular massages or using a chiropractor. I'm about to ask for more physical therapy, but I don't know if the insurance will pay at 7 months post op. Any suggestions for a more productive search?
 
Try "therapeutic massage" and "massage therapy." Also try "wellness center." Find anywhere that offers yoga and give them a call. They may have good recommendations.
 
I have had success searching "therapeutic massage" as well. Still have to filter through some, but many more appropriate results.
 
I did try "therapeutic massage" and "massage therapy" and didn't get great results, but I'll take another look at those and at "wellness center." I hadn't thought about the yoga studios, but that sounds like a good idea, too. :thankyou:@Fire wolf and @Polkadot! Polkadot, did you join an aqua class?
 
I have plans to go to the YMCA on Monday and see what's what. I know the class has already been going for about a month, so have to find out if I can join in, or if it's a closed class. I'm going to get the schedule of "free swims," too. I could do quite a bit of the aqua exercise on my own if I can find a time when the pool is fairly quiet--obviously, during school hours would be good! I think their pool is large enough that they rope off a couple of lanes for lap swimmers and leave the rest for paddlers like me.
 
@Polkadot: It's awesome that you might be able to do it on your own. I've done that a couple of times when I couldn't make the scheduled class. Classes stop at 1:30 most days at the pool I use, and members can use it on their own then. It's great to have that flexibility.
 
Check with your doctor about the PT. I know my insurance will pay for anything the doctor prescribes (I also know my husband has phenomenal insurance and I am blessed to have it). So this script didn't even mention the TKR, just patellar tendinitis and it band syndrome. The deep tissue massage the PT is doing is working really well. im almost to the point of believing the PT person regarding the scar tissue and tendon because her thumb has made some pain go away. Stinging burning pain. Now I might should knock on wood making that statement!
 
@jaschembra, thanks so much. When I see the OS in two weeks, I will definitely ask him about a referral. Last time I saw him (four months ago) he said he would write a script next time he saw me if I wanted one, but he ORDERED me to join a gym. The fitness center I joined at the senior living facility was my compromise. I have Medicare and a very good supplement, so maybe there is a chance. The massage was the most valuable thing I got out of the 12 weeks of PT I had.

It's such good news that deep tissue massage is working for you. I will knock on wood right along with you. Knee surgery has made me superstitious! ;-)
 
I am about to get on my bike for at least a few minutes. I've been sitting at the computer paying bills (and yes, checking BoneSmart) for the last hour, and I am feeling pretty stiff . Getting out of this chair may be the hardest part of my day! :fingersx:

Today I did 45 minutes in the pool with the arthritis exercise class and I went grocery shopping immediately after. I was in the store for an hour and a half of slow walking, plus putting it all away when I got home. That's quite a bit of time on my feet all at once, but except for the constant clicking of hip, knee and occasionally ankle, I felt only a little discomfort and heaviness in my leg . I probably shouldn't stay on the bike long, but I need to do something to loosen up a bit and then maybe ice the knee and do heat on the thigh after dinner.

I still have not heard from my primary about my overactive thyroid so I made an appointment for early next week to see her. It's unlike her not to get back to me, but I am taking it as a good sign? I see the OS Friday next week, though and want to give him my primary's take on whether the thyroid could be slowing this recovery. . . which has gone backwards about two months in terms of leg strength - and just when I was thinking about taking the "downgraded a little" part off my thread's name. :heehee: I hate that the cane is once again my companion for anything more than walking about a tenth of a mile.

At seven months, it's a little late to find this out, but it turns out the senior community care residential facility where I do the arthritis exercise class also has a PT on staff. I will keep it in mind if I decide I will get my right knee done. Their PT was at the pool with someone recovering from knee surgery today and told me they start pool therapy as soon as the incision has healed - often by 3 weeks. I think that might have been a kinder way to go than the traditional PT I had. Eddie was wonderful for massage and did listen and reduce the aggressiveness of what I was doing when I complained about how sore I was getting, but water - oh how I love the water. :swim:
 
Last edited:
@phrog, does your knee kneed some company tonight? I think mine feels about the same way, lol. I'll bring an extra large ice-blanket!
 
What a most excellent idea, @Pheebs52 . An ice blanket sounds lovely. I will bring a bottle of my best Lodi Zinfindel and our knees can commiserate. Or should it be white wine?

Did you order an ice bag for your next journey? I'm thinking about it - might be more water-tight than a zip-lock and I hopefully wouldn't leave it in a molding cooler.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom