THR philau43's recovery thread<

Good Afternoon @phillau43
You'll love being home in the comfort of your own space without the unwelcome interruptions.
Let us know how you're doing once you're settled in and resting comfortably. We're here for you.
Safe travels home!

Well I wasn’t expecting this one. Lying still on my back in bed at night with a pillow between my legs as advised, the backs of my heels became very sore over night. Any recommendations?

Yes... they do get sore from back sleeping... I put a soft fluffy shower mat under my heels at night.. it stops them hurting.

At least now you are home you can start your recovery... the first few nights are difficult but it all gets better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a piece of sheepskin that worked amazingly well also.
My legs constantly waved to move about, and the friction, I suppose, had them sore.
Sending healing vibes as you get through these first tough weeks.

I’m new to this type of communication so I’m not sure how to reply directly to your message I am happy to share some info if it helps
The objective of the questions is to help you! But here they are - please read it all carefully and answer as instructed - thanks

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

I took mojo’s advice on the sheepskin and it really helped my heels which were very sore.

Good Morning @phillau43
You're not alone in that complaint. Sore heels are unexpected.
Hopefully on of the suggestions above work for you.
Wishing you comfort as you begin your recovery at home.
Stop by often, we're here for you.
Happy Saturday! :wave:

Thanks Josephine

1. Posterior surgery

2. Pain levels are 4. The operated hip is level 2, the unoperated leg has some periodic stinging numbness on the thigh peaking at a 6 and the heels are a level 4 when lying in bed

3. Paracetomol 1g x 4 a day 4-6 hourly
Naproxen 250mg x 4 a day 4-6 hourly
Gabapentin x2 a day ( just 3 more doses remain)
Oramorph 10ml as required for breakthrough pain (one dose taken in last 24 hours)

4 not tried icing as yet!

5 since only coming home from hospital yesterday I’ve yet to establish a routine. I got out of bed around 8:30am took meds, breakfast, washed, dressed, did standing physio exercises and walked around the house a little. Then sat in chairs until lunch at 2:30, took meds and lay down about 3pm until 5pm. Then back in chair but leg not elevated.

6. Necessary Activity level is minimal thanks to my attentive wife! No 5 describes today.

7. 3 repetitions a day
Standing exercises
Hip extension x 10
Hip flexion x 10
Hip abduction x10
Lying exercises
Static Quads x10
Inner range quads (non yet!)
Hip Flexion x10
Hip Abduction (non yet as can’t move leg!)
Straight leg raise (non yet as can’t move leg)
No external PT provided.
Lying inner range quads x10
Lying Hip abduction x10
Lying straight leg raise x5
A slippy drinks tray helps!

2. Pain levels are 4. The operated hip is level 2
okay
3. Paracetamol 1g x 4 a day 4-6 hourly
Naproxen 250mg x 4 a day 4-6 hourly
Gabapentin x2 a day ( just 3 more doses remain)
Oramorph 10ml as required for breakthrough pain (one dose taken in last 24 hours)
Paracetamol: If you're taking 1gm it should only be 6hrly per day, never 4hrly
Naproxen: okay
Oramorph: I would have though you should be off this by now. The others should be plenty.
4. not tried icing as yet!
I suggest you do. Ice is the best pain reliever. Ice to control pain and swelling
5. since only coming home from hospital yesterday I’ve yet to establish a routine. I got out of bed around 8:30am took meds, breakfast, washed, dressed, did standing physio exercises and walked around the house a little. Then sat in chairs until lunch at 2:30, took meds and lay down about 3pm until 5pm. Then back in chair but leg not elevated.
You should elevate Elevation: the do's and dont's
6. Necessary activity level is minimal thanks to my attentive wife! No 5 describes today.
okay

3 repetitions a day
Standing exercises
Hip extension x 10
Hip flexion x 10
Hip abduction x10
Lying exercises
Static Quads x10
Inner range quads (non yet!)
Hip Flexion x10
Hip Abduction (non yet as can’t move leg!)
Straight leg raise (non yet as can’t move leg)
No external PT provided.
Lying inner range quads x10
Lying Hip abduction x10
Lying straight leg raise x5
A slippy drinks tray helps
!
Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

This is not a joke - hips really don't need exercise or physio. But this doesn't mean sit around all day and do nothing. Note that last sentence All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess. The exercising is what is causing your pain.

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Thanks for the advice - I shall take it on board.

Ice, walking and elevation then? How often and how far should I walk.

Today I went initially around the house/kitchen but later in the day I also went around part of our garden. I was probably on my feet for 10 mins or so. Also, got a pack of frozen peas, halved it into a smaller sealable plastic bags, wrapped it in a tea-towel and left on my hip for an hour or so, held in place by my underwear. Is this what I should be doing? Just read the notes on elevation - I might need a suitable raising device.

Just a bit of walking around the house is plenty for now! Just to and from your bed, bathroom and chair. In a few days increase that with a loop through the kitchen. For elevating you can just some staggered pillows either on the bed or couch. Don't get too gunho walking outside yet! In your articles above you will see "Activity Progression for THR"; It's a great guide

Day 5 post op, following night 2 at home and not the best night’s sleep. The good news is that the Senna tablets and Laxalose liquid finally worked really well at 1:47am... and again at 4:40am ... and again at 6:55am! Okay - enough now!

Quite uncomfortable sleeping on my back, but the sore heels tip worked (thanks @Mojo333) but as I am naturally a side sleeper the instinct to role over is over-whelming. Woke twice to sweaty wet pillows (yuk) which the wonderful Mrs H changed for me without asking (she is a goddess you know).

Gave up lying down and got up and came downstairs about 7:15am (early for a Sunday -it is Sunday isn’t it?). Beautiful day in Staffordshire where we live, the sun is shining and the birds are singing and all seems well. If only I could get a bit of gardening done.. Only joking @Josephine. Will try more icing today and arrange a pillow stack to get some elevation whilst settling down to watch the latest Game of Thrones episode.

Sounds like a perfect recovery day in beautiful Staffordshire.
The first couple of weeks is such a trial for sleeping but it gets better & better...
Well done on the BM & the BM & the BM [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] at least it’s working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to have things "going" as that can make one quite miserable!
I was never a back sleeper either, so I certainly sympathize ...lots of moaning about that from new hippy's, so we do understand.:unsure: I just had to be a power napper during the day in my recliner as a full night in the bed just didn't happen for quite awhile.
These are early days from a surgery where you had major construction and lots of trauma to soft tissue, muscles and ligaments stretched and pulled. Things are still aggravated and inflamed so ice ice ice!:ice:
So glad spring has sprung where you are and you are having a beautiful Sunday!
All will get better and better!:SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom