BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] philau43's recovery thread<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by phillau43, May 8, 2019.

1. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi all
    THR My first post! Struggled to get out of bed today. I did get vertical -just - but blood pressure dropped sharply and I became very light headed. Physios said this was normal but I’d hoped to sit in a chair. Gosh it hurts too!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi @phillau43 and :welome: to the healing side.
    We will get you some recovery guidelines to help with these first rough days.
    Many members have BP issues just out of surgery so do be careful and make sure you voice all pain issues so that they can get your pain management cocktail just right.
    This is the tough part so try to relax and just roll with it for now.

So glad you are on your way to a hip pain free life!:ok:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. 59billy

59billy senior

Welcome to Bonesmart!

The first few days can be rough, but it gets better. It doesn't take long for things to be better than pre-surgery. Just remember that recovery is a marathon, not a sprint.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi,
    Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us. The blood pressure issue you mentioned is a common one. I'm sure it will level out soon. And there is pain initially. One pain is replacing the other. but the good news is this pain can usually be very well managed and instead of getting worse, it will continually get better until it's completely gone. You're on your way! Make sure you get the pain under control before you're discharged. If they're not providing you with ice, please request it. It's great for pain and swelling.

Following are the Recovery Guidelines. Pay special attention to the article "ICE" as well as the BIG TIP toward the bottom of the page. Stop back often. We'd love to follow your journey and offer support and encouragement along the way.
    Wishing you comfort.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfo
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @phillau43

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Thanks everyone for the support and kind words of encouragement. I fully expected my natural super powers would mean I’d be up and about day one. Turns out I’m not a superhero after all!!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Give it at least one more day before you don your cape :wink:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Eman85

Eman85 post-grad

You might get up the first few days, but you're not going about for a while. You've got plenty of time on your hands for a while. Reading the guidelines and the recovery posts on this forum will give you a very realistic timeline for your recovery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    The shocking pain of surgery only lasts a few days really and then as it gets controlled, you will be able to tell the horrible pre-op pain is gone. Do take the advice of icing, it makes such a big difference!
    :ice:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

Hoping that pain goes very quickly... after a few days it changes to a tight feeling that makes you need to walk & stretch it out... make sure you take the meds ahead of the pain...
    Take those superhero pants off from outside your trousers... just for a few weeks!!
    Each day gets better & better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Welcome to the other side! Once you get that BP up a bit and your pain management cocktail just right you will notice a big difference in this recovery. It's all about taking everything slow and steady.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

Welcome @phillau43, glad to see you on the recovery side. The low blood pressure thing can be a dilly the first day or two even if you typically have high blood pressure. Just slow and steady, before you know it those super powers will kick back in!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Thanks everyone. Managed to get vertical again this afternoon and walked a few slow and painful steps. Sat in a chair for a short while. I respect the advice from everyone on this forum but it was quite a shock to me how painful and stiff the leg is. Slow and steady progress is obviously going to be the order of the day.

• Like Like x 6
  13. bickypeg

bickypeg senior

I was very faint and dizzy at first. Are you sure they know you're in a lot of pain? Are you a big bloke? Perhaps they haven't got the dosage quite right? Do complain.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Debru4

Debru4 senior

Those first few days surprised me too---it was such a different kind of pain......surgical/traumatic pain, as opposed to the chronic, debilitating pain from the bad hip. But around the 4th day I began to feel a bit better each day, and I was so relieved! If your experience is at all like mine was, you can expect to have a wide variety of different sensations and pains as you recover---it seems like one thing gets better and another pops up as you become more active. But all of them will feel far more manageable and easier to deal with than the first few days. Icing, rest, and managing your pain will all help!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Morning. Day 2 post op and a much better nights sleep. The intravenous paracetomol 6 hourly and 4 hourly oramorph (morphine) is keeping the pain under control when I’m stationary. I was offered oxy-codeine this morning but wasn’t sure. Pre op I tried codeine phosphate and it made me feel very nauseous but I have been given anti hemetic to enable the morphine to be taken. What do people think about the oxy-codeine option?

Thanks Josephine. I’m new to this type of communication so I’m not sure how to reply directly to your message I am happy to share some info if it helps

17. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Hopefully going home today..yay

• Like Like x 4
  18. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

@phillau43
    Great that you are going home today but don't be surprised if home feels strange to start with. I felt a bit abandoned without the nurses around to check on me and give me my meds.
    The best thing you can do,is to make sure that you take your meds on time and not when you feel pain. I set an alarm on my phone with the name of what I should be taking as not everything was taken at the same time.
    You will probably suffer with 'log leg' and won't be able to move the leg off the bed easily/quickly so make sure that you give yourself enough time to get to the loo which is usually required often in the early days.
    I am sure that you will have read that if there isn't someone around to help move the leg then use something like a dressing gown cord to help you.
    Best wishes for a good recovery

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Great to hear you are going home.:ok:
    These early days are a bit jarring...but well worth the payoff!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Fit4Family

Fit4Family senior

Hello and welcome to BoneSmart! Hope your trip home is uneventful. Such a great, supportive group here. Hope your journey to recovery is a quick one. That hip will start supporting you very soon. All the tissue needs a chance to recover first. I remember being shocked too with stiffness. Ice, ice, ice. :welome:

• Like Like x 1