BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] philau43's recovery thread<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by phillau43, May 8, 2019.

1. trenna

trenna junior member

Canada Canada
    Hello to my fellow May 7 hippy. Happy to hear you're doing well. I really loved my fitness tracker for managing my pre-op pain and giving me numbers that told me when I did too much post Op with my other hip.

• Like Like x 2
  2. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Day 7 - just
    Still abed struggling to find the motivation to get out of it. Not enjoyed a comfortable night again but I elevated my leg on pillows an hour or so ago and it’s marginally more comfortable so thought I’d lie here for a bit on the pretext that I am doing ‘elevation’ and not just being lazy.
    I’ve had a numbness in the outside thigh area of my unoperated leg for years but since having the THR the numbness when sitting has turned into a numb burning sensation at times. Most uncomfortable and difficult to control. Changing leg positions help for a short while (and it doesn’t seem to occur when I’m lying down) but it slowly comes back on and is quite unpleasant. Not sure it’s directly related to the THR or a consequence of being less mobile?
    Anyway, at midday I’ll have had my new hip for one whole week - a cause for celebration I think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :wave: Phil.
    I've heard you mention the aggravation of your left leg and I'm not quite sure what that might be except possibly sciatica, I have had that issue, and lots of lying about on my back certainly aggravated mine.
    It is hard to get comfortable these early days so you have my sympathies. Hang in there, it gets better.

:happydance:Certainly it is, though I shall celebrate for you...you need to take it easy. :giggle:
    It was probably two weeks out before I decided hip replacement might be a good thing! Do get up and tootle about when you feel you can.
    I found that getting up, holding on to the back of the sofa..I would raise my arm to the sky one at a time to stretch and get a little pressure off back.
    Keep the faith...all temporary.:tada:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy One Week Anniversary!
    Sorry you had a rough night. If you're unsure of the origin of the numbness in your non op leg, please mention it to your surgeon at your first post op visit, or schedule a visit with your Primary Care Physician.

Following is the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines, in case you haven't read through the articles yet.
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
    I think you'll find it useful as a gauge of what you could be doing and a reminder not to overdo too much.
    I hope you have a great day!
    @phillau43

• Like Like x 1
  5. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

Staying in bed when in recovery is not being lazy - it is resting to give our bodies a chance to heal. The surgery is hard on the rest of the body as much as the hip and extra rest is good for the body and the soul. Just think, after recovery you can be as active as you want and overdo without pain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

:flwrysmile:Hello @phillau43 I had my rthr on May the 4th so a newbie like you too. Hope you are as glad as I am at finding this forum as no one really told me the truth about this recovery period so it's fantastic having all the other hippys here to support us. Like you, I too am struggling with sleep (I think I can recite most of the tele adverts on around 2am, especially those darn mattress ones!), have the log leg and swelling and days full of ups and downs. Have a restful, restorative day

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Hi @ChrissyW thanks for the comment and support. If it weren’t for the poor nights I’d say a new hip was a doddle but I miss my sleep! I’m walking better now and keep dropping down to using one crutch alythough im carrying the second in case I need it. My leg is quite swollen but ice and elevation helps. I’ve not really bothered much with the physios exercises as walking seems to cover most of them. How are you doing?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Seem to be having a decent day today. It's my first day on my own and it has been relatively peaceful with the exception of a wasp that I have had to trap behind the blinds as I can't do anything else and my cat wanted to try catch it! Nights are worse for me as I can't get comfy either sat up in bed, lying in bed or reclining in bed- being in bed is clearly the issue however I struggle to elevate my leg in a chair as I have no where to put it! I'm walking around the house and taking my pain mess regularly so onwards and upwards.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

Phil & ChrissyW
    The nights are truly horrible... I threw a few tantrums to myself the first few weeks... no comfort to be found.. but one night.. it happened and it got better & better... good times ahead xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  10. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Hi @ChrissyW good to hear you’ve had a better day. The sun has been shining too - some might accuse us of planning these new hips just to top up the tan! I think I may have walked too much today - 2607 steps according to the Fitbit and mainly on one crutch The leg is more stiff and swollen now than yesterday but it was good to move about. Did a couple of hours of ice and elevation this pm to try and settle it back down. Anyway, here goes the start of another restless night; and to think I used to look forward to coming to bed

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Well how was your night @phillau43? Hoping it was more restful than mine which appears to have gone back to what was and my body has forgotten the previous night where it could properly sleep, even if only for a couple of hours. So here I am having found a tv channel I'd never heard of before (smithsonian) learning more about mystical beliefs brought with the Roman invasion! At least you were able to get out yesterday and enjoy the sunshine, I unfortunately don't have a garden and when I tried to get out the door the other day I got a brain block and had no idea how to get over the bottom lintel of the door., though I must say I'm quite proficient at lapping every room downstairs to ensure I get plenty of walking in. Actually my cat thinks I've gone made and she just looks at me with a ' why are you going round in circles' expression. Have a good day and don't over exert yourself

• Like Like x 1
  12. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Hi @ChrissyW sorry to hear your night was a poor one again - still, there’s a lot to be learned from the rise and fall of the Roman Empire, much of which could aid a restful kip!!
    I too pause at thresholds. Is it crutch first, then bad or good leg., or the other way round? Anyway, if you’re stepping down over the door threshold then crutches first, then bad leg, then good leg works for me. Coming back in it’s good leg first, bad leg, crutches. Hope that helps? Have a good day and if you can, fresh air is very therapeutic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. orange

orange junior member

Hiya, I have to keep talking to myself going up and down stairs. A B C and C B A = upstairs able bad crutch. Downstairs crutch bad able. Good job no one can hear me :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Day 11 post op. I’ve been trying to gently increase my step count over the last few days but haven’t got a disciplined approach yet. Increased from 2600 to 2800 to 3200 over the last three days. Went to see my previously very fit 80 year old mother yesterday who’s waiting for a THR to her right hip - I think she was a bit jealous! I’m walking better than she is! The nights aren’t getting any better with 2-4 hours of sleep at best but managing to nap during the day. Pain is under control with little or none at all. Discomfort in bed is more frustrating as the leg gets too static and the muscles ache. I just want to roll over...
    Planning a short walk to the village pub today - it’s just got to be done

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mojo333

:beg:Please do try to take a disciplined approach as it is easy to overdo...and there has been significant trauma to soft tissue -bone, muscles, ligaments, and tendons. Alot of your body's energy is being directed to healing and muscles take more than a month to heal..longer for bone, tendons and ligaments.
    Shorter walks more often can be more helpful than longer walks...and less likely to cause tendinitis and other chronic problems.
    Seems like it never hurts until we stop.:umm:

Plenty of sympathy here..power naps were my only saving grace from the uncomfortable attempts to sleep..
    Keep the faith...it will come.

Glad you are doing so well but let's not create problems for your hopefully forever new hip.
    Hope you have a good weekend @phillau43 :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
  16. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Thanks @Mojo333 for the advice. Is a ‘short’ walk 5 minutes, 10 minutes or more? I’ve been aiming at two proper walks a day, with the rest of my steps being just around the house doing stuff!

17. Mojo333

I personally wasn't doing proper walks at 10 days out, however I had double trouble.:chuckmarch:
    I reckon, for the first three weeks, that tootling about the house (as sitting also gets uncomfortable) and no more than ten minute walks to be helpful but not too much.
    I'm not saying I didn't overdo at times, but I did listen to my body and follow up these 'experiments' with a super easy does it day with lots of resting and ice.
    Recovery IS such an individual process...and you do know your body best. But slow and steady does won this race, in my opinion!
    I have been accused of being the Cassandra of the site:heehee: and do worry for my impatient new hippy pals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. phillau43

phillau43 junior member

Day 13. Thought I may have done a little too much yesterday with 5500 steps but there seems to be little reaction from the hip this morning. I took three walks each of about 10 minutes (1000 steps give or take) plus the usual pootling around the house. That said, I had the worst nights sleep (3hrs 39 mins!) I just couldn’t get comfortable. The desire to role onto my non-operated side is strong, but I am resisting. Does anyone have a view when side sleeping, albeit with the ever-present pillow between the knees, is permissible? Do I really need to wait 6 weeks?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

Well... I did wait 6 weeks as I always do as I’m told () but I’m 9 weeks post op & still can’t sleep on my side.
    Whether it’s my brain or what it just doesn’t feel comfy ... & I’m getting desperate..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. mollymum

mollymum member

I can manage on my side foe 10 mins!! Frustrating doesn't even describe it............. but this too will pass.

• Like Like x 2