Guest viewing is limited

petrified of op and life afterwards....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stargirl, I'm right there with you re: worry about the surgery! I'm so worried about it and life afterwards and life 20, 30, 40 years from now. Gosh, I'm already thinking about the revision - whenever that may be. But I keep coming back to life now and how it isn't any kind of good quality active life. That and the pain is what is pushing me. We have no where to go but up! I'll be following your recovery and can't wait for you to tell me that it is all worth it! I'm hoping to get on the calendar sometime in March.
 
Oh, ladies, you are exerting so much energy with all this worrying. Here are a couple of thoughts on worrying to consider:

[Bonesmart.org] petrified of op and life afterwards....
[Bonesmart.org] petrified of op and life afterwards....


Please take deep, deep breaths and relax. Everything is going to be all right. [Bonesmart.org] petrified of op and life afterwards....
 
stargirl hi honey, just checking in with you.. Hope you are clear of all the fires?

Only a few more days for you to get through and then onto recovery .... Hugs Aussie girl xx
 
My beautiful bonesmart girlfriends thankyou for caring I swear I would not have the strength to go forward without you all behind me.
I saw my surgeon today for last tirade if questions and he seems so confident of a good outcome , I asked if I could ever go on a trampoline again or chase my nephews around the yard and he said yes as long as I don't fall off trampoline - well see :) apparently I am bone on bone now and he said if 10/10 were the worst rating I am an 11/10 omg .. I guess I really have delayed this as long as I could .

Wednesday is big day and I am just wishing it was over with now , can't wait to lose this limp and stop living disabled when u don't have to. Just want my old upbeat active self back and no more sympathetic looks when I drag my stiff leg.

Thankyou to you all again you are my strength xxxxx
 
Stargirl, I can't believe your rating is 11/10! Bless your heart, it's time for that new hip! I have one more appointment at the hospital before my surgery. I hope I get to see my OS again. I can't imagine not speaking with him one more time before my surgery. Are you getting or renting one of those ice machines? They are kinda pricey so I'm still on the fence about it. Did you get your books, videos and icecream like sissy suggested? I'm going to get the book she recommended, I think it's "Gone Girl". Let me know if I missed anything of great importance as I am just now beginning to get things together. Hope your doing well, I will check in with you tomorrow.

P.S. I really wish I was going in this week too. :sad:
 
Hi Weezi I am so proud of you saying that you wish you were going in this week, I honestly was not ready psychologically until now when I realize just how narrowed my existance has become and the repercussions of this including deteriorated self esteem , weight gain, the addiction of NSAIDS and consequence of this etc, and the list goes on !!!
Im have not thought about renting an ice machine I'll ask the nurses if they do this in Sydney? I know the hospital will rent me all the equipment I need including shower chair , sitting chair walker , cane etc.

They really seem like a great hospital i hope there after care is as diligent as there pre care .

I am going tmoro to get the book gone girl as our champion sissy recommended , anything our girls say believe me I'm listening !! :) I have a heap of DVDs to watch and books I've been hanging out to read so looking forward to have a chane to do so.

So happy I did arrange another spot with my OS my family were nervous I would scare him away as I already shot around 40 written questions to him and inevitably had another 10 or so today !!.
I hate how we are all made to feel nervous about asking questions the OS needs to understand no angst would not be human .

I'm gathering all my courage for Wednesday and know this is the only way forward for a chance again at a beautiful life .
 
Hi all, i am a 35 yr old who has the lucky jackpot of needing a THR as at about 5 yrs ago if i am honest however main deterioration has occured in last year or so. I cant help but think that if only by some miracle i could lose weight i would not need the operation because the pain would be so greatly reduced, (i am 173cm and about 95kg) weight gain is of course inevitable when you suffer immobility and depression from chronic pain.

I am at the stage of seriosuly commiting to anterior approach nxt year.

My great concern is that i have nothad children yet and could not locate anyone on the forum that has gone on to bear childern ok post having thr?. In conjunction i have started to experience niggle to my 'good hip' and am praying to god i wont require x2 thr!?!.

Lastly thinking of utilising Dr Michael Solomon in sydney (St Vincent Hospital) has anyone heard of this dr? he seems very credible on internet search?...

Hi,
I have had Rheumatoid Arthritis well, JRA as it started since the age of 4. I am now 50. I had the fun of having my hip diagnosed as needing to be replaced when I was 33, but waited a few years like you, in terror of "What will my life be like afterward". Watching my life go from color to a grey black of just pain and not doing for so many years. I finally had the replacement at age 36. Of course its scary, and I had ideas of being like an 80 year old and only being able to walk in the mall for fun. Never doing anything "normal" that a 36 year old could do. But you know, the part I wasn't thinking, was I wasn't doing it anyway. I sat and read and was in constant terrible pain all the time. I didn't sleep at night unless it was sitting upright in a chair, and I never went out with my friends or had any type of social life because I was always in such pain. So once I got to a point that the pain meds and the sleep deprivation was so bad I couldn't stand my life anymore, I decided to go ahead with the surgery. I had been working with a orthopedic surgeon for a couple of years, and already knew which one I would use. I did the interview thing and looked at it like a business venture since it was my hip and my life and I knew I would probably need my other hip replaced in years to come. Both were just as bad ,but the surgeon said chase the pain. Fix what is hurting the most. I decided to have the hip replaced and it was text book and of course there was pain, but there was pain before it, so it was a different pain, it was muscle, tendon, suture pain. Once that was over, and I could walk again, I had my life back! I don't even remember the surgery compared to what I got back in my life. I managed to hike hills in Ireland, go to concerts all over the United States tour Hawaii, go over seas and visit places I never thought possible and get my life back. I gained a lot of weight while not moving, but yes, depression was why I ate. And once I was mobile, I stopped eating because I had other things to do. Eating is why you gain the weight. Not sitting around. And once you can move, you have things that are better to do so you stop the bad habits and the depression seems to go away as well. Also the sleep comes back! Of course I have had my other hip replaced, just last year actually, last February 2012, and also now a knee in August 2012, and I have to have a foot rebuilt due to the windswept knee, but I know once that it's done, there will be again the movement and freedom I knew when I first had my hip replaced and was told I could walk. Its scary, but once you walk to the edge, take a deep breath and lean forward, falling into what you call a real life after the replacements is a lot more "alive" than anything you are experiencing now. You will be fine, you will have children, and you will get to have a life again, but you have to get past the pain you are in and the depression you are under, and the only way to do that is to move forward and get this handled. Stop putting off your life for something you aren't experiencing anyway. Just my opinion, but I see and understand how you feel and what you are going through. Best wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
:goodpost:SurfsideKaren You've been through a lot more than most of us, and I love your advice.

Hey Stargirl, I'm trying to figure out the time zone so I can be sure to send very positive vibes for you at the appropriate time. Are you 14 hours ahead of EDT? (Florida) It is about 1:25 p.m. here, so is it Tuesday morning 5:25 a.m. there?
What time is your surgery on the 21st?

Weezi and Stargirl, I also enjoyed A Song of Ice and Fire, the first book being Game of Thrones which the HBO series was based on. I read the first 4 books while lying on my sofa eating ice cream post-op. I read Gone Girl in between the 4th and 5th book. I gained 5 lbs:rolleyes: but it is coming off easily now and my jeans are starting to feel like they belong to my butt again.
 
Stargirl, I do not feel the hip, the only thing I know is that the new hip moves in ways I forgot my leg could even move in, I'm having the other one done in March and can't wait. Just have evrything ready at home, good book, comfortable clothes, sweates and hoodies were my friend, as they have pockets I could carry stuff in and cups with lids, so I wouldn't spill everything, also used a clincher bag, like a mini backback, just a little nylon bac that would go on and I could carry more stuff, aslo my trrusty grabber was placed there
 
So tomorrow is the big day!! I know it will go just great for you and you will be so happy to be on the other side and have it over with! My thoughts & prayers are with you tomorrow !! Hugs!
 
Woo Hoo SG, your BIG day is on the way! I'm so excited for you. No worries, no fear, just happy thoughts and lots of cheer!

:yay: :egypdance: :dancy:

Hugs,
Weezi
 
Hello Stargirl! Sending good thoughts to you! I'm looking forward to you being on the other side! Good luck & hugs to you!
 
23 Jan is here in OZ... My thoughts, love and prayers are with you stargirl ... Hugs from your Aussie friend
 
It might already be surgery day where you are, but wanted to wish you the best! Soon you will be on the other side and on to a healthier new chapter in your life! Prayers for a safe surgery and complete recovery!
(((HUG))) (((HUG))) (((HUG)))
 
Many thoughts of you today, Stargirl; figuring you may even be in OR by now. Good thoughts coming your way from all over the world! Let us hear from you as soon as you can.
Hugs and :SUNsmile: from Florida.
 
Tomorrow is the big day Stargirl. The first day of being new again. I have shared your worries
Ups and downs and am so happy your day has come. I'm right behind you on Friday and look forward to
Hearing how well your surgery, recovery and Rehab are going on the post-op side :SUNsmile:
 
It is already afternoon in Sydney. I hope you brought your laptop or iPad or smartphone to the hospital---the world awaits news and inquiring minds want to know how you are.
In the meantime,:angel:
 
Hiiiii guys!!!!! I'm ok!!!!! :) I will start post op thread ASAP but basically just woke up from procedure 1hr ago And no doubt due to spinal feel nothing !!! I mean nothing a little itchy in spots like my legs but nothing. I guess I'll post once the anasethesia wears off but basically lying in hospital bed wearing stockings and have this thingy majig on my good leg like a blood pressure wrap inflating and deflating for DVD avoidance. I am a bit apprehensive as to what I'll feel once spinal wears off but the nurse says well cross that bridge when we come to it and they will have me on endone and oxy something :) ph won't let me type it.

I don't think the nurses like me asking so many questions but they don't know how much you guys taught me !!!! :)

Love to you all talk soon xxxxxxx
 
:goodpost: Cheers for our Stargirl!!! Welcome to the good side, Star Warrior. You are well armed with all your BoneSmart knowledge to make sure they're taking good care of you. Ask your questions---the best nurses won't mind (think of Josephine!)

The minute that you feel the first twinge of a pain, let someone know.

And don't let anyone get you to do anything that hurts, especially straight leg lifts.

I'm so happy for you that this thing you have dreaded with anxiety and faced with courage is finally done, and from now on every day will be better than the last (that's really not true, you know, how often we say it is like 2 steps forward, 1 step back, but this is a time for celebrating and optimism, and the big picture is that your days and your life will be better and better.)

Hip, Hip, Hooray!!!:yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom