Howdy Karen and bonesmart folks! I've been out of touch for a while, wife having spinal surgery next week, working, and life took over and so my writing on all fronts has come to a complete stop. Yes, I am scheduled for surgery May 27th and I've gotten myself tracked in so to speak. I'm going out of town to Chicago (I live in Sarasota FL) for surgery which as you can imagine adds another layer of complication onto a process that already has lots of moving parts. Ultimately it was simply the reviews of other patients and the sheer number of TKR's in a year that had me go out of town. One day it will be easier to get more complete information on physicians...their track record, reviews, etc. but for now the process takes a bit of drilling down, reaching out and then listening. Thanks to all I've written to for their input. You know who you are! Originally I was focussing on the kind of prosthesis, then I started looking at technique, and lastly placed the most emphasis on track record and volume of surgeries done by surgeon. Most importantly is I'm comfortable and confident. Heck, it's my knee for heavens sake!
Been working on overall leg strength and flexibility, while attempting to keep heart healthy. Most of us knee folks know that getting in a good heart zone with one or in my case both knees shot is tricky. I've got a pretty good system of doing high intensity interval work with minimal impact on legs and all I can say is I'm very thankful that my upper body is all in one piece! Uhh, lets see, what else? I'm a picky eater so my wife and I are checking a coleman cooler full of all my weird concoctions and food experiments to warm up in the microwave at the hotel. She is infinitely patient (understatement.) We are going out of town for her back surgery as well and the tables are turned a little in that I've been making her her favorite chicken/bone broth soup recipe which will be flown up to Philadelphia in aforementioned cooler. I'm always curious about ways of rigging the game so my chances of having a good outcome are increased. I can control to some extent diet, sleep, and exercise. The rest I leave to the almighty.
Thanks to all for your support. I'll keep you all abreast of the various wrinkles and success's that come from this next ride I'm taking. Steve e