Guest viewing is limited

Personal Trainer Researching Total Knee Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to have a BTKR, I would get them done earlier than July or August---that way, you can give yourself plenty of time to heal, to recover, to strengthen yourself, and to gain stamina. It was eight months before I was at 90%-95%.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
However, that being said, (above)---I would do the same thing all over again. You do not have to have one done, recover, wiat and start the whole process all over again.

You get on with your life and lifestyle much sooner.
 
Thanks referee. I'm going to have just one done and cherry pick my time as best as I can..but I'm taking into account your comment! Maybe I will start the process in June..I'm sure I'll revise this as I learn more and comments come in. Good thoughts as they come from direct experience.
 
I had a BTKR, and I had a slight limp for about five months---it did not really interfere with anything---I even called balls and strikes.

At six moths or so, I was at 80%-85%, and, like I said earlier, eight months post-BTKR, I was 90%-95%.

I honestly can say that very few people realize how long a recovery can be.
 
I'm going to have just one done and cherry pick my time as best as I can. Maybe I will start the process in June..I'm sure I'll revise this as I learn more and comments come in. Good thoughts as they come from direct experience.

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart. I'm glad to know the forum has been a help to you. I hope your knees don't have other ideas. They often don't pay a lot of attention to what we schedule for them! :heehee:

Be aware that things can worsen very quickly sometimes....maybe when you least expect or want it. My first knee lost all the meniscus in a period of about 2 months following an arthroscopic procedure. It was a surprising experience to me and very humbling. What you don't want is for something like this to happen and you then have to wait months for a surgery date.

All that said though, you are the only one who knows when the time is right for you. Good luck in your surgeon search!!
 
Just a little more feed back on the Gazelle Strider thingy that I bought...What's really cool about it is that you never flex your leg and yet you can still get an amazing all over the body workout. This one has these cylinders on it that make it harder to use the upper body section so both the chest muscles and the back muscles get a pretty rigorous wallop of action. I wear a pulse monitor and I'm able to get my heart going into the same zones I used to be able to get running and using the stepper. I'm thrilled.
On the knee research front for those that are interested...I'm looking at what's called mid vastus approach which supposedly spares the quadriceps muscles from being cut. There are of course pros and cons to this approach as it is said to involve more skill on the surgeons part and minimally invasive surgery in general is supposed to have a higher revision (re do ) rate over time. I'm also still looking at the conformis knee as well. I'm definitely narrowing the list for a surgeon down. Aiming for end of June now.
 
Hi Earthspa ..I have 2 PGC Sygma knees that work great and my surgeon did not cut the quads ..he did however slit the tendon vertically to separate it in order to flip the patella...worked great as I have had a terrific result...someone(forgive me but I cannot remember who) pointed out that cutting the quad muscle is not used much anymore...as a trainer you would likely have a great recovery...

Vinny
 
Hi @earthspa I agree with Roy, the sooner the better but understand entirely about finances. I was told in July 2010 by my OS that he'd operate when I was ready. I schedule twice and cancelled, once because I decided I wasn't ready and once due to work pressures. From the second cancellation date in August 2011 to my operation in December 2011 I went rapidly downhill to the point I couldn't walk more than 10 minutes without being in agony and with anti-inflammatories. I stopped the anti inflam maybe a week before my op and then I couldn't walk more than a couple of minutes.

The moral of my story - don't wait! Go as soon as you can.
 
Steve I agree with @Campervan as far as how fast things can turn..last feb.I scheduled a golf trip when I could still walk around the course..by May I was riding in a cart and by June I asked for a handicapped flag and by August I gave up as I could hardly walk 10 steps some days.....I am just sorry I let my first OS talk me out of replacement because he thought I was too young at 62 and he trimmed what was left of my right knee miniscus..the downward spiral can be fast and precipitous..life with my new knees is completely different and wonderful again..

Vinny
 
Yes @Campervan things are moving along rapidly in the wrong direction for me as well. I think I've got my timing pretty well figured for july...like Vinny I'm kinda walking the full golf course right now (metaphorically) but I should be shot by end of june and actually looking forward to the surgery.
 
You are certainly ready for the surgery when you are looking forward to it like @TexasTee and @Maggie94 who are up next Monday for Teresa and Tuesday our time and Wednesday in Australia for Maggie...not for the surgery itself but the result..

Vinny
 
Yes, indeed - I'm definitely looking forward to the after part. I had a good 6 months between deciding the timing and doing the deed. There were times I regretted not just doing it earlier but this time was better financially, for work, and for weather - there is nothing I want to do outside in February other than come inside!

If July works for you then July it should be!
 
hi @earthspa found your thread and have it on my watch list:thumb:

Like you I have always been active - I have not been able to lunge or squat for years - its a real bummer as it inhibits so many activities...

I'm up for a BTKR on Wednesday 28th - 4 days away... must admit to starting to get a few nerves happening but I am absolutely committed (may be committable - LOL) and looking past recovery to activity - that is my goal - all forward thinking. Recovery will be hard - but I am choosing the one day at a time and listing at least one positive from that day... I'm a believer in the power of positive thought and attitude.

Keep posting and reading on this forum - you will hear so much about preparation and recovery - take care - Maggie x
 
Maggie thanks for reaching out. Onward you go, you've taken the bull by the proverbial horns and are dealing directly with your pain. I reckon you have been on this post a while and your about as ready as u can be. Listen I can easily, 5 months away, give myself a case of the jitters..maybe it's cause i make my living from using my body to show other folks how to work with theirs, maybe its the years and years of yoga that have made me in a way far too attached to certain movement patterns, heck, maybe i'm just super sensitive or something, but the thought of this procedure can lead me to odd internet sites promising a new meniscus from stem cells or a shamen in peru who can do it with his spirit guide. Sigh. The reality is a total knee is better than my pain on a bad day. I will be sending you best wishes for your upcoming surgery. Until then get your sleep and trust.
 
I totally understand where you are - I do not make my living using my body, it's true - but without a functional yoga practice I really don't think I'd be fully me. I can connect myself to so much thru my practice and the final straw was dual for me - I put off a trip to Italy as I was afraid I'd not be able to explore how I've always wanted too - and I was making excuses not to go to yoga. Finite! End game - put me on the list. When it's time, it's time.
 
@earthspa

Best of luck. Your physical condition should help in recovery, but the early part of a BTKR or single is a bear. Just Margaritaville time only w/pain meds and ice on the knee instead of the blender. May send you a PM.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Roy as to the Bilateral versus one at a time. You will find a huge difference once the surgeries are done. The deep internal pain is gone almost right away. You will only have to deal with the surgical pain after that. And that is not a minor detail but it fades week after week. I think everyone searches for the alternative to TKR, supplements, treatments, braces, etc. But one day you make that decision. For me it was the right one. And it sounds like you've reached that point too. Good luck and welcome to the Forums.
 
@Roy Gardiner - I'm not so sure all replacement knees are the same...the one I recently got is the smith & nephew Oxinium Verislast knee...it's typically given to younger active people and lasts significantly longer than other knee replacement technology according to the research I saw...in the neighbourhood of 40+ years, depending on how you calculate it based on the primary data I've seen... https://www.smith-nephew.com/patien...al-knee-replacement/30-year-wear-performance/

@earthspa - I had pain for 30+ years, starting with my left knee (football was the initial cause for meniscus damage). I put off surgery for many reasons...mostly because the technology at the time was only good for 10 to 15 years if you were lucky and I was told by my surgeon you could only have the operation twice. Anyway, I put surgery off for years and finally, this past October 21, 2014, I had my left knee done...it's a life changer...I'm waiting for my right knee to be done...will be done this march, 2015...waiting for a date. I can't wait. Don't wait longer than you have to...life is completely different with a knee that gives you ZERO pain...

Peter
 
I think everyone searches for the alternative to TKR, supplements, treatments, braces, etc. But one day you make that decision.
I used braces, sleeves, pills, ice, etc---but the writing was on the wall, so to speak. It was merely prolonging the inevitable.

The BTKR got me my life back.
 
BTKR gave me mine back too....amazing..hope mine last 40 years as not sure I would do a revision when I am 107 probably just go with a walker
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom