Guest viewing is limited

TKR People are making me feel like a wimp after RTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang in there! I am on my 4th week of healing and I have not driven yet and I don't leave the house too much ... just started to more this last week. My home PT is always telling me how well his other TKR patients are doing and I always remind him we are all different and I am still progressing in my own way.
I've got one of those too, SadKnee. I had my surgery 2/20/13 and I'm doing the best I can. My PT is always telling about his 70 and 80 year old pts. that had surgery in less time than that and they're ALL further ahead than I am. I just started the transition from walker to cane on Tuesday. I did better in today's session because he bandaged my knee because my major complaint is, I can sometimes feel the hardware moving around and when it does, it startles me and I'll walk stiff-legged. The other day, I told him I had major baggage(the knee is fine now)from my last TKR six yrs. ago. Of course since I'm a woman, I got the "yeah sure" look. Today, I had my husband explain the past trauma that I had experienced to him(man to man, so may be he'd believe him)and this worked and he lightened up a little. I also asked him have YOU ever had TKR surgery??? It's always the people that don't, that are the ones to quickly pass judgment.
 
My PT is always telling about his 70 and 80 year old pts. that had surgery in less time than that and they're ALL further ahead than I am.
You should tell him about your 2 and 3 year old nieces who've had no schooling yet but ALL have better manners than him.
 
Please accept where you are and please don't compare yourself to others. I going very slow because I don't want to blow it. this is a ruff surgery and I don't want to have to repeat it so I'm going at snail pace. I know I stayed home for some time because I needed too. It very personal. I drove when I felt it was safe, it took me some time but so. People that haven't had this done have no idea whats its like. In fact I got a lecture today because I wasn't moving fast enough. I took time to explain it, what a waste of time. So I am now on my path that I need to be on. You can join me and we will get there when we are suppose to get there. We set the pace. Take care Tashia

I'm taking it slow too for the same reason. I've only been out of the house once so far and that was a trip to the doc's to get the staples out 2 wks. ago. I got the same lecture today also but my husband set him straight as to why. I'm definitely planning to go out tomorrow to get my hair done and to go to Red Lobster for a belated b-day dinner.
 
You should tell him about your 2 and 3 year old nieces who've had no schooling yet but ALL have better manners than him.

I honestly don't understand the bedside manners of these folks. I realise some people may need some encouragement but come on. The PT I had 6 yrs. ago was an even bigger jerk than this one.
 
Great suggestions, etc. from everyone.

At some point I mostly quit telling people about whatever progress (milestone) I made. The response from those who had not had TKR, but knew someone who did was often "Make sure that you keep up with the physical therapy EVERY DAY or your knee won't do very well." If I DID say anything about any improvement, I'd immediately say I'm keeping up with my physical therapy, and ...". Mostly though, I just didn't say anything unless someone asked how I was doing.

An older friend who is a mall-walker had a lot more trouble with her recovery -- mostly because she could not take the high-powered pain meds, and was limited to regular aspirin or Tylenol . She had her TKR a week before mine and is FINALLY starting to feel a bit better about having had the surgery. She's still not willing to say that she's glad that she had the TKR, but it's better. Even for us older folk, recovery isn't a "breeze" -- regardless of what some people will tell you. As has been said, each person -- and each knee -- is unique in how the recovery happens.

Glad that you've joined our group here. There's a lot of wonderful friends here to help each other. :friends:
 
^^^ Hi Becky! Great to see you! How are you doing? :flwrysmile:
My daughter is dreading taking her son to his 2 year old pedi appointment. He still drinks his bottle before bed. She is afraid that the pediatrician will scold her. I told her not to worry about a thing that I promise he won't have a baby bottle in his lunch box. When my dil was potty training my grand-daughter, you would have thought that the sky was falling when she had an accident. (at 2!) I told her she wouldn't have accidents in kindergarten. Same with our knees. It takes us all our own way/time/path to get to where we are going, and eventually we all get there in our own unique way.
 
Thanks, Nyland. It's great to see you too. I'm doing well. Magrat complains sometimes, but behaving much better than in months past. Yep, we'll all get there in our "own unique way" -- as time passes. :thumb:
 
We certainly do heal at our own rate. And, the only ones who truly understand are those who have experienced what it's like to recover from a TKR! It's something that cannot be rushed...your knee is absolutely the boss and I mean BOSS!
I've been getting out and about more and several have mentioned how they hadn't seen me, etc. I told one person, that she wouldn't like me when I'm taking pain meds, especially the cocktail I took for weeks. She has been through alot herself and just laughed when I told her that. I also told her that my laundry consisted of pajamas, house socks and underwear. We laughed about that, too. But some people are really bad about comparing people and how they heal. And that bunch usually have no frame of reference for what you're going through.
Things are getting better and I'm starting to feel like I did before my right knee gave me problems. I did some yard work for the first time in over a year! My knee problems go back 10 years, but the right knee hit rock bottom a year before the replacement. The left knee isn't happy, but it isn't nearly as bad as the one that I had replaced. It's wonderful to live without all that pain. I still take pain meds, but, before long, I won't need to and I look forward to that.
 
Things are getting better and I'm starting to feel like I did before my right knee gave me problems. I did some yard work for the first time in over a year!

It's wonderful to live without all that pain.
That is what it is all about!!! Regaining your life and enjoying it---not enduring it!
 
I started outpatient therapy today. I'm pleased with the new PT. Moving on to outpatient pt. might have been a blessing in disguise.
 
I agree. The pts are trained better and it is fun to get out of the house and go to the gym. i never used the in home pt at all.
 
It has almost been a full year since the total replacement of my right knee. Wow!!! What a journey!!! I've been reading all of these supportive posts...just don't know what I would have done without the wonderful folks on this website!!!!!
My "new knee" feels more and more like a natural knee and I'm sooo glad I proceeded with the surgery.
Maybe you've been told you need a knee replacement and you're reading through these posts....well, get it done and you will be thankful. I don't know ANYONE who has had a knee replacement and regretted it. My sister is a health care professional and she says the same thing.
You will heal at YOUR OWN RATE after the surgery. Don't rush it....or you will slow down the healing process.
The other day I ran a bit...just a very short distance...felt great!! :happydance::flwrysmile:And today is a beautiful fall day....think I'll go for a walk and think about how much better I feel compared to last year!!! :dancy:
 
It has almost been a full year since the total replacement of my right knee. Wow!!! What a journey!!!
It is indeed a journey---a marathon, or whatever, but it is certainly worth the trials and the ordeals of recovery---you are so very much correct!

My "new knee" feels more and more like a natural knee and I'm sooo glad I proceeded with the surgery.
Isn't that a wonderful feeling? It is now part of you and you can enjoy your life now---pain free!


You will heal at YOUR OWN RATE after the surgery. Don't rush it....or you will slow down the healing process.
That is an excellent pearl of wisdom! I am so very happy that you are feeling great now!
 
Everybody heals at a different rate. Everyone handle surgery differently and everyone has a different outlook. Don't make anyone make you feel bad. You know, there's always some knucklehead that knows someone, that claims to know someone who was running a marathon or climbing Mt. Olympus, 6 weeks post-op.
 
What a great report!!! I'm so glad things have progressed so well for you. It's good to read stories of folks who have had successful surgeries. A point of note, though, is that you ARE this far out from your surgery.....proving that "recovery" in some form continues for quite a while.
 
I guess I am a whimp too . I have not bounced back and I in my PJs now . I felt better after seeing your post . Thanks .Pam
 
What an encouraging report. This is just the sort of comment that makes us all feel that it was worth it. I'm glad to hear that this lump of concrete eventually feels like a knee again. Enjoy it!
Ironically, I have had a 'good' friend come to visit this afternoon and was most unsupportive as I had my leg elevated. Her response was that the more I could try and do the better I would recover and the quicker I would return to work... I had to smile and explain through gritted teeth that because I did slightly more than I should have done yesterday was exactly why I have had to spend the day with my leg elevated!
I think we should all campaign to the government of all countries to make a formal announcement about recovery times for TKR - or shall we all wear a t-shirt stating such?
 
what a great thread i could relate to everything in here and needed to hear this today.
im at 11 weeks still have not driven i just dont feel comfortable doing it and still on meds also have my wonderful husband who drives me anywhere i want and i cant believe my friends- this is california after all and they just look shocked that i dont want to drive.
also having a pj and dirty hair day laying at home after my knee started complaining i just dont want to tell anyone since i am almost 3 MONTHS! i feel like i have to explain to everyone that 3 months is a long time for most surgeries but not this one blablabla but will save my breath:mcoffee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom