Guest viewing is limited

PKR Patriciad Left PKR Recovery

So just over the 5 months and progress continues. I am sitting in my recliner in the very early hours of the morning with my ankles crossed and knee feels “normal” in that I am unaware of it. Walking more and actually want to walk as it feels so good. Am definitely further along at this point than with my TKR.
I babysit my granddaughter every week. She has some health issues and at 3 is not walking yet so lifting her up and carrying her can be a challenge on both knees so I find my knee swells and I have to take a pain pill that evening and will plan a quiet following day and stay off my feet if needed. The ice still works wonders. I tried heat but doesn’t work so well for me. No problems with stairs or steps up and down, don’t use my arms to get up from seated but still struggling with getting up from the floor - work in ungainly progress there. My scar is still quite red and I’m trying to oil and moisturize more but it’s not sore or irritated. Outside of knee still numb but definitely thawing out as more sensation. No longer have that feeling of over extension when walking. I used a small kitchen step ladder to do some long overdue dusting with no ill effects. (Oh dear no longer can use knees as an excuse for no housework! ) I am having a bout of the 3am wake ups and lose 2 hours a night - not sure why as not the knee. Hopefully this is temporary. So glad I am now the proud owner of 2 ugly but working knees!
Good luck everyone with your own recoveries.
 
Oh dear no longer can use knees as an excuse for no housework!
So funny just last night I announced that I may be ready to rejoin the housekeeping rotation in month 5. I said what I said.
:loll:
Thanks for sharing this recap. It's so good to see you doing well and giving us youngins hope for future knees.
 
I’ve never had to decorate my tree in segments before, LOL! I am finishing it up tomorrow! Sad that none of my family will even be at our house during the holidays. I do LOVE to sit in the dark and look at the tree though. And our kittens are LOVING the tree. Thank goodness they don’t weigh much. We had a cat years ago that knocked our tree over fully decorated.
 
@Sks1997 its so true that just looking at a lit tree can bring you peace. I have not put up a tree this year as flying out of town early on the 27th to visit my son in Chicago. I collect Russian and other hand carved Father Christmas’s so they are all out along with a table top tree and lots of lights, lanterns, and fake candles so I am getting a pretty glow at least. Enjoy the season and your lovely tree.
 
@benne68 - love your eye of beholder comment. My scars are hard earned and I’ll take knees that carry me pain free through life over my old, pretty but bone-grindingly painful ones any day!! I have many other scars that are not very pretty either but I’m here talking about them so bonus :rotfl:
 
. I’m loving all the posts on Christmas trees & other decorations. I’m missing a little getting all my “ stuff “ out, but looking forward to next year, and, it was so fun watching our tree go up. I loved all the traditions everyone described, and the creativity when it needs be a little different. Patriciad,your collection sounds wonderful! Sks1997, our 11 pound, 10 year old kitty Felicity loves to lie under our tree, she has claimed it as Hers. .
I will kinda miss waking up to those twinkling lights, but, I can Finally get comfortable in our bed upstairs! We’ve been married 51 years, and neither of us was getting really good sleep with me downstairs. But my insomnia seems mostly a thing of the past . Now kitty does not have to wear herself out, trying to check on us both. And, I can sleep on my side!! We have to be up at 6 anyway for my antibiotic infusion, so I come & lay down on the couch when we’re done, catch a little nap, & enjoy the tree, since it is still dark outside. As my sister regularly says, Life is Good!
 
Our kitties love our Christmas trees. They sit under them, hide from the dog under them and take comfort under the lights.... Now that some of the presents are wrapped, our old Maggie (16-1/2) can hide behind them in the back by the wall.
 
The scars fade over time. Enjoy them while you can.:) After a year and 1/2 my newest one is hardly noticeable. For a while I was putting a treatment to make the scar fade. I gave up, as a male I don't care how my knee looks.......
Very true--generally both those who do "lotions and potions" ) as one of our members called them) and those who don't put anything fancy on them find the scars will fade by about a year.
 
So 6 months down and feeling pretty good after a time sitting in the ODIC naughty chair. I went to Chicago to visit my son for just over a week at Christmas and first few days was clocking over 10,000 steps in walking and visiting. Then the temperatures plummeted and we were still walking downtown on occasion and took a trip to a local park to see all the lights and decorations. I had a warm coat, hat, gloves etc. and facemask doubled up it's use as Covid protection and face warmer so I felt OK but on the walk back my knees would literally not work in that they were totally stiff and refused to bend. The full TKR was more affected than my 6 month partial. I had very little ROM by the time I was back indoors and did not regain it back straight away. The ache would not ease up for days! I couldn't face icing so used warmth. FYI Temps were around 17F (it's colder now) So it's been a week since I returned and I am still consciously exercising and stretching, moving both joints daily. I think today I got back close to where I was before my trip. The cold and the damp has a noticeable affect on my knees but this was so much worse! So January project is to come up with crocheted knee bands for when I next go to visit my son. I did try leggings under jeans and the struggle was not a pretty sight - think Michelin man without the smile.
 
January project is to come up with crocheted knee bands for when I next go to visit my son.
Sign me up for a pair of those! My knees (both the "new" one and the "other" one) do not like the extreme cold we've had here the past few days.

was clocking over 10,000 steps in walking and visiting.
That's so great, @patriciad, Congrats!
 
Cold really affected my knee! And, almost 5 years later, it still does, even in the refrigerator section of the grocery store! :bawl:
 
10 months out!
Hello everyone - I’ve been offline for a while - I did check in and read the threads when possible but little else as we are in the process of moving. We sold in March and I packed a whole house full of boxes in 3 weeks. I was ready for the knee to complain but it cooperated beautifully and I had no problems with swelling or soreness. We are in rental accommodation up 2 flights of stairs for a few months while major renovations take place at our new place. My left knee is fantastic and I am no longer aware of the replacement. My old 5 year replacement aches on occasion but nothing much to write home about. I can perform all the activities of normal living easily and am so grateful for my new lease on life. I forgot about my replacements the other day and found myself kneeling on the floor looking for something. The original RTKR even seems to be improved - no doubt because for the first time in years I am actually walking correctly. Now if only I could get rid of this month long cough that has me so tired from lack of sleep I’d be laughing! Hope everything is going well with you all.
 
Yay!! Great report! :loveshwr: Congrats on the new place! Isn't it great when we completely ignore our knees??? Sorry about your cough. I've got a cold too but it's mainly in my sinuses.....
 
forgot about my replacements the other day and found myself kneeling on the floor looking for something.
Amazing! :yes!:

I'm so happy to read this. (Cannot wait for the day that I "forget" mine!) Thanks for sharing.

Good luck with the reno work on your new home. Hope you are able to move in soon and start nesting.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom