Guest viewing is limited

TKR Patience not my virtue

We have all been through what you are going through and are here to help!
 
Another question for those of you with experience. My op knee scar is healing well but my knee still feels hot to the touch at 8 weeks out. Is this normal?
 
Mine felt hot when it was inflamed and swollen - in the past week or so as I have recovered more from overdoing it at times, it just feels warm
 
My left knee is 11w old and it's just now not feeling hot all the time. I bet it's bc I'm not using it as much bc im resting the new knee. So I would say its normal for your knee to still be warm.
 
Yes, it will have heat for a long time. Mine used to get hot and sometimes red if it did too much. Now it still gets quite warm when I've been active. Be sure and ice. The heat is completely normal. I knew I still had heat with just a scope performed and had heat for 6 months so I'm sure this heat will last a year or more. My mom just celebrated her 1 yr TKR and after exercise, she had a little warmth. (We were comparing our heat the other day, she at 1 yr, me at 6 mos, lol)
 
My knees are still extra warm, too. Not as hot as they were a few weeks ago, but definitely warmer than anything else. And yes... we are scorching hot women!
 
The image I just conjured: hot knees in hot pants! Oh la la!

At almost 6 weeks, yep, noticebly warmer. GP said it's from the tissues below still healing.
Just think of what such an operation entails!
 
I'm over a year out and when I do more than normal, my right knee us warmer than my left, non tkr knee. So, a warmer knee is nothing to be concerned about.
 
As long as it's not hot enough to cook an egg you're probably ok . . . but seriously, if you are overdoing it the knee will be more hot than warm. :eyebrows:
 
Thanks for the news that we all have "hot knees"!
I am somewhat discouraged today. Have certainly not been overdoing the exercises but got on the bike today and had difficulty making a full revolution where I had been doing 10-20 a couple of weeks ago. I didn't push it. I rocked the pedals back and forth to where I felt a bit of a pull but no pain. Back to the icing!
I have an appointment with my own PT on July 18. I feel comfortable knowing he is of the mind that pain is not necessary to make improvements! Too bad he is on vacation this week. He will be a welcome difference to the PT that pushed me until I screamed and cried ( although that brought me to this site)
 
Just say "no" to painful PT - glad you will be back with the gentle one. Many of the Smarties have shared this graphic. The recovery path is definitely not linear so hang in there. If the knee is hot and swollen it won't bend so perhaps that is hindering the bike revolutions. Up until this week it seemed as though if I even looked at my leg it would swell up.

[Bonesmart.org] Patience not my virtue
 
The road to recovery diagram is spot-on. Here I am 12 weeks out from RTKR and I went on a long hilly walk I did a few has ago, and I cried through practically the whole thing. (sunglasses and large hat lest anyone call the authorities.) it was the rubbing of the IT band on my new parts causing the aggravation. So back to more ice and rest, even though I can actually do a mellow version of a strength training class!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today I was able to travel to my grandson's baseball tournament which was nearly a 2 hour drive ( hubby drove - I rode) I packed pillows around my right leg to prevent any jarring and so that I could elevate between games. I brought my ice packs in a cooler and elevated and iced. Just arrived home and although it was a great day, I have to say my bed is a welcome sight. My leg is tired and achy from hanging at 90 degrees for most of the day. Yay to this day and many more outings to come!
 
It's nice to get out and even nicer to get home after a long day -- glad you are taking care of the knee after a long day of baseball!
 
How nice to be able to get out to your grandson's ball game. Getting back to the normal things in life is so uplifting, even if we have to pay for it a little bit later on!
 
Wow, 4 hours in the car? That's a lot of 90 degree leg hanging.....*cringing*, but pay no mind to me; hah! I found out yesterday I have about a 30 minute tolerance to driving, despite being ensconced in my cushy *limo.* The payback last night was....:censored:.

I'm glad your regular PT person will be back this week; phew! The retrograde bike revolution scenario must have been due to swelling/inflammation as a result of....*something* too much.
 
It has been a rough couple of days after my outing to the baseball tournament. Not because of knee pain ( merely a bit stiff and achy) but because I have been experiencing severe stomach cramps, followed by diarrhea. I can't stand up straight! I am thinking this may have been the outcome of discontinuing the Tylenol 3 last Thursday. Can't be from anything I ate as I have eaten very little in the last couple of weeks because of the constipation the Tylenol 3 was causing. Has anyone else experienced this on coming off of a codeine product?
 
Did you come off 'cold turkey' or wean yourself off of it. If you cut it out suddenly, it might just be withdrawals. I have no personal experience with codeine since it makes me extremely ill, but I imagine you could get withdrawals.
 
Constipation is a known side effect of Codeine, which is one component of Tylenol 3, so it seems likely to me that coming off it too quickly could have caused your symptoms.
I hope they settle down soon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom