PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@chrisknee I had the Patellofemoral because I only had pain on the way to sitting down, getting up, and doing stairs. I was told I was not bone on bone. My doctor didn’t offer me a total or tell me much about the difference.

I thought I was catching my arthritis early and this was all I’d ever need.

The only way I knew I’d had a lateral release is because I read it in my surgical report shortly after my one year check up.

I did have a second opinion in June and was told 1. Not everyone gets a good outcome, 2. Sometimes doing it over can make you worse and 3. Some people’s bodies just don’t like the implant. Oh, and my X-ray looks fine, so there is no problem to fix.

For now I have shelved second opinions.
 
I can definitely see why you would shelve second opinions. It is amazing to me that some surgeons offer such little information about the surgery or alternatives. I only heard all the good things - never heard not everyone gets a good outcome, etc. I wish things would be more upfront - knowing what I know now I would have made a very different decision.
 
Interesting - part of signing my operative consent was the statement (warning) that statistically 85% are happy with their outcomes and 15% are not.
 
I felt like I had to take the chance even though I might be in the 15%, because my life was so impacted by the arthritis. I couldn't go many places or do anything I loved to do, so I felt, what do I have to lose? And I am grateful that so far, my outcome is better than prior to surgery.

Given what you've been through, Jockette, and the fact that you feel like you are worse off than before surgery, I totally get your disillusionment and anger, and disgust. I just can't help but think that there are answers out there for you, and you will find them. I just see that for you. Hugs.
 
You’re right Jockette - who would go through this if they believed they were going to fall into the15%
 
I’m sorry you’re going through all this @Jockette! I just had a mini-meltdown about my knees and how it’s been about a year since I could do anything I truly enjoy and that I’m headed back to square one for recovery so soon! The thought of beginning this process again is not pleasant to say the least, but my left knee is now creating so many problems it’s time! I feel like sometimes you just have to let those emotions out with a good cry otherwise you’ll explode. I can’t imagine the frustration you must be feeling so far out from your procedure! You’re very strong!

My poor mom is definitely in that 15% poor outcome group too...she had a TKR 3 years ago and still can only bend to 95 degrees and has pain and terrible stiffness. She’s tried just about everything, sought second opinions, does all the bodywork, and the implant looks great. Everyone said scar tissue and she had a MUA that did nothing. Turns out she’s developed terrible quadriceps tendonosis, likely from from immobility (the ultrasound is gnarly!) That seems to be where the most intense pain is. Her OS never mentioned tendon problems as a possibility, so her great PT referred to a different orthopedist (not a surgeon) in the practice, and voila! Answers!

Interestingly, she’s been trying a dry needling technique, where needles are insterted into the soft tissues (mainly tendons around the knee) to stimulate micro bleeding and platelet rich plasma (PrP) like effects. It’s really helped her flexion in the short term and her pain and stiffness. I doubt it would work for nerve issues, but seeing a neurologist or pain specialist might get you some out of the box options and make the conversation worth having.

Hang in there! Big hugs to you!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
I had a good (for me!) bowling day!! I got my second ever turkey! Today’s scores were 154, 102, and 140! :happydance:

Last week I was getting very discouraged with 2 of my games only in the 80s. My knee really bothered me that day, and throwing the ball even hurt my neck.

My husband made a suggestion today about how I throw the ball, and I tried to do what he said each time, and it made a difference. I hope I can continue to throw this way, our league starts up in 2 weeks.

Here’s a picture of my score. I’m the J on top. The other J is a good friend, and she calls us The Jays. She’s a hoot and so fun to bowl with. Her scores are as all over the place as mine are. She had a turkey with a score of 170 a couple of weeks ago.
 
@Jockette great going! My two leagues don’t start until the end of August. Haven’t touched a bowling ball since June.
 
Awesome Jockette!! I used to bowl in a league. I wasn't very good, but I had fun. I got turkeys 2 different times!! I think my average was about 110.
 
@KitKat64 Before surgery my average was 121. That was 2016/2017 season. My surgery was mid March 2017. I was able to prebowl the 7 games I’d miss from mid March through the end of the season in April.

I started bowling in June after surgery and did bowl the whole season last year 2017/2018 season but only ended with a 101 average. I cannot do my pre surgery approach to the line, and now at 17 months post op I still can’t put any weight on my operated leg while bending it, so that has changed how I bowl, and I’ve struggled to bowl well since the surgery. I’ve had a lot of gutter balls since the surgery, too that are annoying and kind of embarrassing. I can see that happening if I’m aiming for just one pin, but it happens too often in a first throw at all 10. That didn’t happen before surgery. :blackcloud:

But things went well today!:happydance:
 
I miss bowling. I haven't bowled since 2014, prior to my RTKR. I was going to start up again after my RTKR, but they closed the bowling alley (it's been torn down to put up a housing project ) . It's kind of sad, that bowling alley was there for years. We bowled there when we were kids!! They now bowl at the 2nd bowling center in town, which has been totally remodeled, but I can't bowl on Wednesdays, as that is my Bible study night. Hopefully, one day I'll find a league on a different night.
 
I live in a 55+ community so we have a league. It’s amazing how well some of these 80+ year young people bowl!
 
Some of the ladies who bowled in my former league were in their 80s too. They could really kick some butt too, lol!!
 
We have a good time together! At 62 I’m one of the youngest ones here. The older ladies call me Honey. It’s like they’re all my mom.
 
Sounds like a fun group to be around. I don't have those kinds of hobbies. But I do like to garden which I haven't been able to do for three years now.
Hopefully someday I can get back to some sort of gardening, such as a raised garden, and I would like to grow vegetables and still have some of My favorite flowers.
I love plant life and find a lot of joy looking at it, touching it, smelling it and harvesting from it.
I would really like to be able to go on a hike and enjoy the outdoors. I am counting on being able to do it at least in some capacity, in my future.
 
I had beautiful container plants/flowers on my deck in Ohio, which was more shade than sun, but I can’t grow hardly anything here in Delaware. This house has no shade. I’ve lived in the woods since 1987, so moving to this house in 2015 with zero shade was culture shock! However my neighbors have beautiful flowers. I must have lost my touch. :boohoo:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom