Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

Your surgeon sounds wonderful . My surgeon is very personable and always answers my questions but I have to seek him out. I think calling like that is fantastic.
 
Unbelievably amazing! What a blessing you have in having a doctor with these ethics!
 
Awesome news re: your new surgeon. You can always check with the dietician who is supervising your special diet to see if there are any adaptations he/she recommends to make sure you're getting the optimal nutrients in the healing stage.
 
Today I received the ORTHOPEDIC ANALYSIS Metal-LTT Analysis Report done on 8/16/2018.
It really has a lot of conflicting information as to what I am allergic to. It now says I am "mildly allergic" to NICKEL and NOT "mildly allergic" to Bone Cement. It appears my reaction to Bone Cement is "normal" which is a good thing! It does not show that I reacted to COBALT like the Patch Testing done by my allergist on July 9, 11, and 13th, 2018. So confusing. My previous ORTHOPEDIC ANALYSIS Metal-LTT Analysis Report done on 9/26/2016, shows I was "mildly reactive" to bone cement monomer with a 2.0 reaction and Cobalt was close at 1.8. No reaction to NICKEL!
The Allergy Patch testing did not show I reacted to bone cement or nickel. I hope DR. Kreuzer can make sense out of these conflicting reports.

My surgery has been rescheduled for Oct. 3rd (Weds) because we need that time to get out sweet dog boarded.
I found out today that Dr. Kreuzer saves his revisions for last. That means a 1pm or later time for surgery. He usually does 10 surgeries a day on surgery days! I don't do well waiting when I have to have surgery late in the day. :thud::shrug::bawl::groan:
@Josephine, can you make any sense of the conflicting reports to what I am allergic to? The Nickel is now a 2.7...anything over a 2 is reactive. How do you feel about surgeons waiting until the afternoon for their revision surgeries? I am at least requesting to be his first revision of the afternoon. He knows how to pace himself, I have been told. I guess I will go with blind faith in his judgement. Getting anxious.
 
Last edited:
Perhaps the OS wants to leave lots of time (in case he needs it) for the more complicated surgeries by putting them last. He'll certainly be "warmed up." :)
 
Do any of you have the Tempurpedic bed that is adjustable? I have one that raises the head but not the feet/legs. I see where becticu wrote @jboles, yes I love the Tempurpedic bed. I was elevated anytime I was in bed with toes above nose on my first surgery. It has affected the herniated disks at L4, L5, and S1 though it bothers my back if I stay elevated too long. I can only stay elevated so long. I little lower is more comfortable. I think this was in 2017. I am considering this type of bed but I also have back issues at L4, L5, and S1. Would it be worth the money?
 
I have an adjustable bed and my knee prefers my foam wedge, go figure!

I use my wedge and elevate the head of the bed just a little, enough to take the pressure off my lower back.

If you like the bed you have, you’ll be fine with it.
 
I have a regular tempurpedic bed. I love my bed.My SIL has an adjustable, she loves it. I is only worth the money for long term sleep enjoyment.
 
@Jockette, thanks for your response. I have a bed that I can elevate the head and have used the wedge before with my first LTKR. That works. Just wondered about the bed that elevates the legs/feet. Those memories are starting to come back how I would ask my husband to bring the wedge to the living room couch because I could not do it well with the walker too. :elevate: Still trying to decide on a Donjoy ice machine vs the frozen ice compress. I already have 4 ice compresses. They don't last long and I was always asking my husband to get me a new one....but they work! :ice:Also, to wear the TED hose or not???
 
I was last when my revision was done. My surgeon wanted me last since he didn't know exactly what he was planning to do, and wanted to have plenty of time. I reported to the hospital at 10:00 am, so I stayed up very late and had a bagel and orange juice about 11:30 pm so could deal with the morning better. My surgery didn't start until after 2 pm, and the doctor didn't talk to my husband until 6:30 pm, so it was a long day for him. I think they have more stamina than we give them credit. Good luck!
 
I am looking into the Breg V Pulse ice machine. It is so expensive, $610. What is the procedure for getting insurance to cover it? I know my OS will write a prescription for it.....do I send the prescription into the company that makes it and they file with my insurance? Or does one just order it and then have the company reimburse me once they get the prescription and file with my insurance? Should I have it ready to take to the hospital after surgery or keep it at home? I remember after my LTKR, it was a joke as far as icing my knee in the hospital.....like NO ice compresses that stayed cold. I have decided I am not excited about this upcoming revision. It will be one month from today and hopefully I will be at least in recovery by this time next month! :dubious:
 
I would speak to my ins. company first to find out what they cover, and what the limit on price is, if any. I also wouldn't take it to the hospital due to germ issues, and all the staff that would be handling it and could potentially harm it. They may or may not allow you to bring a privately owned machine in, but I still wouldn't.
 
@Cementless I do have the Tempurpedic adjustable bed and I did use it during both recoveries. I think the wedge does just as good though. Sometimes if I was just resting during the day I used the wedge instead of raising the foot of the bed, my cat stayed by my side while I was recovering and I was always worried that she she would get under the bed and I wouldn't be aware of it and she would get hurt. I know that's probably silly, but that's how I felt. As for the ice machine vs ice packs. I used ice packs while I was in the living room in my recliner and I used the ice machine at night. It would stay cold almost all night and I didn't have to try and secure the ice packs to my knee.
 
I too have an adjustable bed but just used the wedge. I'd adjust the head for sitting up during the day. The wedge just felt more comfortable than using the bed with the foot elevated.

Definitely consult with your insurance company. They will tell you how to handle anything on your end.

And don't take your machine to the hospital for the reasons already pointed out, especially the possibility of contamination. You might be given a machine in the hospital, though, if ordered by your doctor and covered by insurance.
 
I called the company that makes the Breg V Pulse and they said they do not take insurance but if the OS writes a prescription for it and writes why I need it, the price goes from $610 to $205! That is very doable.
Thanks for all the advice and I will not take it to the hospital. :egypdance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom