Guest viewing is limited

TKR Partial Replacement 10/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I am again! Stopped the Norco and still have nausea. Called the after hours number told them I was still having nausea and another doctor called in Zofran. He said it was common what I was going through. He told me to call my dr in the am if I still had problems. Why is it common? I have the narcotic out of my system? I should have asked him but I felt so bad. Please excuse any errors in this posting.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The nausea sounds grim. Poor you! Hope you are soon feeling much better.:flwrysmile:
 
you're probably not eating much and your stomach is probably pretty sensitive. I hope the zofran helps. I don't know how much your recliner reclines, but you might add a pillow or two under your leg while you're in the recliner. I did that for several weeks. If you have a couch or even in bed with a system of pillows you can probably get even better elevation.
 
Yes, in the early days, your appetite is diminished, so you may not have food in your stomach---and it may take some time for all for he narcotic to leave your system, as well as for your body to recover from how it felt due to the reaction.
 
@Azeela I hope today finds you feeling better and sleep isn't as difficult to obtain. I dread going to sleep myself. My knee feels like it dislocates or has a spasm of some sort every time I start to drift into a deep sleep. Then the pain is so severe I'm woken by a flash of white (behind my closed eyes) and excruciating pain that radiates across the top of my knee cap. I am already crying/yelling out loud by the time I become fully awake. The pain subsides about 20 minutes after the onset. Then it usually occurs again the next time I allow myself to drift off. I'm afraid to fall into a deep sleep anymore. Has this happened to you? Anyone else? Any thoughts? I am presenlty 10 days post-op & my Dr. only permits 1 Hydrocodone 7.25-325MG & nausea pill every 6hrs and an Ultram pill every 6hrs. Finally the pain during the day, during PT, etc. is manageable with consistent icing, stretching, resting.
It's the knee cap spasm/dislocating feeling that is at the top of the Pain Management list at this stage of my recovery.
 
@Azeela I can identify with your nausea problem. I was shocked to find that I felt sick for days after my PKR, it was something I wasn't prepared for. Luckily, mine was relatively short lived. Hang in there, things will get better.
 
Hi! Had a left partial on 10/13/14, so we're close to same point. I too had problems with Norco. Tried Tramadol, but it didn't make a dent in the pain, so I went back to Norco. I found that eating a few saltines directly before and after the pill seemed to help. The nausea was almost like morning sickness. I haven't had much appetite either, but when I cut back from the prescribed 2 pills to 1, I was better. I was told the drug stays in system for a few days. I'm on last script for this, so I guess I'll be using Tylenol. How are you doing with walking and such?
 
I appreciate everyone's support and comments. I am having trouble signing into the site. This seem to be the only way I can reply or I can send an email. But anyway to all who replied thank you so much. Still some stomach issues but not as severe, pain is better and had my second therapy session.like my therapist Amy. I am still not at the point where I can say "I'm glad I did it" but I will believe what you all say that it will come. Well wishes to all!! The journey continues!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@forever39 I am walking with a cane. I cane walk without it a bit but I don't want to fall. I will start the recumbent bike on Tuesday in Therapy.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@billingcl no spasms yet just horrible stiffness. I pray you have gotten pass that. Take care and thanks .


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It will be 5 weeks tomorrow! The nausea and gas is finally gone with the help omeprazole. I can finally take tramadol for pain when I need it. Therapy is rough but I am hanging in there. I have a way to go but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I don't think I will return to work as soon as I thought I would. I thought I would go back at 6 weeks but I am thinking I may need more time. How long are the rest of you taking off work? I work at a hospital mostly at a desk but I do have to walk long distances and I work 40 hours a week.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Azeela, I work in a hospital, too. My OS authorized 12 weeks off, and it looks like I'll need every minute. Take care, and try to get the time you need!
 
Hi @Azeela you're working so hard, hang in there.

I found Zofran to be my saving grace. I couldn't keep any food down while taking oxycodone. When my doctor finally called in an Rx for Zofran, I was finally able to eat and relax without feeling nauseated.

I'm almost 2 weeks post-op from my PKR. My bruising is starting to turn yellow and the swelling is finally going down. Pain control has been a challenge though, as I hate the way the pain meds make me feel. I made a switch to tramadol, which has help tremendously. For me the side effects aren't as bad and the pain relief is just as good.

Just keep your eyes on the prize and keep working hard. You'll get where you wanna be.
 
Again I am back with a question. I have been in outpatient therapy since week 3. I am not sure about some of the things the therapist does to me. I have great bend but I still need to work on straightening my knee. She massages my knees which hurts a little and then puts a weight on my knee for 5 min. That is a bit uncomfortable. Then if my knee is not straight enough she will push on it 3 times really hard. I feel like it is going to break in half. She has done this twice. Then I do my other exercises with the ball, treadmill, and light weights. I see my doctor before I see her again and I am wondering if I should talk to him about this. Am I being a baby and is the pushing normal?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Is the pushing normal?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@referee54 is the pushing down on the knee by the PT normal?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Then if my knee is not straight enough she will push on it 3 times really hard. I feel like it is going to break in half. She has done this twice. Then I do my other exercises with the ball, treadmill, and light weights. I see my doctor before I see her again and I am wondering if I should talk to him about this. Am I being a baby and is the pushing normal?

No, it's not normal and she shouldn't be doing it.

Tell her to stop. Don't allow it.
 
Then if my knee is not straight enough she will push on it 3 times really hard. I feel like it is going to break in half.

Yikes! My PT was doing this as well, and I couldn't function for a good 36 hours after he did it. Seriously, I'd go in feeling good, and struggle back out in absolute agony. I finally told him that I couldn't do it anymore, it hurt too badly, and just worrying about it took up way too much mental real estate. Besides. it wasn't doing me any good, so... Why? (Turns out my knee probably wasn't straight to begin with, my other knee is at -3 and will have to be replaced eventually as well.)

I'm also going back to work tomorrow, and it's been 12 weeks. At first I thought that was crazy, and I wasn't going to need that much time; but y'know? I'm really glad I had it. If you can take a bit more time, you'll probably be more comfortable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom