PKR partial knee replacement x2, swelling<<

Oh I see - but still no difference.
not sure what this comment was in reference to. Josephine.

But as far as the healing process yeah there has been a lot of difference since the beginning. I am able to do more. My ROM is definatel better left hosp at -7 extension and 87 flexion as of mondays PT visit i was 0 extension and 105 flexion, so doing good i think

Now going out monday for a doctor visit, took alot out of me, and i didnt want to move around much yesterday, but made myself move around as much as i could. This morning im feeling better so hoping my PT visit today goes well.
 
Your flexion is great for this stage! The extension will come--I didn't have an extension issue--in fact my knee was too loose before surgery so it got to normal with it. But there are lots of people here who had it take time to get to 0 on the extension and they'll be supporting you and giving you tips on that front.
 
Your flexion is great for this stage! The extension will come--I didn't have an extension issue--in fact my knee was too loose before surgery so it got to normal with it. But there are lots of people here who had it take time to get to 0 on the extension and they'll be supporting you and giving you tips on that front.

My understanding from PT is that 0 extension is what i want, that this means i am a full extension, straightening my leg. And that a 130 to 135 Flexion is what I am going for for full Flexion. If I am wrong please let me know.
 
ok after PT and I completed exercises and did measurements Extension is still 0, and Flexion was 104. One of my exercises is laying on my back and bring my foot to my rear to work on Flexion. Monday I was measured at 97 Flexion and today I got to 105.

I started doing some stand up exercises using my walker to make sure i stay stable doing them on monday, added one more today she has me do 5 to 15 reps as long as it not causing any pain. And started practicing using a cane today. What fun with that, took five steps and stub my toes on the cane. Had cane on my left side, same side as the PKR, I feel unsteady doing this. After stubbing toe on left foot i started using cane with right hand, that felt more steady. Im thinking it worked out like that because i am right handed. will see how this goes over the next two weeks.
 
As you've discovered, it is much easier to use the cane in the hand on the opposite side to your knee replacement. Somehow, that makes you walk in a much more balanced way - that's the way that is usually recommended.
 
Cane is used on the opposite side to give the best support. Ask your PT to show you proper cane technique.

I can give you a reason why elevating seems to hurt more. When your leg is swollen and you elevate it, you are draining out the fluids. Gravity is pulling the fluids downward. The higher the elevation, the more pressure the cells put on each other as the fluid tries to flow back out of the leg. The more my leg was swollen, the more burning my leg felt with higher elevations. So when my leg was more swollen, I would take a Tylenol and ice it up well, in order to counteract the burning as the swelling went down. But with continued elevation, you should feel less pain.

My tip is to elevate all night, while you are sleeping. That way, your leg starts off less swollen, and it will hurt less as you elevate it during the day.
 
Elevate above your heart and ice! Relax and breathe... It is a slow recovery, but it does get better. The first thing is to get the swelling down. Focus on that. Stretch it and bend it often but never to the point of pain. Give it time to settle down. Good luck!


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
Oh sorry ... You know all this already. Your first post showed up for me today... Now I see them all.


Right knee arthroscopy Feb 16 2015 TRKR Oct. 26 Rtkr.
Hematoma- result of Zarelto from 10/29/2015
 
Now going out monday for a doctor visit, took alot out of me, and i didnt want to move around much yesterday,
Remember, while it has been some time since your TKR, stamina is one of the last aspects to return. What seemed rather easy pre-TKR will take some time and energy now---for a while.

And that a 130 to 135 Flexion is what I am going for for full Flexion. If I am wrong please let me know.
I think my ROM is about 130. I don't really care, as I can do whatever I want to do and without pain---that is the important feature.

You can aim for 130-135, and I hope that you are able to achieve that. However, in reality, there are many factors that dictate what your final ROM is, and it really is not totally up to you.

While I cannot get into a true catcher's squat like I did years ago, my ROM is certainly sufficient enough for me to do whatever I want to do. I umpire and get into my stance without an issue. Let the PT folks worry about #'s---they are a very quantitative lot. As long as you can do what you want and do it pain free---your quality of life is what matters most.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
ok after PT and I completed exercises and did measurements Extension is still 0, and Flexion was 104. One of my exercises is laying on my back and bring my foot to my rear to work on Flexion. Monday I was measured at 97 Flexion and today I got to 105.
.
Great--I missed that you were at zero--I saw the earlier number. See, you're getting there.
 
130 to 135 Flexion is what I am going for for full Flexion.

My 2nd knee surgery was a few days after yours. That is a decent number to shoot for. I am at 135 for my 1st knee (done 6 months ago). My suggestion is to not worry about bending until you are about 5 weeks or so out. You've already got the leg straight (which I struggle with). Once the knee is healed more, then it becomes easier to work on bend. I am not sure about how flexible you were before surgery, but I can give you a tip on getting bend (once you are further along...do NOT do this now). Once you can control your leg well (can lift easily, no weakness when you walk, can control bending), and if you have enough hip flexibility, then you can try the following (I would not do this before you are at least 5 weeks out, and check with your PT beforehand):

Lay down on the bed.
Lift your leg till it is pointing at the ceiling.
Gently and slowly bend the leg at the knee, lowering your foot towards your butt.
Relax and leg gravity pull your foot down, increasing the bend.
Only hold for a few seconds in the bent position. You should feel tension, but not pain.
If it hurts, raise your foot so that the leg is straight and pointing toward the ceiling again.
Repeat maybe 5 times.

You can do this on and off while watching TV throughout the day. I hated the strap pull, so I invented my own exercise to get bend. I gained 5 degrees per week by doing this. I was doing PT 2 to 3 times per week, and this was the bending exercise I did at home (after at least 5 weeks post op--reminder, do not do this in the early stages of healing, and check with your PT to get clearance to do this). However, as my PT likes to point out, I was able to touch my toes before the knee surgery, and I am more flexible than most. Remember, that you will get bend faster after the first month-- so don't worry about it too much right now. Swelling interferes a lot the first month. And you have more time to get bend, so it isn't a race.

I had more bend before surgery, by my surgeon showed me why too much bend was bad for the artificial knee, so I stopped trying to go past 135. I believe anything over 120 is considered good.
 
I had more bend before surgery, by my surgeon showed me why too much bend was bad for the artificial knee, so I stopped trying to go past 135. I believe anything over 120 is considered good.

My extension and flexion were worse before surgery so left knee is all ready better than that. For the number i stated was the goal range was what they told me was the eventual target range for when i was fully healed down the road not for like week one or two. Im just happy that im doing so well because i have the next knee surgery on feb 3 for the right knee. and hoping to be able to deal with having to work both
 
My regular PT didnt show today, it was and different lady and this one is a mean one. Complained that my regular PT was to conservative. She said on my flexion should be somewhere between 110 to 120, and that as an example she had a lady a week out of surgery and still had staples in was at 108 flexion. Safe to say she didnt stay long. And i ended up doing one stretch that caused a sharp pain in my knee, that 30 minutes later im still hurting
 
You don't have to do what a mean PT says. Speak up for your knee and don't let anyone hurt it.
 
You don't have to do what a mean PT says. Speak up for your knee and don't let anyone hurt it.

believe me i did, and we didnt do much. she may be back on the 20th, and ill refuse to do what she wants me to do. Im making progess doing what i was and not being in pain, ill shouldnt have to be in pain and i shouldnt have to increase my pain meds because of the physical therapy
 
Well done, you! You're in charge. Well, actually, your knee is in charge.
Listen to the knee and it will tell you how much is enough and how much is too much.

You're correct that you shouldn't increase your pain meds because of therapy. If you did that, you would be masking the pain that is a warning sign.
 
im at 4 weeks out i have come up with a problem, but not with my knee per say. over the last 4 days or so, all i want to do is sleep or eat. Both in my opinion excessively
 
Your body is telling you it needs sleep, and it also needs food/fuel in order to heal. Go with it!
Try to make sure you eat a good diet, but I don't think you need to worry about feeling hungry.
 
I'm for going what your body tells you at this stage. Celle advice is right on the money. At 4 weeks you are doing very well but you're are still very much in the early stages of recovery. Taking it easy now, slowly and steadily will pay off later on. Look on it as money in the bank for later when you can do exactly what you want to do and as you have surgery coming up again, you definitely need to conserve your energy.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom