Guest viewing is limited

PKR partial knee replacement x2, swelling<<

Everyone's recovery is so different. At this point in your recovery, you are not experiencing anything unusual. I found that I would make one step forward one day and then then next 2 steps back. It was very depressing at the time. Then all of a sudden, it occurred to me that I was really much better than I was a few weeks previous. It was a much slower recovery than I expected, but well worth it. I know you're anxious to get back to work. I have a job which requires a lot of walking and time on my feet (teacher assistant) and I went back to work at 3 months post op. I really wish I had waited another month, because that first month back was very hard. Your experience may be very different than mine, however.
 
After spending most of saturday and sunday in bed and not moving around too much, i did more walking around on monday and did some excerises with my PT, who if somethng really hurts she has me do a smaller amount, or i should say dont do more than i can without causing pain. This one doesnt like the excercise plan i came home with that wanted me to do repetitions of 10 3 x a day, she says that thats too much to do.

Saturday was the last day i ice my knee and except for bedtime when i elevate my foot, i havent elevated my leg as much. And my swellng has gone down until late at night about t 8 to 9pm just before i go to bed. Dont understand why its happening the way it is, but it is. and im feeling much better and walking more.

Come thursday, i get my zipline removed, and hoping more of the stiffness will gone as well will post a new pic of my scar after removal. i actually watched a video about how they use the zipline and it was interesting. All i can say is im glad i was knocked out when they did it, the way the bent the knee lol

So im glad i was able to post something more positive than what i have been posting
 
I am glad you are feeling more positive and feel your knee is improving. Your new physio sounds much more sensible . Best wishes.
I walked 8 miles on snowy paths in Austria today on my year old PKR! No pain at all with my new knee. You'll be feeling just as good this time next year :hiking:
 
What is a zipline?
 
What is a zipline?

Zipline is what they used to close up my incision after surgery. Instead of using sutures or staples. I posted a picture of it under the scar thread. If you google zipline medical you can find the company that makes it and the uses for it. and they have a video of how it applied to close up the wound. was very interesting, but also made me wince in pain at one point and made me very glad i was under anesthesia. will post a picture tomorrow after they remove the zipline.

If you know what a zip tie is, thats the basic principal behind the zipline, like i said very interesting
 
Saturday was the last day i ice my knee and except for bedtime when i elevate my foot, i havent elevated my leg as much. And my swelling has gone down until late at night about t 8 to 9pm just before i go to bed.
But why? Icing and elevating your knee is still a good way to rest it and to control pain, even when you can't see any swelling and don't have much pain.
I was still icing my knee at 4 months, if I had a busy day.
 
But why? Icing and elevating your knee is still a good way to rest it and to control pain, even when you can't see any swelling and don't have much pain.
I was still icing my knee at 4 months, if I had a busy day.
the reason was when i elevate and ice, i have more swelling and pain, than if i dont do it. Believe me i dont understand why its working out that way but it is. if i leave sit normally in a chair with feet on the floor and dont ice i just have a small amount of swelling and pain. If i elevate and ice wether in my recliner or in bed, i end up with more pain and swelling. I am doing the opposite of conventional thought.

as of today, my pain level is about a 2 to 3 if im walking with walker or doing exercises if im sitting in recliner or sittig on edge of bed im at 0 to 1 more on the 0 side of it. and today on my ROM i hit 0 on straightening my knee and on Flexion im at 97 so doing good on that as well.
 
Doing good today, still hitting 0 on extensions and hit 105 on flexion. pain level the last couple of days has been 0 to 1 sitting and maybe hit a two when walking or doing a little bit on physical therapy. Still having issues with swelling but alot of redness with it so, going to doctors today to look at it. Wife is worried that it might be an infection. Will see how things go getting into and out of truck. should be ok
 
I'm glad you're getting that redness looked at.

However, it's quite normal to still have swelling, which can linger for months - and it's stillonly about 3 weeks since you had your surgery.

I really do think you need to find a way of elevating your leg properly. Now that the surgery is done, it won't lock up like it used to.
 
I really do think you need to find a way of elevating your leg properly. Now that the surgery is done, it won't lock up like it used to.
Its not that i havent elevated my leg properly, but my body for some reason goes against conventional thinking on icing and elevating, the swelling and pain gets worse when i do it, and the swelling and pain goes down if i dont ice and sit normally with feet on the ground.

That being said i bought a new pillow specially made for elevating ones leg, and compression stockings today when i left to go to doctors appt.

Ended up spending 2 1/2 hours at doctors office. Because of my history with DVT's and Staff infections, the doctor order a ultrasound to be done to check for a DVT, if that comes back as no DVT (which im hoping for, cause if i have one that would cancel my next surgery on Feb 3) then he will put me on a antibiotic just to be on the safe side because of my history with staff infections.

With this being the first time out of the house since my surgery, it felt good to get out. Was able to get into and out of my truck with no issues, but I can see that when i go see my OS, my knee will be hurting when i get there, it is a 2 hour drive to my OS. But once i got to the GP's office today, i ended up doing alot of walking that caused my knee to start hurting more than it has in days, and i ended up in a wheelchair for a little bit, was worried about my knee giving out and falling. Better safe and than sorry.

Now that I am home and have dinner out of the way, and decided to go to bed early. Im icing my knee and will elevate for for the night. Then in the morning im going to use the compression socks that i bought. Hopefully i will get a decent nights sleep tonight and things will be feeling better tormorrow.
 
When I elevated my knee, I couldn't do it comfortably at first in the way shown on here so I worked out a way of just sleeping with both legs on a long pillow that was just a little higher than my head. It worked well and I could get comfy but the three pillow one made my leg ache. Later on I could get my leg higher more comfortably. We are all different. But I couldn't sit long with leg down!

Hope your ultrasound is fine and you are feeling ok today.
 
used the new leg cushion i bought yesterday and iced my knee last night when i went to bed. A few hours in, i removed the ice from my knee but continued with the elevation of my knee till about 4 am this morning when i got up for the day. The swelling has gone down alot this time. waited tilll my wife gor up at 5:30 to put on compression socks, now to see how well they do for me. Dont know why, but seems to have a cooling affect dont know if that is in my head or not.
 
When I elevated my knee, I couldn't do it comfortably at first in the way shown on here so I worked out a way of just sleeping with both legs on a long pillow that was just a little higher than my head. It worked well and I could get comfy but the three pillow one made my leg ache. Later on I could get my leg higher more comfortably. We are all different. But I couldn't sit long with leg down!
Yeah same here except it hurts to elevate all the time when i elevate my legs even if i put a slight bend to my knee. but getting better i have been able to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs to keep pressure off my knee. I can sit all day with my legs down and not have any pain issues, and minimal swelling issues.

Hoping to hear from the doctor this morning,
 
I think everyday you will begin to see some little improvements. It takes a long time this recovery but take it slowly and it will be worth it in the end.

Let's hope your doctor has good news for you.

You are doing really well with ROM and extension. My doctor and the physio, who I only saw twice in my whole recovery, both told me that extension was now thought to be much more important to a full recovery than ROM because that will come gradually. So you are doing brilliantly.
 
I was going to recommend the leave share program if you needed the time(I used to be a fed employee). I am confused on why they are so determined for you to keep your leg straight. I had to do that with the tendon repair and infection and that was miserable. With the TKR they were all about bending it. Is a partial different?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to hear the new cushion is working out for you.
 
I was going to recommend the leave share program if you needed the time(I used to be a fed employee). I am confused on why they are so determined for you to keep your leg straight. I had to do that with the tendon repair and infection and that was miserable. With the TKR they were all about bending it. Is a partial different?

I did apply for the leave share program. But applying and receiving any donated leave are different things. I applied 6 years ago while dealing with, DVT and PE's and Colon Cancer, was out for 4 months, i received only 1 day of donated leave. So I am not counting on it,

As for keeping the leg straight, it was more the original PT that said it, havent seen my surgeon yet since surgery will see him on the 25th of Jan. The PT that has actually worked with me is actually doing good, she only has me doing my excersise reps as long as it doesnt hurt. she will ask me to do 10 but if i can only do 5 without pain, then I only do five. I only have 3 more in home visits left before i go and have the right knee done, then i will get another 4 weeks of in home PT, then i will get normal PT somewhere else

Let's hope your doctor has good news for you.

Just received call from my GP, no blood clots, so he is calling in a prescription for a antibiotic just in case the redness is sign of infection. With my history of staph infection in my left leg (PKR is left knee) this is just a precaution, almost lost my left leg 10 to 12 years ago from a staff infection. Dont want to do that again.
 
With the TKR they were all about bending it. Is a partial different?
No a partial is no different from a total. But the focus is on ROM rather than just bending. That means flexion and extension.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom