Guest viewing is limited

PKR Partial knee replacement help

I think you do maybe need to be a little kinder to yourself - this knee business is a big deal! Keeping on top of your pain may help you to sleep and will certainly enable you to mobilise better. I got myself into a right state because I thought I was tough enough to wean myself off meds. Really didn`t work! Instead I found that I weaned myself almost by default - I kept forgetting to take a dose!

If I knew then what I know now I almost certainly would have wimped out of having the op at this stage, wuss that I am!

Yes I've taken less meds . Think this maybe my issue. Probably need to stay on them longer it is only 3 weeks. I cut down on Codiene I was worried about taking so many drugs! But I can't stand the pain at times. Your not a wuss you had the op!
I've had lots of tears today. I have suggested that my daughter granddaughter and I pop out to the local pub restaurant tonight for an hour! I think I need a change of scenery. Lol



Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
If you have to go back to work so early then you will need to do nothing at all for the rest of the day. You will have to come right home and ice and elevate. Save anything else you need to do to your days off.

I won't go back so early . I've listened to others on here . I'm still not very mobile it's too soon .


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
We usually recommend not going back to work until about 12 weeks and then a Phased return to work

You might be able to adjust your style of teaching, so that you can sit for longer, but you will find that you still put a lot of stress on your new knee.

Thank you for your valued advice . I will prepare my work now. I will stop worrying and heal in my own time .


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Please, if you have prescribed meds, take them to schedule. If over-the-counter, take them as directed on the packet. Don't endure pain. It's not addictive if it's for pain.
Thanks Roy . I was prescribed 6 codeine 30mg by hospital. 2 every 6 hours. Plus 8 paracetamol and 3 ibuprofen daily. I asked gp for codeine he suggested 4 four times a day. This is what I have cut down too. So therefore I cut down by 2 codiene a day. It's 3 weeks since op. Maybe I should up the Codiene dose?
I am not qualified to give you direct medical advice; what I have suggested is not to try and cut down painkillers on your own. If your doctor gives a prescription, or suggests a dosage, follow that and don't take less. If you feel that you need more relief, please go back to your doctor.

The BoneSmart idea is not to endure pain when you don't have to, it's counterproductive.
I will stop worrying and heal in my own time .
:thumb:
 
I've had lots of tears today. I have suggested that my daughter granddaughter and I pop out to the local pub restaurant tonight for an hour! I think I need a change of scenery. Lol

Aw, lovely, I think a change of scenery will do you the world of good! And a good meal and cheeky vino or G & T will not affect your meds but may effect your affect!
 
I was a first grade teacher (6-7 yr olds) at the time of my TKR. My OS recommended 12 weeks, but I thought I could do it in 8 weeks. I went back to my classroom part time, (mornings only) exactly 12 weeks after surgery and full time 6 weeks later. I did have a complication which is probably why I went back part time, the energy drain was still there after two surgeries in one month. If you are able to go back part time first I definitely recommend it. I was able to go home in the afternoons to rest, ice and elevate. I did force myself to leave everyday at 11:45, it would've been easy to stay and get work done.

Thanks Karri for your advice. It's great to talk to others about their experience it is really helpful. At present I do not have much energy either I now know it is unrealistic to even consider returning to work at 6 weeks. I will not left my job pressurise me into going back too soon. Wishing you well too .



Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I cut down on the pain meds only when I noticed it was hours past my usual dosage time and I didn't notice any additional pain or discomfort.
 
Aw, lovely, I think a change of scenery will do you the world of good! And a good meal and cheeky vino or G & T will not affect your meds but may effect your affect!

Hahaha yes I was thinking exactly that!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I cut down on the pain meds only when I noticed it was hours past my usual dosage time and I didn't notice any additional pain or discomfort.

Okay thank you . At the minute I'm counting mins to next 4 hours . I'm on. A lesser dose than in the hospital . Sometimes feel in the night I want to take an extra pill.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Can you tell us your exact surgery date so we can make a signature for you?
 
Can you tell us your exact surgery date so we can make a signature for you?

My surgery date was 10th January 2017 thank you


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Deb, did you get out to the pub last night? :cheers:

I did I had a lovely homemade pie veg and mash. Washed down with a glass of Malbeck and I had a good nights sleep! I woke only 3 times. I had a laugh too. I walked about in restaurant and even did some stretches , I took and ice pack I was out for 2 hours. It was a tonic! I will repeat this definitely x


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Yay - go girl! :yes!: There`s nothing like getting out of the house and down to the pub for giving you a bit of a tonic. I just like to add gin to mine! So pleased you had a good time - and had a good night`s sleep! Sounds like you need a regular prescription for Malbeck and good company!
 
Yay - go girl! :yes!: There`s nothing like getting out of the house and down to the pub for giving you a bit of a tonic. I just like to add gin to mine! So pleased you had a good time - and had a good night`s sleep! Sounds like you need a regular prescription for Malbeck and good company!

Haha certainly was a good tonic all round . I'm partial too a G and T too maybe next time !


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom