Guest viewing is limited

PKR Partial Knee post op<

4weeks post op today. Some observations: my suture line looks great but the puncture wounds from the robotics insertion make me look like I was attacked by a shark... so I’m running with that story:loll:
ROM is good, just some stiffness that’s limiting. Climbing stairs like a big girl, still descending like a toddler. Sometimes I forget and lead with my good leg going down. That’s not a good thing! Thank goodness for railings!
Twinges of discomfort here and there but nothing terrible. In and out of car less challenging at this point too.
All in all I’m ok with how things are progressing. I’m looking forward to being able to return to Yoga st some point. I’m a yoga instructor and I miss my tribe...
I hope everyone is progressing in a way that suits you. I don’t see my surgeon until the last week of June.
Onward we go. Have a peaceful day...
 
@Smythe89, sounds like you are progressing quite well! From what you’ve described, you are exactly where I was at 4 wks (I am at 8 wks officially today). Going down stairs may continue to be a challenge for a while. I never had any issues with the joint prosthetic, but did have issues with underlying scar tissue to the medial side of my knee that was still quite inflamed and sensitive. This weekend was the first time I was able to go down steps with little to no pain. It gets better each day so just keep the faith. :angel:

NG
 
Twinges of discomfort are good! I mean, it's normal and expected and you're right on track with the stairs still being a work in progress. Forgetting which knee to lead with is a common misstep... or is it? It's how we find out if the new knee is "there" yet. :) I had both knees done at the same time, and only operated knees to use, and yes the "better" knee was a little happier doing the job, but it was never in danger. Next thing you know, you'll be forgetting and not realize it until you're down a few steps. :egypdance:
 
So here’s the one step forward two steps back thing. I started have pain...like say ouch pain...a couple of days ago. I’ve been running around like a crazy lady, packing up our house, attending inspection on new house, up and down stairs etc. Had PT on Tuesday. Wednesday my knee swelled again, stiffness increased and I found it was painful to straighten. Went to PT yesterday and didn’t do anything other than the bike. While peddling I place my finger on the area where the pain was and felt what I can only describe as crepitus although that’s not possible since it is over the medial compartment where I have the implant. PT says it’s fluid squishing between the 2 components and is attributing it to breaking of scar tissue and subsequent edema.
Walking is still fine, stairs are the same but after sitting with knee flexed, to straighten it is really an ouch moment. :gaah:So, icing again, continue with anti inflammatory meds and slow the heck down. That’s the pain.
 
This kind of thing is why early recovery is such a chore. :bored: You’re doing good, maybe even great, and start running around, even if not like a crazy lady, and packing up stuff, even if not entire houses, and just doing things like you reasonably think a normal person should be able to do... and the knee says it’s too much. So the knee gets inflamed again, and it swells, and it hurts. And so you have to take a few steps back and rest it, ice it, elevate it... you know the drill. Call it a reality check.

The fluid is the swelling caused by the inflammation caused by doing too much.

As you’ve correctly diagnosed, you joined the OverDidIt Club (the ODIC). Welcome! It’s really easy to join. :console2:
 
Oh, you're definitely a member of the ODIC. That's not a fun place to be! The knee will always be boss, no matter how much you try and take over the job. Nope, it's not gonna happen! Now you need to rest that infant knee of yours along with elevating and icing!
 
So here’s the one step forward two steps back thing. I started have pain...like say ouch pain...a couple of days ago. I’ve been running around like a crazy lady, packing up our house, attending inspection on new house, up and down stairs etc. Had PT on Tuesday. Wednesday my knee swelled again, stiffness increased and I found it was painful to straighten.
Do you see cause and effect here?
Too much activity = increased pain, inflammation, swelling and stiffness.

Since you have to do what is needed for moving, can I suggest you cut out the PT? Your knee is getting more than enough exercise without it.
 
My last PT is tomorrow. My goal was to be able to walk downstairs normally and as of last night I have reached my goal. I continue to ice and elevate. Swelling comes and goes. I’m 5 weeKs P.O. now. Pain is minimal and situational. I do wonder if I’ll ever be totally pain free. I can’t remember what that was like:chinstroke:
Good thing I’m so distracted by this packing and moving process!
 
Yay for doing stairs!

Take care of yourself while in this moving process. I moved a few years ago and it knocked my socks off, I can’t imagine moving so soon after knee replacement!
 
Just had my 6 week post op with x-rays. I don’t have to go back for a year! No restrictions. Life is good. Now if I could only get back to walking and yoga... to be continued!

Thank you for all your support. God Bless and happy summer!
 
Congratulation on a good post-op appointment. :yes!: :happydance: :flwrysmile:

As time passes, you'll gradually get back to both walking and yoga. Take it slow, and don't try to rush into them.
Remember to listen to your knee and tailor your activity to how it reacts.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Partial Knee post op<
So, everything is coming along. Down stairs is still iffy so I definitely need to hold a railing. But...my scars look terrible! The robotic placement scars are worse than my incision. When will these begin to lighten up. They are very purple:what:
 
@Smythe89, Hello. I had a Mako robotic PKR on June 21, 2018. I am currently at about 6 weeks post op. I have the robotic incisions as well, and currently they are a bit red but very narrow with little scar tissue formation. Were those incisions closed with steri-strips or stitches? If not, possibly they just didn't stay closed during early healing so formed a bit more scar tissue. Or, some people just develop more scar tissue than others, although your main scar looks really good.

I watched a YouTube video that recommends massage to break up scar tissue. For those small puncture wounds, it would be fairly vigorous side-to-side massage for a few minutes several times a day. I massage all my incisions with bio-oil at least once a day. Maybe that will help.

I was surprised by the robotic scars. I didn't know to expect them after surgery. The ones on my thigh never hurt and are barely visible. The ones of my calf ended up hurting quite a bit, but I think will be minimal once they completely heal. Since they place the "arrays," which are essentially antennas to communicate with the robot, directly into both the tibia and femur bones, I guess it's to be expected that they might hurt a bit on healing. I think it's worth the trade-off, though, for the precision in placement of the replacement components.

I hope your recovery is going well. --Tricia
 
Hi Tricia, the sites were closed with sutures. I’m 2 1/2 months out now and they seem to be getting less angry looking. They are still quite purple but I’m assuming that will resolve over time. Other than the look of things, I think my recovery is progressing well. I was able to resume my yoga practice which was a huge relief for me. Walking is pain free but I still feel some odd tightness while going down stairs. Still early enough in recovery so I’m not concerned. I hope you are healing well. Cheers!
 
@Smythe89,

Good to see you are coming along quite well! You and I are almost exactly 1 month apart (my PKR was April 16). Even at 3 1/2 months, I still have a sense of tightness in my knee, especially when trying to get full flex and going down stairs. It’s especially noticeable when going down multiple flights (like when I’m walking down from the fourth floor of my office to the ground floor - I refuse to take the elevator as I prefer the extra exercise :climb:).

I find it amazing how different our bodies can be with regards to healing itself. I’ve got some areas from previous surgeries where the scars are still quite visible many years afterward, yet the scars from my Mako PKR just over 3 months ago are barely visible. Go figure?:shrug:

Keep up the good work and hopes that your recovery continues to progress well.
 
Well, I’m back and I’m bummed . I was doing so much better at 3 months post op than I am at 5 months post op. I’ve been having pain in the back of my knee and along the outer tendon. I’m limping again and not much better than I was pre-op. I went back to my surgeon on Tuesday. Xrays where good. MD restarted anti-inflammatory meds. Said MRI in a few weeks if no improvement. The only difference in my activity level has been an increase in stair climbing. We moved into a home that has 15 steps up to the front door.

Doc told me to lay off the stairs:loll: ummmm, no can do! Anyone else slide back like this?
 
I will tag @Josephine for you.

When did you move into this house and how many times a day do you do the stairs?

If you’re going up foot over foot, maybe try sometimes just one foot at a time until you have more time to adjust?

I know we all get tired of hearing it, but 5 months is still a ways from fully healed.
 
And yes, I had a major set back at 4 months post op that took a couple of months for me to come out of.
 
I went to the pool at 4 months. It felt so good to swim again and I had no pain! Well, that night, and the next two weeks, I felt pain! It is so easy to overdo and not know it until later. I bet those stairs have angered your knee and your inflammation has increased. That would explain your increased pain. Can you do the steps the baby way for a while to give your knee a break?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom